Supers Image game

phoenix240

When people think of "magical intelligent weapons," they always think of swords.  Always.  100% of the time.  I chalk it up to an appalling lack of imagination.  I mean, who says a quarterstaff can't be imbued with magic and become a vessel for a spiritual essence?  Well, pal, let me tell you, it can, because that's what I am.  And at least I don't have to spend most of my time with my head stuck in a scabbard.  I get to see a whole lot more of the world than your average magical sword, let me tell you.

But where are my manners?  Allow me to introduce myself:  I'm Beuregard, but you can call me Bo.  That guy in black carrying me is my buddy Duke Lucas.  I found Duke -- well, he says he found me, but that's just humancentric ego talking -- when he took a taekwondo class after his brother moved out of state.  He wasn't the greatest fighter, to be honest, but I could tell he was a good guy, so I let him carry me around, and in return I help him fight crime.  Believe me, giving ol' Duke the fighting skills of generations of martial artists has come in handy!

We're just a couple of good ol' boys, never meaning no harm... but it seems like a lot of harm comes looking for us.  First, there was that piggy mayor and his idiot police chief.  Ye gods, was I glad to be rid of them when we moved to the big city!  But now we're fighting goons in green, cultists, and what have you.  It's a busy life, but then again, what the heck am I going to do with my time?

On 1/18/2018 at 5:27 PM, phoenix240 said:

38661147825_11f315b395_o.jpg

The Battlemaster

David Yeung stumbled through the door of his apartment and  made his way to the kitchen.  He pulled a bottle of water from the refrigerator and drank it down almost all at once--he would have preferred beer, but he had to be up in the morning to work at his father's plumbing supplies shop, then work tomorrow night at his pizza delivery job.  It was long and tiring and never seemed to end, but soon he would have enough money for a better place, and maybe even a decent car.  Things were going his way--but for now, he needed to get some sleep--

-I AM HERE.-

David looked around in wide-eyed surprise.  Someone had spoken to him.  He tried to see where the voice had come from--and then he realized he hadn't actually heard a voice, even though the words were quite clear.  They seemed to come from inside and outside of him simultaneously.  How was that even possible?

-I AM HERE, DAVID YEUNG.-

"Where?  Where are you?"

-I AM HERE.-

"Why can't I see you?"

-BECAUSE I CHOOSE NOT TO BE SEEN.-

"You choose.  .  .not.  .  .to be seen.  What does that even mean?"

-IT MEANS I CANNOT BE SEEN UNLESS I WILL IT!  IS THAT SO DIFFICULT A CONCEPT TO GRASP!-

"Well--can you let me see you?"

-YOU HAVE ALREADY SEEN ME.  REMEMBER THE NIGHT BEFORE?-

The night before.  The night before, David had finished a delivery and happened to look down an alley, where he saw a couple of street thugs kicking an old man lying on the ground.  David grabbed a metal pipe he kept in his delivery car for just such a purpose, then raced down the alley and attacked the thugs, who fled the scene after a few well-placed blows.  David checked to make sure the old man was all right.  He seemed to be unconscious, but when he went to pick up his phone from where he'd dropped it, he took his eyes off the man for the briefest of moments--and when he turned back, he was gone.

"So.  .  .that was you?"

-INDEED.-

"Well--who are you?  How did you disappear like that?"

-IT IS WHAT I HAVE TRAINED MYSELF TO DO FROM MY EARLIEST DAYS.  THE MASTERY OF NINJITSU THAT I HAVE ATTAINED ALLOWS ME TO PASS COMPLETELY UNNOTICED WHEREVER I CHOOSE TO GO.-

"Wait--you're a ninja?  No way!"

-NOT JUST ANY NINJA.  I AM NINJITSU-SAI--SAINT OF INVISIBILITY.  MANY YEARS AGO I RESOLVED TO BECOME A TRUE MASTER OF NINJITSU, AND PUT ASIDE ALL OTHER PURSUITS TO STUDY MY ART FULLY.  AFTER YEARS OF PERFECT PRACTICE I BECAME SO THOROUGHLY PROFICIENT THAT I COULD DEFEAT ANY ATTEMPT TO PERCEIVE ME.  SO GREAT WAS MY SKILL IN THE ART THAT NOT EVEN DEATH COULD FIND ME--AND THUS DID I PASS THE CENTURIES.-

"Until the night before."

-YES.  FOR A BRIEF, CARELESS MOMENT I ALLOWED MY CONCENTRATION TO FAIL, AND THUS DID I BECOME VULNERABLE.  WERE IT NOT FOR YOUR AID, DEATH WOULD HAVE SURELY CLAIMED ME AFTER ALL THIS TIME.  THUS, I AM IN YOUR DEBT.-

"Well, I'm glad I could help, but you don't really owe me.  .  ."

-YES, I DO!  YOU SAVED MY LIFE, AND YOU SHALL BE REWARDED FOR YOUR BRAVERY!  I SHALL TEACH YOU NINJITSU!-

"Wait, what?"

-I MIGHT NOT SURVIVE THE NEXT TIME I BECOME VULNERABLE.  THE SKILLS I HAVE ATTAINED AND PERFECTED THROUGH CENTURIES OF PRACTICE MUST NOT BE LOST!  I SHALL PASS THEM ON TO YOU, AND YOU SHALL SUCCEED ME AS NINJITSU-SAI!-

"Look, I'm okay with my life right now.  I don't want to be a ninja."

-SILENCE!  THE DECISION IS MADE!  YOU ARE MY PUPIL!  I AM YOUR MASTER!  I SHALL TEACH!  YOU WILL LEARN!-

"I'm not even Japanese!  I'm Korean--third generation!  I don't even speak Korean!  Pisses my father off like you wouldn't believe--"

-SILENCE!  YOU WILL LEARN NINJITSU!-

Thus did David Yeung become the student of the Ninjitsu-Sai,  It's not exactly the easiest course of study, what with his teacher constantly berating him, incessantly pointing out his mistakes, and reinforcing the lessons with the occasional stinging whack to the back of the hand or the back of the neck--but he does seem to be taking to the art quicker than his master would have expected of an indolent, slack-faced bag of flesh.  (His words, not mine.)  The crimefighting was actually David's idea--the Ninjitsu-Sai was opposed to it at first, but David pointed out that as long as he had to learn ninjitsu he might as well do something useful with it, and training to be a stealth-based warrior would be much more intensive if he had actual enemies to fight.  The Ninjitsu-Sai especially objected to the uniform (-CHEAP THEATRICS!  A NINJA SHOULD NOT CALL ATTENTION TO HIMSELF IN SUCH FASHION!  THE ONLY TRACES A NINJA SHOULD LEAVE OF HIS PRESENCE ARE THE CORPSES OF HIS ENEMIES!-)  and to the name (-BATTLEMASTER!  YOU DARE CALL YOURSELF MASTER!  IT WOULD BE MORE PROPER TO CALL YOURSELF BATTLEWORM!-) but again, David pointed out that first, his enemies would be looking for a man in an all-black outfit, and not a Korean-American in T-shirt and denims, second, there were laws against murder, even when it came to criminals, and third, the name Battleworm is extremely unlikely to strike terror into the hearts of one's enemies.

Other than that, things have been going well.  The Battlemaster has made quite a name for himself as a determined and effective street-level crimefighter.  A few superteams have extended an invitation to join, but David has declined for now--easier to work solo than to explain who he was talking to all the time.  And he has actually managed to impress the Ninjitsu-Sai on a number of occasions--not that he'd let David know that.

*****************************************************************************************

*Leaves the submission on phoenix240's desk*

"There.  It was close, but I think we beat the deadline."

-SILENCE!  DO YOU WISH EVERYONE TO KNOW WE ARE HERE?  YOUR VOICE IS NOT SO PLEASANT THAT EVERYONE MUST HEAR IT!-

"Neither is yours.  C'mon, let's go."

*Slips out the window*

I'm really torn. All three entries were good I thin Death Tribble and WCW''s meshed well with picture's mood and contents, Bolo Of Earth's was an interesting and new take on it I hadn't considered before. The touches of humor were good too. It was a touch choice but I think I'll go with WcW for this one as it hits a good middle ground between I enjoyed about the previous entries and does so in a creative way that shows allot of effort and thought. 

Take it away, wcw43921! The Battlemaster wins

1 hour ago, wcw43921 said:

Thank You.  And here is the next image--

rat_superhero_by_twintwosgirl.png

(I can not tell if that Symbol is a B or a R. I will go with B).

It was the 1980's and two large Empires were at war. Both professionals and normal citizens were taking a side. It was the Videotape format war!

Betram Muscul was a ardent supporter of the Betamax side. And then he found a magical bottle. Unfortunately his knowledge of Genies was from the show "I Dream of Jeanie" and he had missed the Episode where she was asked to act "exactly like the Genies in the stories 1001 Nights" due to the short recording time of the Betamax tapes. Otherwise he might have known better then to utter a wish.

When he asked jokingly to become "the Hero of Betamax", he was not speaking clearly to the genie. Wich gave the genie more then enough room for a ... creative interpretation.

And thus Beta Mouse was born. His powers include:

The size of a Betamax Videocasette. Wich is pretty small.

Photographic recall of events, but only as far back as a Betamax Recoring can go. As different tapes with different Speeds and lenghts could last different times, he can memorize things father back with with decreasingly poor image/memory quality.

The ability to stretch as far as a Betamax tape could (half of 254 meters or 127 meters)

Immuntiy to damage from being streched forcefully or being teared in any way.

His greatest weakness are of course the dread of every magnetic tape owner:

Strong Magnetic fields.

And being pulled to a long and knotted into a tangle.

Despite this less then stellar Origin, he was still a decent hero of his time. And of our time. Because in a element of cruelty, Beta Mouse was given immuntiy to the ravages of time and most forms of death. So he is sitll active, 40 years after the Videotape Format War was a thing. And most people do not even know what a Betamax or VHS Videotape is.

17 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Mighty Mouse

'Here he comes to save the day !'. Every time a cartoon of Mighty Mouse comes on TV, an ordinary Mouse can become a version of Mighty Mouse and take to the air to fight crime. The legend goes that a hero who was either dying or being drained of their powers managed to somehow link some of their power to a television show. Now whenever that show airs someone can inherit the power ? Only somehow due a malfunction, bad luck or a curse a mouse gets the power whenever a Mighty Mouse cartoon airs. This has exasperated the Underworld and would have exasperated cats as well if they knew what was going on. Someone in the entertainment industry has arranged for the cartoon to keep playing at least once a week. And no it does not happen when Andy Kaufman does his impression. 

On 1/23/2018 at 10:01 AM, BoloOfEarth said:

When people think of "magical intelligent weapons," they always think of swords.  Always.  100% of the time.  I chalk it up to an appalling lack of imagination.  I mean, who says a quarterstaff can't be imbued with magic and become a vessel for a spiritual essence?  Well, pal, let me tell you, it can, because that's what I am.  And at least I don't have to spend most of my time with my head stuck in a scabbard.  I get to see a whole lot more of the world than your average magical sword, let me tell you.   etc.

More like 99%. I've have an NPC for over 20 years in the campaign that has an intelligent staff. Always gets a "whaaaat?" reaction from the superheroes when it talks aloud. :D

5 minutes ago, Tech said:

More like 99%. I've have an NPC for over 20 years in the campaign that has an intelligent staff. Always gets a "whaaaat?" reaction from the superheroes when it talks aloud. :D

I made a character with a Magic Staff myself. Septa.

Plus that one character for the Theme Team Thread, wich was part of my "3 Blades" Storyline.

38 minutes ago, phoenix240 said:

Since Staves are so associated with a wizard's ensemble, seems like magical, intelligent ones would be more commonplace when you think about it, 

But this was specifically about magic weapons. Staffs are rarely used as weapons by mages.

Indeed one of the RPG systems had a enchanment on the Staff that allowed turning it into a burning sword somewhat on demand (I think it cost mana per turn or something). When one of hte 7 enchanments you put on your Wizards staff is "turn into sword", you know it is not intended as a weapon.

9 minutes ago, Christopher said:

But this was specifically about magic weapons. Staffs are rarely used as weapons by mages.

They aren't?

In my experience, they usually are. Bo sized staves are some of the only weapons wizards can use. Handy for cracking things when you're out of spells. Or just weapons in the sense they channel their offensive magic through them. They're not just walking sticks (not all wizards are elderly or weak of constitutions and most staves are inconvenient size and weight for walking sticks) In any case, big thick pieces of wood are usually weapons in the hands other people not gifted with magical spells on a non wizard that gets their hands on a wizard's intelligent magical walking stick , phallic symbol or whatever now has a magical intelligent weapon. :)

On 1/25/2018 at 2:29 PM, wcw43921 said:

Thank You.  And here is the next image--

Hopefully not too late:

Coming home from a hockey game in Florida, the team mascot was bathed in a strange mystical light and merged with his mascot uniform.  Now, whenever he gets his adrenaline pumped up he transforms into what the news has dubbed him "Ratman".  Sadly, as a Rat of Unusual Size mascot, he can't speak but he gets super strength, durability, rat senses, and a tail.

Found a cool mascot demo of a rat on youtube.  Link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Nwbr5bVgo

12 hours ago, death tribble said:

Is the sky blue ?

Are puppies and kittens cute ?

Is Gillian Anderson a goddess ?

The answer to all of these is Yes.

Snow72.jpg

This is Aquarium , othoe that is the name which humans have given her. She can survive forever in water, and can shapeshifter into any aquatic animal, fully or in part. She roams the seas, having crashed her spaceship into the waters of this planet. Her goal, to observe the planet and it's life forms. She thinks most of the planet's life is in the water, and cares not for the animals of dry land. She is not exactly a hero. But she is not exactly a villain either.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:11 AM, death tribble said:

Is the sky blue ?

Are puppies and kittens cute ?

Is Gillian Anderson a goddess ?

The answer to all of these is Yes.

Snow72.jpg

Flurry, a being with the elemental ability to control snow in all of its forms, from gentle snowfalls to raging blizzards.

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

On 2.2.2018 at 3:11 PM, death tribble said:

Snow72.jpg

The Ice Queen

In a past age, Elves were a very common sight on earth. They had numerous tribes or subspecies. One of them were teh "Frostheart Clan". They had adapted their magic and body entirely to thriving at the poles. So complete was their transformation, that really strong feelings of love can literally thaw their heart - wich can be deadly over long time. As such they tended towards being emotionally stunted. Eventually they just turned their back on the world quite literally - they shifted their entire Kingdom/City out of normal spacetime.

A year ago they reappeared, much to the worlds and their own dislike. Apparently they needed the "present and future cold" of the north to maintain their shifting spell. And as can be expected, humans accelerating Climate Change disrupted their ability to just "stay outside". While the presence of the City in normal space has a cooling effect, at present rate it oculd take centuries to resore enough cold and ice to the north. It would go a lot faster if humanity just stopped poluting.

Only few have thus far left the Frostheart Clan encalve, and most of them have been villians trying to end humanity - without official sanction by the King and Queen. The Ice Queen is a exception to that in more then one way:

Back when the shifting spell began weakening, the then Queen made a few "excursions" onto earth, fell in love and got pregnant. Unforunately the love for the childs father and the child melted her heart, killing her shortly after she had given birth.

While that gave her de-jure the strongest claim to the throne, a lot of people did not like the prospect of being ruled by a "halfblood". So her halfbrother - sired by the previous king - tried to kill her. She escaped into the world.

Powers and Personality:

While she does not have the weakness of Forstheart elves regarding strong emotions, she is not exactly the most outgoing personality. This is not a unexpected result from being raised among the Frostheart elves.

One of the few emotions she is clear on is her hatred for her father: In her mind it was him that killed her mother, both directly and indirectly through her.

While she could be the ideal "bridge between the worlds" Arthur Curry style, she is currently more intersted in getting back on her throne.

She inehrited her mothers strong ice magic skills. While she lacks the full resistance to cold of a trueblood - forcing her to wear full body thermal clothing - she is none the less a powerfull user of the frozen way. Aside from the usual Elemental Blaster abilities, she has some odder ability: The abiltiy to put people into a perfect statis,s similar to freezing time.

Her skin emits a level of cold that is painfull for all normal humans. While she claims she can not control it, some theories are that it is her way of keeping "distance" between herself and the humans. As truebloods are nearly immune to cold, it is unclear if she always had this ability. Or it is only a psychological defense to keep humans away.

She never has to use blunt force agaisnt barriers, as she has a reare skill - true negation. This ability can negate all forms of energy. And once it ran out of energy to be negated, it will convert mater into energy to convert it as well. It is a cold that can eat any energy and even mater.