Pushing in Heroic Campaigns

Joe Walsh

Question

I'd always understood pushing in heroic campaigns to be as follows:

With a successful EGO roll, a heroic character can push up to +5 CP, with an additional +1 per point the EGO roll succeeds by, to a maximum of +10.

On page 20 of Champions Complete, however, it says:

Pushing in Heroic campaigns requires an EGO Roll (though the GM might forego this in particularly crucial situations, or grant a bonus to the roll). The character gains 1 CP to the ability per 1 point he makes the roll by, to a maximum of +5 CP.

This seems to indicate that a heroic character can only push to a maximum of +5 CP, and simply making the EGO roll gains him +0 CP. He must succeed by at least 1 point in order to get +1 CP for pushing.

First, am I understanding the rule as it existed in the past and the rule in Champions Complete correctly?

If so, is this a deliberate change, or an error in the text?

1 answer to this question

Since I neither wrote, edited, reviewed, nor approved Champions Complete, I'm not in a position to comment on its rules, or the intent of its author (though Derek posts on the boards frequently and can certainly respond to you on the Discussion board if he sees this). However, the official rule in 6E2 is this:

A character in a Heroic campaign may push his STR or abilities up to 5 Character Points with a successful EGO Roll, +1 Character Point for every 1 point by which he makes the EGO Roll.

So I think the CC rule is consistent with the official rules; it's just stated a little differently.