Proportional Mind Control

mhd

One thing that always bothered me a bit was the need for multiple rolls with some powers when combined with RSR and that the skill roll doesn't matter all that much, it's just binary.

But APG I has the "Proportional" modifier, which sounds quite useful for that. So I'm thinking about combing that with standard effect, so that alll I need to roll is the skill roll. Just wonder whether I interpret that the right way.

So let's say I've got "Mind Control 8d6; RSR(proportional; +20%/200% max) +1/2". 60 Active Points, standard effect 24. (RSR is -1/2, +20% is "1 less limitation", so +1/2, right?)

Now for every point I'm below the -6 skill roll, I get 20% of active points. I assume that includes the +1/2 modifier. So I get 12 points of Mind Control (4 point standard effect), or 24/5 -> 4.8 standard effect points (rounding down would seem fair).

In the end it's a -6 roll, if I just make it, I've got a 24 vs. EGO result, for every point I'm better than required, I add 4 points to that.

So, how many mistakes did I make? ;)

Rounding down may seem "fair", but the normal rule in Hero is that any fractions over 0.5 always round up, any fractions below 0.5 always round down, and fractions at exactly 0.5 round in whichever direction favors the character. Thus 4.8 rounds to 5, not 4.

The problem with this exact point value is that your added points of standard effect aren't always the same value: For your first 20%, you get a +4, for 40% you get +9 etc.

If I want to be truly correct, I probably couldn't just say that "for each X you get +Y", but to give the exact point values for each increment. Given that there are only five, it's still a surmountable effort ;)