Fast Draw and VPP

bigdamnhero

Question

A character wants to have a Weapons VPP defined as "Yeah, I have a weapon which does that" rather than "Let me build a weapon which does that." He can only have one weapon ready at a time, so the Base Pool is only enough to have one slot active at a time. No Power Skill Roll required to change slots, because he's just changing between weapons he's already carrying rather than creating new ones. We added an additional Limitation to reflect that he can only carry so many weapons at once, and can only change that load out at his Base; but he can swap freely between the weapons he's carrying. So far so good I think.

He wants to be able to change weapons as a 1/2 Phase action by default, or as a 0 Phase action if he makes a Fast Draw Roll. Which of these builds are legal (with GM permission, natch) and is any one more legal than the others? They all cost about the same at his current power level and with existing Modifiers.

1. VPP is built with "Requires 1/2 Phase to Change" (+1/2). Character buys Fast Draw Skill defined as applying to his VPP weapons. A Fast Draw Roll means he can change slots between carried weapons as a 0 Phase action.

2. VPP is built with a custom Advantage "Requires 1/2 Phase to Change or 0 Phase with a DEX Roll" (+3/4). Fast Draw Skill not required.

3. VPP is built with "Requires 0 Phase to Change" (+1), and an additional Limitation "Requires Fast Draw Roll or Takes 1/2 Phase to Change." Character purchases Fast Draw Skill normally.

4. ...Something else I didn't think of.

1 answer to this question

Hmmm... I am now wrestling with the philosophical concept of "more legal." :)

The #1 option is the most appropriate one in most campaigns I think, though I can see where come GMs might prefer to use #2 so as not to set a precedent for changing VPP slots faster using a Skill.