Variable advantage, END, and more

Logan D. Hurricanes

Question

This might get weird, so go get something to drink.

Ok, so let's say I have a power with Variable Advantage. For ease of bookkeeping,

Example Blast: 12d6 EB, and the only modifier is +1/4 Variable Advantage (+1/2). Cost: 90. Active points: 90.

Is the END cost of the attack for the full 90 points, or for the 12d6 plus effective 1/4 advantage? What if the 1/4 advantage take is 1/2 END? It would be half of what, exactly?

Next, let's say I have a multipower with two slots:

f. Example Blast: 12d6 EB

f. Example Killing Attack: 4d6 RKA

I want to buy a Naked Advantage: Variable Advantage outside of the multipower to affect both slots.

1) Is this kosher?

2) Assuming yes, What would be the related END cost of the Naked Adv. power? Would using it as 1/2 END modify itself, too, or just the primary power? Do Limitations on the Naked Adv. affect the whole primary power? Even if it's Variable Limitation?

Have you an example character that uses Variable Advantage with or without Variable Limitations?

1 answer to this question

1.  The END cost for this power is ordinarily 9 END. If the character assigns the Variable Advantage to Reduced Endurance (½ END), the END cost becomes 4 END. See 6E1 361, right column, second paragraph.

2a.  That’s up to the GM, particularly since Variable Advantage is a “Stop Sign” ability. But unless I’m overlooking something I don’t believe there’s any rule that specifically forbids this power construct.

2b.  The naked Advantage in this case would cost 30 Active Points, so it has an END cost of 30. As a distinct, separate power (see 6E1 314), this naked Advantage has its own END cost, so assigning it to Reduced Endurance to decrease the END cost of a slot has no effect on the END cost of the naked Advantage itself.

Examples of characters from Champions Villains who use Variable Advantage:  Dr. Destroyer (Miniaturized Arsenal example power); Spectra; Subedar; Skarn the Shaper; Tezcatlipoca; the Warlord; Gyre; Orion; Devastator; Eclipsar; Exo; Gauntlet; Howler; Morningstar; Rodrigo the Wonder Squirrel.

Examples of characters from the HERO System Bestiary who use Variable Advantage:  Djinn; Hunter-Seeker Robot.