Help Reviewing My Character?

Supabeasto

Hello all,

I only recently started getting into Champions after having played Pathfinder for a long while. I bought Champions Complete, but it's still radically different from PF.

I think I've been doing ok, and using a bunch of stuff from Lucha Libre Hero (The book that made me want to switch in the first place), I think I finished my first character.

I didn't know how to copy over the basics, but here is the sheet I made using the Hero Designer.

If you guys could just let me know if it looks alright or what I should work on, that would be great!

El Toro.pdf

Your defenses seem pretty weak for a 350 point superhero (assuming that's what you are).  A 10d6 attack (about average for this power level) has a very good chance of stunning you, for example.  It does 35 points of damage, if you make your CON roll for your defenses to kick in, you take 19 points, which is just shy of stunning you.  If they get a little lucky or you fail your con roll, you'll be stunned. (looks like you'll be stunned something like 75% of the time from a 10d6 attack hitting you).

You also don't have any tactical or strategic movement powers. 

Situation 1: a flying blaster has set down on a roof close by and is blasting you.  You can't fly or leap very high, guess you are taking the stairs, or something.

Situation 2: a bank is being robbed a few miles away, how are you going to get there? a taxi-cab?  What if it's rush hour?

If you don't think your concept will stretch to flying or super leaping, or vanishing teleport, or whatever, get another 10 points of disada and get yourself a motorcycle or jetpack or something.

Last, how do you find out about crime to go and stop?

Your nose for evil is only 9- if I'm reading it right, so it's not exactly reliable.  (If it a clown nose, or something? is that why it's OIF?)

A head set radio (High range radio perception -1/2 OIF, -1/2 effected as sight and hearing group) is only 5 points and lets you justify hearing about a lot more stuff.  Plus it would let you talk to your team-mates across town.

Your REC also looks pretty low for someone who can expect to take a pounding.  I'd try to get it to 15.

You also have a large number of points sunk into martial arts, but I'm not sure the moves are really all that different, consider cutting down you list of moves by about half and adding more STR or damage classes.

For bonus sillyness add 'required (constant?) gestures' to 100% Pure Machismo so you have to pose to get the bonus.

Welcome to Hero, you've taken your first step into a larger world, yadda yadda! Overall, I'd say you have a pretty solid character build. Just a few notes:

• It looks like you're using 5th Edition? Just be aware that Champions Complete is 6th Edition. Either version is great, and you can certainly steal material from either one, but the costs will be completely different in some cases.
  • With 20 STR & 20 CON, your Base PD & ED are 4; so buying them up to 10 only costs you 6 each, not 8.
  • With a 20 DEX, your Base SPD is 3. (1+20/10), which means you only need to spend 20 points to get up to 5.
  • Consider buying up Running and Leaping with the points I just saved you. (You're welcome!)
  • If it were me, I might buy his STUN up a bit too if you want him to be Technico Tough. :)
  • I wouldn't make you pay for the Increased Arc Of Perception on your Nose For Evil. (Awesome Lucha power BTW!) While the Smell/Taste Group does not get 360 Degrees for free, Normal Smell does, and I think that's more relevant here.
  • For your +3 with any single attack, you have to define what that attack is ahead of time, ie "+3 with Hammerlock" or similar. It's not any one attack at a time. I suspect what you want is Skill Levels with Martial Arts, which (assuming 5ed) is typically a 3-point CSL.

Re Crusher Bob's comments above: it depends on the type of game you're planning to play. If it's a standard superhero setting, yeah you might want to buy up your defenses so you don't go splat the first time you fail a CON Roll. If it's a Lucha game, then you're probably okay.

Thanks for all the help guys!

I took into consideration everything you guys said, and I ended up kind making El Toro a little more....heroic.

Basically I just took Ironclad's stats and made adjustments to the previous powers, hehe. I also didn't notice I was on a 5e template, so I switched to 6e.

As far as detecting crime and stuff, I decided to go with a contact, hoping to make her my eyes and ears on the street.

Other than that, let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: I see now that I was way off base with my points. Attached is a revised 6e version built using 400pts. (Assuming I did that right...)

El Toro-Super.pdf

Edited by Supabeasto

Hey Supabeasto,

Just a few things:

1) Why is the well-oiled body a -1 disadvantage?  Do you want it to be OAF, as far as being easily taken off/disarmed?  The perceivable is fine if you keep it by itself- you might want to make it OIF so it's harder to be taken off (which would make the perceivable unavailable).

2) I would give your character some kind of damage reduction- perhaps requiring a CON roll to make it cheaper.

3) I'd make you buy the danger sense without costing endurance or the additional skill roll- but depends on what the GM will allow.

4) Your Bull's Gore is a 23d6 (115 pt) attack- is the GM going to allow that?

5) Buy Chokehold as a martial arts maneuver, you can add damage classes to it.

6) Are you going to buy any CSLs? You may have a hard time hitting targets with only a 6 OCV, unless you have a party member who will entangle enemies for you, grab them, or knock them prone.

The character is hilariously awesome though.

Howdy!

The answer to just about any "Why" question is pretty much: Because I thought I knew what I was doing, haha.

That said, I'm still learning quite a bit from tweaking El Toro.

I'll actually be the GM for our game, I just wanted to try my hand at character creation since I'll have to be the one helping everyone. I definitely can't wait for someone else to take over as GM so I can play this guy and suplex my way to victory!

Aaaaanyway, I took all the points to heart and made some tweaks. The biggest change is that I've made El Toro's mask an OIF that gives the character his stat boosts.

4.) I changed Bull's Gore to a more toned down, HKA.

5.) I dropped Chokehold as a power and added a Sleeper Hold as a maneuver.

6.) I didn't buy any CSLs, but I did get something a little more fitting :snicker:

All in all, I think this is a lot closer to what I originally envisioned the character as, so thank you for the help!

El Toro-Super.HTML

Howdy!

The answer to just about any "Why" question is pretty much: Because I thought I knew what I was doing, haha.

That said, I'm still learning quite a bit from tweaking El Toro.

I'll actually be the GM for our game, I just wanted to try my hand at character creation since I'll have to be the one helping everyone. I definitely can't wait for someone else to take over as GM so I can play this guy and suplex my way to victory!

Aaaaanyway, I took all the points to heart and made some tweaks. The biggest change is that I've made El Toro's mask an OIF that gives the character his stat boosts.

4.) I changed Bull's Gore to a more toned down, HKA.

5.) I dropped Chokehold as a power and added a Sleeper Hold as a maneuver.

6.) I didn't buy any CSLs, but I did get something a little more fitting :snicker:

All in all, I think this is a lot closer to what I originally envisioned the character as, so thank you for the help!

Cool.  El Toro is hilariously awesome.  I do think you should raise his defenses, or give him damage reduction- as he's a little on the weak side as far as defense- if you're going for a brick.  If you want to keep him as a martial artist (brawler) subtype, then I would keep him as is- but just understand his limitations.