Season Three Arena Draft concepts

薔薇語

Regarding weight classes: not a chance. It's a good idea, and one I've considered before, but I can't even get everyone agreeing on what constitutes a legacy character or a focus wielding character; there's zero chance that agreement would exist on the different weight classes.

That being said, I was considering making a season (3?) entirely a "non-powered" arena where combatants would be centered around the Nightwing/ Green Arrow/ Black Canary/ Captain America level. This would still need power levels established first, but there are so many fun characters, including the Golden Agers people like dipping into, that this might make for an interesting set-up.

Thoughts?

So you're suggesting a separate non-powered Arena league then? If Captain America is the top end of power, that still gives a good range.

Would that mean then that the original Arena league would be for super-powered characters?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That being said, I was considering making a season (3?) entirely a "non-powered" arena where combatants would be centered around the Nightwing/ Green Arrow/ Black Canary/ Captain America level. This would still need power levels established first, but there are so many fun characters, including the Golden Agers people like dipping into, that this might make for an interesting set-up.

Thoughts?

I like this idea.  A lot.

Another rule: Winning Teams have at least one Martian or Kryptonian.  Martians and Kryptonians never lose.  Far from being considered ridiculous Munchkins with every power in the Champions rulebook, they are fan favorites.

This is the second time I have seen this sentiment and it is simply false.  

Miss Martian has lost 2 of 5 matches, 1/2 of her team matches and 1/3 of her solo matches.

Martian Manhunter has lost at least one round this season.

Powergirl has lost at least one round.

I'm reasonably certain I remember Krypto losing at least 1 round last season despite his popularity.

Martians and Kryptonians are tough to be sure, and generally popular, but claiming they "never lose" is just not true.

Regarding weight classes: not a chance. It's a good idea, and one I've considered before, but I can't even get everyone agreeing on what constitutes a legacy character or a focus wielding character; there's zero chance that agreement would exist on the different weight classes.

Thoughts?

I'd be fine with a 'power nullifying arena' that pops up once every week and a half, but I'm not sure I'd have as much fun taking the powers out of it entirely.

Thoughts?

I love this idea.  I think we should do it. 

I am curious where the line would be drawn.  We've already established that Captain America, Nightwing, Black Canary, and Green Arrow are in.  Who's out?  Ultimately, is it about powers vs. no powers, or is it about Damage Class (to use HERO terminology)?  

For example, which of the following characters would be eligible for such a contest, and which would not?

Nightcrawler:  Clearly superpowered, but not in a way that makes him a combat monster (if you'll pardon the expression).

The Atom (Ray Palmer): No inherent superpowers, but super technology, mostly with noncombat applicability. 

Karate Kid:  Technically has no superpowers, but somehow is able to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Superman.

Stargirl:  Has no superpowers, but has an OAF that makes her a formidable combatant.

Kitty Pryde: Again, clearly superpowered, but but her powers are not primarily combat-oriented.

Luke Skywalker:  A great hand-to-hand combatant with the light sabre, but does his connection to The Force disqualify him? 

Worf: Greater strength, endurance, and pain tolerance than normal humans, but not particularly superhuman in any other way.

Lady Stilt-Man: No superhuman powers, but with advanced technology (that most people don't take seriously).

Taskmaster: Superhuman ability to copy other people's skills, but not superhuman powers. 

Naturally, I'm assuming that characters like Iron Man, Deathlok, Shaman, and all the Green Lanterns are right out.

Thoughts?

Silly concepts are important to me. So....

If I were playing this game, I would be tempted to draft up a team full of underground comix characters and allied "super"'s, and close out with disgusting, smelly, ugly, stupid ones from other sources. Wonder Wart-Hog would be my leadoff man, but throw in Cheech Wizard, Fat Freddy's Cat, etc.

An intriguing if reprehensible team concept is "Who Had Who", a string of characters who were linked one-to-the-next by having slept with each other. Double points for things that were not human (or weren't any more).

That's a disturbing line of thinking. 

If it is limited to those without powers, we're probably looking at those who wouldn't look too out of place in Gotham City.

Taskmaster and Karate Kid I could see, but not Nightcrawler or Kitty Pryde. Maybe a "no mutants" rule?

I don't see the difference between Taskmaster and a mutant. Valor either. 

I love this idea.  I think we should do it. 

I am curious where the line would be drawn.  We've already established that Captain America, Nightwing, Black Canary, and Green Arrow are in.  Who's out?  Ultimately, is it about powers vs. no powers, or is it about Damage Class (to use HERO terminology)?

If we go with this idea, it would still take some interpretation on my part, I'm sure. Generally, I'm thinking this: No physical abilities beyond super soldier level. No super/fantasy tech. Some limited chi style powers.

For example, which of the following characters would be eligible for such a contest, and which would not?

Nightcrawler:  Out

The Atom (Ray Palmer): Out

Karate Kid:  Probably in

Stargirl:  Out

Kitty Pryde: Out

Luke Skywalker:  Out

Worf: In

Lady Stilt-Man: Out

Taskmaster: In

Naturally, I'm assuming that characters like Iron Man, Deathlok, Shaman, and all the Green Lanterns are right out. Correct

If we go with this idea, it would still take some interpretation on my part, I'm sure. Generally, I'm thinking this: No physical abilities beyond super soldier level. No super/fantasy tech. Some limited chi style powers.

Naturally, I'm assuming that characters like Iron Man, Deathlok, Shaman, and all the Green Lanterns are right out. Correct

So if your super power is being a great fighter you can be in?

Hmm.  Honestly, I'm not sure this leaves enough variety in the different characters to be interesting to me.  It's like a remake of The Karate Kid with costumes.

A little research, plus getting all the exams I'm grading over the next two weeks out of the way, may change my viewpoint, I suppose.

Hmm. Honestly, I'm not sure this leaves enough variety in the different characters to be interesting to me. It's like a remake of The Karate Kid with costumes.

A little research, plus getting all the exams I'm grading over the next two weeks out of the way, may change my viewpoint, I suppose.

There's lots of great choices in costumed heroes that don't have powers (or minor powers).

For example, I might keep either the Rocketeer or Huntress from my current roster, and they are pretty different from each other.

Based on the above, I think the Rocketeer is probably out (Sci-fi tech, unless there is a Golden Age exception). Huntress would be a good choice.

I'm still not sure why Black Canary would be in if Kitty and Kurt are out, though.

All the Bat family. All but one of the Watchmen. All the various Marvel Super Soldiers (Cap, Black Cat, Natasha, Red Skull, etc). And any number of the street level heroes like Dare Devil, Punisher, etc.

That said, given the size of the rosters and the number of people playing, that list will shrink real quick.

La Rose.