Season Three Arena Draft concepts

薔薇語

Probably. It is still essentially a humanly attainable skill.

Moondragon's psionics (TK and telepathy) is a human attainable skill i.e. mental discipline as opposed to Prof X which is because he is a mutant. 

Just to throw a "spanner in the works" for you. :D 

Maybe she would be allowed because she has a different non-physical but mental way of fighting. Up to you to decide Commish. :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it isn't.

Respectfully disagree.

The Priests of Pama are a sect of pacifist Kree, which were driven underground by the warrior Kree. The Priests learned to become masters in self-defense and meditation. While in hiding they were contacted by the plant people known as the Cotati, who were also secretly living on Hala. The Priests were eventually banished from Hala by the Supreme Intelligence. They would later come to dwell on the planet of Titan, where they trained the Earth woman Moondragon in their beliefs. The Priests are masters of the mind and its abilities; it was through their training that Moondragon became adept in her abilities.

My emphasis. 

Are we talking about "Full human potential" in-universe or in reality?

If we're talking about in-universe examples, I could see an argument for Val's super-karate or even Moondragon's extended abilities.  If they represent something that a sufficiently motivated and focused human being in that universe could attain, then they would still technically fit the 'no superhuman powers' criterion.

If we're looking at the real world, though, then those two examples would clearly be out--as would sonic screams and super-soldier serums.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out where the line is.  If we even end up going this route, that is.

If we hold strictly to "real world" limits as strictly understood, then even Cap can't be included as he is actually superhuman despite being said to be at "Peak human" levels. BUT if we are just saying that things that are full on stretches into fantasy (ESP, Spidey sense, TK, Mind Control) are banned but having buffs of real world abilities is okay, then we can still have Cap.

Another idea to keep us from running out of characters would be to reduce it from 5 battles to 3. That would give the Commish more time in the week, too. Then we wouldn't need 8 characters but maybe just 4 or 5.

La Rose.

Ok, I see where I caused the confusion. What I was trying to say was that if a skill is humanly attainable in reality, then there would be no question as to whether it would be allowed in such a game. I didn't mean to imply that only these skills would be allowed. I'm still pondering the whole "cruiserweight" concept, as well as the option of having cruiserweight arenas instead of an entire cruiserweight season.

If we limit it to what a human body is theoretically capable of doing, that gives us a baseline to work from. We're mainly talking about "street-level" superhero types that could be considered enhanced or preternaturally skilled as opposed to superhuman.

Captain America

Falcon

Daredevil

Elektra

Batman

Hawkeye

Green Arrow

Bane

Blue Beetle II

But probably not Black Lightning or Iron Fist because their abilities go beyond enhanced human or preternaturally skilled.

Pulp heroes like The Shadow? Maybe, not sure.

If you go the non-supers route, then perhaps you ought to have rounds that were explicitly not personal physical combat. A chess match? A Texas Hold 'Em match? A staredown? Three-on-three tug of war? A break the stone face joke-off? Cross-town pizza delivery time trials?

If you go the non-supers route, then perhaps you ought to have rounds that were explicitly not personal physical combat. A chess match? A Texas Hold 'Em match? A staredown? Three-on-three tug of war? A break the stone face joke-off? Cross-town pizza delivery time trials?

I was actually considering a Superdraft this summer based around a similar concept. 

Thinking about "Moondragon exception" a bit more and the no-supers. 

• Have all combatants have above average HTH-melee fighting skills.
  • Have all combatants have possesses no higher than peak human strength of a man/woman of his/her age, height and build who engages in regular/intensive exercise.
  • Combatants are allowed one power only as a "finishing move" cf Mortal Kombat. This finishing move is declared when drafted and can only be used after the Commish has posted results and before the thread is locked as owners discretion. So characters like Black Canary and Iron Fist can still be included as the focus is on their HTH-melee skills not their powers. 
  • Personal powers e.g. chi or Mantis' Nervous System Control* are allowed on a case by case basis to keep things fair. (*Mantis has "complete control" over her body. With her sheer force of will, she's capable of willing herself to recuperate quickly after being injured.) 

Thinking about "Moondragon exception" a bit more and the no-supers. 

• Have all combatants have above average HTH-melee fighting skills.
  • Have all combatants have possesses no higher than peak human strength of a man/woman of his/her age, height and build who engages in regular/intensive exercise.
  • Combatants are allowed one power only as a "finishing move" cf Mortal Kombat. This finishing move is declared when drafted and can only be used after the Commish has posted results and before the thread is locked as owners discretion. So characters like Black Canary and Iron Fist can still be included as the focus is on their HTH-melee skills not their powers. 
  • Personal powers e.g. chi or Mantis' Nervous System Control* are allowed on a case by case basis to keep things fair. (*Mantis has "complete control" over her body. With her sheer force of will, she's capable of willing herself to recuperate quickly after being injured.) 

There was no Moon-Dragon exception.