Gamma World Hero?

RPMiller

LL was kind enough to help me with my Cthulhu Hero question, and I'm hoping that he'll be able to help me likewise with resources for doing Gamma World Hero. It turns out that my son's group wants to do a post-apocalyptic setting in the same flavor as Gamma World, complete with animal characters.

One of them wants to be a telekinetic/cryokinetic penguin. So, I'll need stats for a penguin, which I couldn't find in any of the books. I've already warned him about the possibility of encountering a land killer whale. ;)

I'll probably be looking for weapons similar to Fallout 3/New Vegas as well. One of them wants to make a 40s/50s milkman that drives an old fashioned milk truck that he found in a museum and turned into his "battle van" complete with the milkman costume.

Yeah, this is going to be an out there group of characters.

You could possibly take the build for a large bird like an eagle and then tailor it, substituting swimming for flight.

I would suggest getting a copy of "Post-Apocalypse Hero" since it is awesome. It also has a Gamma World kind of mini-campaign included.

This being indispensable is such a burden. :rolleyes:

The following five links are to a complete world sourcebook (using 4E HERO).

Introduction and Conversion Guidelines:
http://web.archive.org/web/20091025090346/http://geocities.com/heartland/park/3440/player.html

Weapons and Armor:
http://web.archive.org/web/20091024215343/http://geocities.com/heartland/park/3440/weaparm.html

Setting Details:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090831124703/http://geocities.com/heartland/park/3440/settout.html

Combat and Adventuring:
http://web.archive.org/web/20091023092404/http://geocities.com/Heartland/park/3440/gmguide.html

Bestiary:
http://web.archive.org/web/20091023164945/http://geocities.com/Heartland/park/3440/whbeasts.html

The bottom of this page has links to NPCs, adventures and adventure seeds for GW:
http://web.archive.org/web/20091018193107/http://geocities.com/Heartland/Park/3440/rpgs.html

Website with 5E HERO writeups for a number of Gamma World setting elements, and direct conversions of character stats and basic concepts from several editions of GW:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090412065652/http://hierax.com/hero/star/gamma/
[i recommend navigating from the links on the menu to the left of the homepage.]

Packages for races and creatures from DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, GAMMA WORLD, GURPS Aliens, and RIFTS:
http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/champions.html#packages
[center column, "Racial Packages"]

(NOTE: The links on the webpage above are sometimes cranky and may take you to the author's homepage instead.  Just go Back and try the link again.)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been doing some research and found this handy resource:  http://www.paforge.com/pa_scenarios.html

Also have fleshed out a good portion of my campaign...just need to build all of the enemies/creatures/NPCs in Hero Builder.  Anyone know where I can find some prebuilt files?  Specifically for GM creatures?  The NPCs and enemies I obviously need to build myself...but not reinventing the wheel would be great.

Another question:  Anyone know a good mapping program?  I have a location picked out and Google Maps will allow me to print maps with no references on them...but I'd like something a bit...better.  Especially for the towns I have envisioned.  I've seen some of the online editors, but do they allow you to export to a larger size?  Something I could get laminated and/or printed out map size at a FedEx or the like? 

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I found a few more items that may help your campaign as well:

Ultimate Grand Unified Loot Table

Loot Generator

Apocalyptic Loot  (Note that you'll have to scroll down and click on the .pdf to open it)

Random Tables for Near Future Campaigns  (Note that this is a forum with links to all sorts of weird, but interesting, items)

So here's my attempt at the first two creatures listed in the GW4e Rules.  Some notes on how I came up with them:

- I based BODY as follows:

- 3d6 is the base roll for hit points in the GW rules and the average of that roll is 9

- I took the hit dice of the creature and divided it by 3 (the number of dice above)

- I multiplied that number by the average roll of 9

- So a 6 hit dice creature has 18 BODY (2 x 9), a 9 hit dice creature has 27 BODY (3 x 9) and so on

I felt this gave an accurate representation since the Characteristic Maxima (Champions Complete, page 21) for BODY is 20 (or just over 3d6)

- I based characteristics, powers, and complications on the text

- I used powers out of the Champions Powers book as much as possible

UPDATE: 

I also meant to tell you that I utilize EGO in the place of Morale. 

I have also cleaned up the spelling/grammatical errors.

Would *still* appreciate feedback. :)

Arks.hdc

Arns.hdc

Character Name: Arks
Alternate Identities: Hound Folk
Player Name: NPCs

CHARACTERISTICS

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes

18  STR    10         8       18     13- HTH Damage 3 1/2d6 END [4]

10   DEX   10         0        10     11-  

18   CON  10         8        18     13-  

27  BODY 10        17       27    

8     INT    10        -2         8      11- PER Roll 11-

10   EGO  10         0        10     11-  

10   PRE  10          0        10     11- PRE Attack: 2d6  

5     OCV   3          10        5

5     DCV   3          10        5 

6     PD      2          4         6  

6     PD (0 rPD)

6     ED      2          4         6  

6     ED (0 rED)

3     SPD   2.0       10         3      Phases: 4, 8, 12

16   REC   4          12        16    

50   END  20          6         50    

40  STUN 20         10        40    

18" Run   12          6         18m    

4" Swim    4           0           4m    

10" Leap  4           3          10m

112 Total Characteristics Points

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Total earned: 0

Spent: 0

Unspent: 0

Base Points: 200

Disad Points: 40

Total Points: 200

MOVEMENT

Type Total

Run (12) 18m [36m NC]

Swim (4) 4m [8m NC]

H. Leap (4m) 10m V. Leap (2m) 5m

DEFENSES

Type Amount

Physical Defense 6 Res.

Phys. Defense 0

Energy Defense 6 Res.

Energy Defense 0

Mental Defense 0

Power Defense 0

POWERS

Cost  Power END

1 Additional Reach 1m, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) 0

10 Bite: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (15 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2) 1

32 Life Leech: Drain BODY 2d6, Personal Immunity (Only for Their Own Life Leech; +1/4), Area Of Effect (10m Radius; +3/4) (40 Active Points); 6 Recoverable Charges (-1/4) [6 rc]

45 Telekinesis (30 STR) 4

88 Total Powers Cost

DISADVANTAGES

Cost  Disadvantage

25 Psychological Complication: Unreasonable Fear of Flying Creatures Very Common, Total

15 Dependent NPC: Non-Hunter Members of the Pack Infrequently, Normal, Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs

40 Total Disadvantages Cost

APPEARANCE Hair Color: Varies (See Below) Eye Color: Varies (See Below) Height: 3.00 m Weight: 159.00 kg

Description: These intelligent man-dogs grow to be 3 meters high when standing on their hind feet. Their hands have adapted to tool use. Their course, heavy fur offers substantial protection from the elements. They run the gamut of colors: bornw, black, white, blond, spotted, multihued, etc.

BACKGROUND The hound folk travel in lossely knit family units (2d6 encountered) called packs. These packs can be up to two dozen members strong, but the hunting parties rarely number more than a dozen. The pack is ruled by the alpha male, usually the ark with the most combat prowess. Other males will occasionally challenge the alpha male for the right to rule the pack. Sometimes a large pack will split, with part of it following a new alpha male and part of it staying with the old one.

PERSONALITY Arks have an unreasonable fear of flying creatures larger than 1 meter as well as modern technology. Advanced technology, however, is worshipped as totems. The alpha male's first wife is charged with the care and transportation of the totems. They consider human hands a delicacy.

POWERS/TACTICS Arks carry medieval weapons. They most commonly wear leather or studded leather armor and have rarely been seen without a shield of some sort. Their pack insignia is usually emblazoned upon their shields.

The arks' primary strategy is to attack from an ambush with guerrilla tactics, using their life leech mutation as much as possible. Since they are not immune to this power themselves, they life leach each other as well as the enemy in combat. However, their life leeching of each other tends to cancel itself out, so ignore it in larger fights.

CAMPAIGN_USE Arks are found in nonartic plans, forests, and hills.

Character Name: Arns
Alternate Identities: Dragon Bugs
Player Name: NPC

CHARACTERISTICS

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes

10  STR     10        0       10      11- HTH Damage 2d6 END [2]

15  DEX     10       10      15       12-  

10  CON     10       0        10      11-  

18  BODY   10       8        18    

5    INT        10      -5        5       10- PER Roll 10-

10  EGO     10       0        10      11-  

10  PRE     10        0        10      11- PRE Attack: 2d6                            

6    PD        2         4         6  

6    PD (0 rPD)

6    ED        2         4         6  

6    ED (0 rED)

3    SPD     2.0      10        3        Phases: 4, 8, 12

16  REC     4         12       16    

20  END     20        0         20    

20  STUN   20        0         20    

4" Run       12       -8        4m    

4" Swim      4          0        4m    

10" Leap    4          3        10m

58 Total Characteristics Points

COMBAT INFORMATION

OCV: 5 DCV: 5

Combat Skill Levels:

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Total earned:0

Spent: 0

Unspent: 0

Base Points: 175

Disad Points: 40

Total Points: 175

MOVEMENT

Type Total

Run (12) 4m [8m NC]

Swim (4) 4m [8m NC]

H. Leap (4m) 10m

V. Leap (2m) 5m

Flight 26m [52m NC]

DEFENSES

Type Amount

Physical Defense 6 Res.

Phys. Defense 0

Energy Defense 6

Res. Energy Defense 0

Mental Defense 0

Power Defense 0

Cost  Power END

20 Bite: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (30 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2) 3

10 Compound Eyes: Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) with Sight Group 0

26 Flight 26m 3

61 Poisonous Flesh: (Total: 157 Active Cost, 61 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2) (Real Cost: 35) plus Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Life Support (Immunity to Poison); +1), Does BODY (+1) (105 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), 4 Charges (-1), No Range (-1/2), Linked (Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand; -1/4) (Real Cost: 26) [4]

117 Total Powers Cost

DISADVANTAGES

Cost  Disadvantage

15 Distinctive Features: Humming Wings Not Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

10 Distinctive Features: Pearlescent Exoskeleton Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

15 Psychological Complication: Low Morale Common, Strong

Notes: If they take BODY damage for any reason, they must atempt an EGO roll at -1 per 2 BODY. If the roll fails, the Arn flees.

40 Total Disadvantages Cost

APPEARANCE Hair Color: N/A Eye Color: Black Height: 1.00 m Weight: 33.00 kg

Description: Colorful and pearlescent exoskeleton. BACKGROUND Arns congregate in swarms no greater than six in number unless food is scarce. If food is scarce, they are solitary hunters. The swarm brutally protects its territory whenever it is invaded by other arns, and drives other from the territory during famine.

If captured soon after emerging from its pupal stage, an arn can be trained to carry loads up to 100 kilograms. It only carries loads while airborne. It legs are unable to wield such weight. Dabbers use arns as mounts and pack animals.

PERSONALITY The arns prefer to eat small insects and rodents. They generally flee from prey larger than themselves, except in times of extreme hunger.

POWERS/TACTICS The flesh of an arn is very poisonous (see powers) and most predators choose not to hunt them. The arn has a vicious bite (see powers) and, once it has fed, will fly to the top of trees to bask in the sun until hungry or threatened.

If attacked, the arn must make a morale check with every successful strike against it. If this check fails, the arn takes flight and escapes if possible. If the arn kills its attacker, it injects the creature, using its coiled tubular mouth, with an acidic compound to liquefy the organs. After 10 minutes, the arn repunctures the creatures skin with its mouth and sucks out the fluid.

CAMPAIGN_USE Arns, mutated dragon flies, live solely in moist, humid regions of the world such as temperate/tropical swamps and coastal areas. Their compound eyes make it almost impossible to sneak up on them, unless one is invisible or shrouded in darkness. Their loudly humming wings can be heard from 100 meters away and make arns easy to detect.

• 9 months later...

UPDATE:  I've slowly been working on converting all of the creatures over into Hero System rules if anyone wants me to start posting them...  Didn't get very much feedback on the last round and would greatly appreciate some since I'm still a relative newbie to the rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, the first 5 links Lord Liaden lists were old geocities pages, and they now link to the newfangled Yahoo business site.

And a number of the links go to pages that have broken links, also sadly. Can't seem to find a decent Gamma World conversion, or a decent Fallout-style writeup in HERO.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sadly, the first 5 links Lord Liaden lists were old geocities pages, and they now link to the newfangled Yahoo business site.

And a number of the links go to pages that have broken links, also sadly. Can't seem to find a decent Gamma World conversion, or a decent Fallout-style writeup in HERO.

Anyone have any ideas?

All of the first 7 links point to the Wayback Machine and are working fine (I just checked and those pages come up.)

What date should someone turn the Way Back machine to?

I don't understand the question. The links take you to the specific pages (and whatever date LL chose). The information he was referencing is there. You're free to look at whatever other dates are stored for those pages.

I don't understand the question. The links take you to the specific pages (and whatever date LL chose). The information he was referencing is there. You're free to look at whatever other dates are stored for those pages.

One of the first times I used the Wayback Machine the date in the upper Right side was a current date.  I had to change the date to a year of 2009 for the info to show up.  The links by LL have the 2009 April to Oct range.