And Lo, my Windows 10 upgrade reminder popped up today.

Enforcer84

I got the pop up on my laptop, but not my desktop. I think I may have read it's not free for OEM copies? Has anyone else who built their own Win 7 computer had it pop up?

I may put it on my laptop. I'm going to wait and see what the UI looks like first, though.

That would be me

And my copy of Windows 7 Pro was from my Network and Systems Admin department at school

I had 20 updates today and when they finished I had the logo.

I don't think my computer could handle windows 10... it's over 4 years old and wasn't a top of the line desktop to begin with (I bought one that would barely run Starcraft 2 and Skyrim).

Will prolly just move my HDD over to a new one when I build a new one next year.

And what happened to Windows 9?

I don't think my computer could handle windows 10... it's over 4 years old and wasn't a top of the line desktop to begin with (I bought one that would barely run Starcraft 2 and Skyrim).

Will prolly just move my HDD over to a new one when I build a new one next year.

And what happened to Windows 9?

Oh, That's Why: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191279-why-is-it-called-windows-10-not-windows-9

Article on the Windows 10 preview with some good screenshots: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191332-windows-10-technical-preview-hands-on-video

Looks promising.

They finally put in multiple desktops. That's a good thing. I had that with PC Tools on Windows 3.1, and of course Linux UIs have had it for a while now too. Better late than never. :D

Anyone else going to adopt early? 

I haven't been using the trials which is probably wrong since people actually ask my opinion on these things :)

I'm waiting for reports on how well it runs on old hardware, especially with low amounts of memory. I have an elderly (early 2008 model) iMac that's limited to 4 gig of RAM.

My plan is to hold off as long as I can. I'm on Win8 and spent time getting used to its quirks. I have a couple of programs that might not function correctly in the upgrade (Delphi 2009 for one). My wife has a Win7 machine that she likes and doesn't want to jump to 10 either. I rode my WinXP machine for 7 years until it died. I wish I had replaced it just a tad sooner as I wanted a Win7 instead of Win8, but 7 was actually going to cost more by that point.

I've already registered for the upgrades on most of the computers in the house, though the only ones that will be upgraded at first will be my ultrabook (which shipped with Windows 8, upgraded to 8.1), and my Surface Pro 3 (which shipped with Windows 8.1). The ultrabook will get Windows 10 Home, while the Surface Pro 3 will get Windows 10 Pro.

One of the old computers is basically used (rarely) as a TV recorder, but Media Center won't be part of Windows 10, so it's registered, but may not be getting the upgrade. It's on Windows 7 Home Premium, so it would go to Windows 10 Home with the upgrade. It's the weakest of the machines, with a Core 2 Duo processor from 2006, but it should be able to handle the upgrade.

My main desktop will probably be upgraded, but only after I clean it up a bit, and check again for drivers for certain devices. It's currently running Windows 8.1 Pro, so it's eligible for the Windows 10 Pro upgrade.

I have a computer now that is running on Win7. I am looking to buy a new machine in the relatively near future and it will likely have win8.1. If I do upgrade, I will probably do so with my older machine first to see how things go. If I like the results I will then update what should become my primary machine.

And to answer the above comment, I believe the win10 release will not be staggered. All individuals will be given the chance to update (For free, including many of those with bootleg copies) at the same time. I have never heard anything about a staggered release. I could be wrong, of course. I just imagine that such a situation would have rung more bells if I ever heard it.

Foreign Orchid.

My plan is to hold off as long as I can. I'm on Win8 and spent time getting used to its quirks. I have a couple of programs that might not function correctly in the upgrade (Delphi 2009 for one). My wife has a Win7 machine that she likes and doesn't want to jump to 10 either. I rode my WinXP machine for 7 years until it died. I wish I had replaced it just a tad sooner as I wanted a Win7 instead of Win8, but 7 was actually going to cost more by that point.

Seven has been mostly a delight but I had some weird USB issues on a few machines an never really corrected them to my satisfaction...until last ngiht the "prep for 10" updates occur and my message that my keyboard's  (rather worthless) usb hub was not installed properly did not pop up and I didn't have to wait for 10 seconds for the keyboard to work.So huzzah.

I was a year to adopt windows 7 from Vista - which I didn't mind. Really I can't think of an OS that I haven't been able to get used to. And the upgrade is free, so I figured I'd take the plunge.