And Lo, my Windows 10 upgrade reminder popped up today.

Enforcer84

At the very least, I'm going to create a fresh back-up of my current operating system before I consider it; I want to be prepared in the event the Windows 10 "upgrade" f**ks something up.

all my important files are backed up to a cloud backup service, but I'll probably do a nice big backup myself. 

Or, I'll rip it open (figuratively, it's a download) 10 and install it recklessly ;)

I'll upgrade as long as;

A) Fallout 4 (and my games in general) work(s) on Windows 10

B) All my hardware works on Windows 10

I've already registered. I'm a little nervous about the actual upgrade though. Too many files that can get corrupted or lost. I need an external backup drive first.

I'll upgrade as long as;

A) Fallout 4 (and my games in general) work(s) on Windows 10

B) All my hardware works on Windows 10

I've already registered. I'm a little nervous about the actual upgrade though. Too many files that can get corrupted or lost. I need an external backup drive first.

Since Fallout 4 will most likely be a Steam Client game, I don't see this being a problem

My Half-Life 1 (as well as Blue Shift and Op Force) all work on my Windows 7 machine since I have them on Steam.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded my Surface Pro 3 this morning. The entire upgrade took about 30 minutes*, and was generally painless. Some things that I really like:

The updater is smart enough to run updates for Windows 10 (for drivers and the like) before it actually starts the install.

Gone are the endless "what's new with Windows" screens that older Windows installations had. Instead, you just get a largish completion circle, and three separate steps below which show a percentage complete.

The Windows-provided music player (Groove Music) now handles FLAC files natively.

It's possible to spawn an extra desktop so that you can separate stuff that you're working on. Easy to flip between, as well. It's something that I've missed from Linux.

Taking the keyboard cover off of my Surface Pro 3 brings up a small notification asking me if I want to go into Tablet mode, and putting it back on gives me a notification asking me if I want to leave Tablet mode. Both settings can be automated, but I do occasionally run in Desktop mode without the keyboard cover (on a plane while watching a movie, or to read an ebook, for example), so it's nice when the system is polite.

Cortana is actually pretty useful.

I'm hoping to get the upgrade for my ultrabook next.

*Probably toward the best-case end of installation times. My device doesn't have a lot of programs installed, and all storage on it is solid-state. It took my co-worker closer to an hour on his gaming laptop. He's updated three machines now, and is also quite happy.

At the very least, I'm going to create a fresh back-up of my current operating system before I consider it; I want to be prepared in the event the Windows 10 "upgrade" f**ks something up.

Everyone needs to do this.  My own upgrade went smoothly enough--took about two hours including the download--but I've read some accounts online of installs freezing and people having to back out the upgrade.

I also have a Windows 7 machine with 4 gb of RAM (it is upgradable), so am on the fence.  As always, if my current system works smoothly I don't want to breathe on the house of cards. . .

On the radio, they mentioned that MS Windows has lost market share, with the (to me) shocking estimate that only 30% of computers have it?  I'm trying to figure out what else is out there.

I also have a Windows 7 machine with 4 gb of RAM (it is upgradable), so am on the fence.  As always, if my current system works smoothly I don't want to breathe on the house of cards. . .

On the radio, they mentioned that MS Windows has lost market share, with the (to me) shocking estimate that only 30% of computers have it?  I'm trying to figure out what else is out there.

Well that looks like incorrect information.  https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Windows 7 alone has a 60% marketshare of the OSs. 

XP, Vista, 8, 8.1. has about 30% combine

Agree with Enforcer. Typical "journalism" these days. They were probably talking about the increasing use of mobile devices versus desktops/laptops. Or they could have just been blowing smoke.

Bogus numbers. They're probably including tablets and phones. Windows has the lion's share of the desktop (and laptop) OS market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers

A rundown on Win10 issues I'm seeing people talk about:

- Install can fail forcing you to either back out or do a clean install.  This seems to be infrequent, but back up your stuff before attempting the upgrade.

- Some third-party driver issues, generally with older or obscure sound/video cards.  Consider updating all drivers before attempting upgrade.

- Problems with computer sleep settings.  It's possible that Wake on LAN is getting triggered more often.  This is draining some laptop batteries as a result.

- Microsoft has apparently decided to use a torrent-like model to distribute software updates, and your new Win10 machine will be set to serve updates by default.  Consider turning this off especially if your network provider charges by the byte or caps your uploads.

- Font smoothing complaints with Edge.  (Of course it's not like IE was any better at this.)

- The Win10 upgrade process will encourage you to join the computer with your Microsoft account.  You then log into the machine with your Microsoft account, not any local account.

- Lastly, BACK UP YOUR STUFF BEFORE THE UPGRADE.

Some teething troubles to be sure, but so far this rollout is going splendidly all things considered.

- Microsoft has apparently decided to use a torrent-like model to distribute software updates, and your new Win10 machine will be set to serve updates by default.  Consider turning this off especially if your network provider charges by the byte or caps your uploads.

My understanding is that this is restricted to your local network. In which case you actually save bandwidth from your network provider.

Could have been the tablet market, now that I think about it. 

Bogus numbers. They're probably including tablets and phones. Windows has the lion's share of the desktop (and laptop) OS market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers

It certainly sounded bogus!  They must've been throwing smart-phones, etc. into that stat.  Does make you wonder if some competitor could break MS' stranglehold on the OS market, though.

After a great many disturbing things have been brought to my attention, I no longer want to "upgrade." Is there some way I can tell the "Get Windows 10" icon on my bottom bar to piss off?

Stand in front of your computer. Look sternly at the icon and say, "Piss off!!!"

Or try this registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]

"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage or loss if you (the reader) edit your registry and then have problems with Windows or any of your applications.