And Lo, my Windows 10 upgrade reminder popped up today.

Enforcer84

I have 187GB of data. I use Carbonite ($60/year)

I have over 5 times that amount, just in music files. They're duplicated on multiple hard drives, including some on the NAS box. Some are backed up on BD-R (previously, on DVD+R), mainly stuff that only exists as downloads bought from various music stores.

Documents, purchased PDFs, and the like are backed up locally in a similar fashion, and most are also copied into my Dropbox (paid subscription).

I am having few issues with Win10 right now, and no significant ones. The only issue I had that seems at all serious is that it seems to default with Windows Defender switched off and I could not switch it back on. I put on Norton (courtesy of my ISP whose name shall not be mentioned here for fear of sulfur) and it found about 20 issues that had emerged in the couple of days since the upgrade (fixed them all).

The other problem was entirely on me -- I forgot how to log into my password manager and haven't been able to recover the account. Fortunately it still works fine in Chrome, and switching defaults around for e-mail and browsing is a lot easier than it was before.

I upgrade OSs for what goes on under the hood, and so far Win10 has been an improvement. The interface hasn't changed much for me -- I still default to the desktop and Frames still works -- but the system finally seems to be taking advantage of my new Solid State Drive for the system. Bootup is fast.

I am having few issues with Win10 right now, and no significant ones. The only issue I had that seems at all serious is that it seems to default with Windows Defender switched off and I could not switch it back on. I put on Norton (courtesy of my ISP whose name shall not be mentioned here for fear of sulfur) and it found about 20 issues that had emerged in the couple of days since the upgrade (fixed them all).

The other problem was entirely on me -- I forgot how to log into my password manager and haven't been able to recover the account. Fortunately it still works fine in Chrome, and switching defaults around for e-mail and browsing is a lot easier than it was before.

I upgrade OSs for what goes on under the hood, and so far Win10 has been an improvement. The interface hasn't changed much for me -- I still default to the desktop and Frames still works -- but the system finally seems to be taking advantage of my new Solid State Drive for the system. Bootup is fast.

I had a different issue with my antivirus. While the virus scanner was working, it was impossible to turn on Avast's firewall. Both Windows Defender and Windows Firewall were on and running along with Avast's antivirus. Repairing the installation fixed the issue.

Cortana's ability to play a song when requested is hit or miss. Some tracks can be requested and will play, some tracks can be requested and fail to play, and others bring up search results for the web in Edge.

Homegroup settings was giving me grief only on the Surface Pro 3. On my ultrabook, it was as simple as changing two settings. On the Surface Pro 3, it refused to acknowledge that there was a Homegroup, and even suggested a problem with the network connection. Switching from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz seemed to make it happy, and then I could finish the setup. I switched back to 5 GHz, and, about 10 minutes later, it finally acknowledged that it could reach the other computers through Homegroup. Now, during this time, all devices on my network were visible and reported in the Networking part of the file browser.

Well other than a group policy updated popping up and forcing me to log in twice, I'm not unimpresed. Even Edge...is slick.

And I notice it natively blocks ads.

There are worthwhile sites that need ads to pay the bills. if you can't sell ads anymore because everyone blocks them, what happens to those sites?

There are worthwhile sites that need ads to pay the bills. if you can't sell ads anymore because everyone blocks them, what happens to those sites?

They change to a monetization model that's less predatory and safer for site visitors maybe?

The concept of advertising isn't the problem, it's the douchey way it's implemented on the Internet that is.

There is a small icon on the lower right hand side of my screen that will let me upgrade to Windows 10, but no notice otherwise. I plan to stick with Windows 7 for a while. I'll wasit until they get all the bugs in 10 fixed.

They dont' have all the bugs fixed for XP...you could be waiting a while :)

For now, I'm sticking with Windows 7, and later I'll be looking into a switch to either LinuxMint or Ubuntu. Hopefully I'll be able to continue using my applications and games via Wine.

From what I hear that's a pretty sound plan...but...

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

Linux is a bit more work. At least Ubuntu and SUSE were when I messed with them. 

I still think XP was better than Windows 7. I kinda miss it.

you and the head of our engineering department. 

And from the stand point of servicing the two, I'd take 7 over XP and 8 any day. 

Edit: Oh! And the US Navy. They spend untold millions a year to keep Microsoft patching it for them. 

There are vulnerabilities in XP that cannot be fixed.

Usability wise, I still haven't beaten up 10 a whole lot, but it's nice enough.  It's pretty snappy and things are more or less where I expect them to be--none of this charm business or violent skipping back and forth between Windows and Metro.

Well I've had fun on my build. My laptop which I reserved 10 for last night and downloaded and installed without a hitch is humming along fine. 

My desktop which I built myself and has had a few windows 7 driver issues - ie it doesn't like to acknowledge some - I reserved weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the download. Went to get the media version and it croaks when I try to install. 

And my attempts to fix caused my MBR to die and after a reboot my OS wouldn't load. So that was a fun 2 hours. 

I'm now pondering a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 and then seeing what I can accomplish...or break.

From what I hear that's a pretty sound plan...but...

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

Linux is a bit more work. At least Ubuntu and SUSE were when I messed with them. 

Actually, Linux has gotten a lot more user-friendly since the old days. I've recently taken LinuxMint and Ubuntu for test drives via Live CDs and had no problems with them. In fact, a friend told me LinuxMint in particular was one of the better "Training Wheels Distros."