[Rules Q] If a revolver hammer cocks in an empty auditorium, does anyone hear it?

Ragitsu

I want to clue in a PC that they are about to be ambushed as they enter a completely silent auditorium. The way i'll be doing this is by having the bad guy cock the hammer on a Magnum-type revolver as they stand off a good ways away in a section of darkness. However, I am not quite sure how much the basic Perception roll (before distance is factored in) should be adjusted...if at all.

What would a reasonable ruling in this case be?

Going strictly by the RAW you've got -X for distance.  Darkness has no effect on hearing. Looking at the "Hearing Perception Modifiers" table (HS6v2 pg 12), here's what I think would apply: Echoes, Quiet Area and maybe a -1 since I don't think a hammer-click is very loud but is probably louder (or more distinctive) than a slowly opened door or careful walk.

You could use descriptive text based on how well the character makes the PER check by. Anything from "You hear an odd clicking noise" to "You hear the distinct sound of the hammer being cocked on a pistol." Of course, if they fail, then they get to hear the distinctive sound of BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eliot was probably the highest point total character in that show. If I was writing him up I'd probably go with a lot of overall skill levels and an area effect energy blast to represent his ability to hammer 4 or more guys in a second.(later in the series he added killing damage) probably also a teleport for his appear behind some one when he shouldn't even be there trick.

Examples

https://youtu.be/nLdZ1ZObp5Y

Eliot was probably the highest point total character in that show. If I was writing him up I'd probably go with a lot of overall skill levels and an area effect energy blast to represent his ability to hammer 4 or more guys in a second.(later in the series he added killing damage) probably also a teleport for his appear behind some one when he shouldn't even be there trick.

Examples

https://youtu.be/nLdZ1ZObp5Y

...So he's a reformed horror movie monster?

he certainly could be Narf some of his fights seem to involve manipulating time and space so supernatural origin isn't far off..

of course my favorite example of a horror slasher in another genre is Machete in "Machete kills" where he is basically what would happen if jason voorhees was swapped for james bond.

• 1 month later...

Familiarity and knowledge of something can make you notice what others ignore or pay no heed to.  If you know that humming sound everyone ignores is the sound of a Q-38 Space Modulator heating up, you're more likely to notice than others.  So I can see where knowing would add to perception chances.

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on where the gunman is,there very likely would be a bonus to the roll. Auditoriums, especially older ones, are designed so that a voice, without microphone, will carry over the entire distance from stage to crowd. So, the closer the gunman is to the stage, the greater the bonus to the roll.

• 3 weeks later...