Fantasy Grounds Ruleset for 6th Edition

Erkenfresh

Hi everybody! I got Fantasy Grounds earlier this year to run a Champions game using 6th edition. Someone over at Fantasy Grounds has been working on a 5th edition ruleset for... a long time. I decided not to wait for him to not finish and besides, I wanted to run 6th edition instead.

It's not perfect, but it does a whole lot for you. If you're interested, simply download the ruleset here. There is a document on how to use it inside. Just unzip it like you would any ZIP file:

http://www.erkenfresh.com/Champions6e.pak

My plans are not to support this further. It does about 75% of the things you'll need it to do and the other 25% are going to get very difficult to code. If a courageous programmer wants to take this and put it on Github and get a development community behind it, then by all means, take it away. I only ask that you look back and remember this ruleset's father. ;)

Edit: Looks like I am not permitted to attach "this kind of file".

If it weren't for the fact that I spent so much time coding my MapTool framework and that I am not interested in spending money for something I may not use, I would so be all over this. Even though I do not use Fantasy Grounds, I understand just how difficult it is to make this kind of project happen. Thanks.

It was my pleasure. I learned a lot about the LUA scripting language which I had no prior experience with. The amount of customization possible with Fantasy Grounds is mind-boggling too. Fantasy Grounds is certainly a lot more expensive than Roll20 (which is free), but it works pretty well. At the very least, you could try out the demo with one other player for free. It might grow on you.

It's funny how a custom limitation like "PD, only works against bullets (-1/2)" is pretty much impossible to code. I'm not saying it's totally impossible, just highly impractical for the user so much as to make it useless. That being said, I think I got all the damage calculations correct for "normalish" attacks without any funky advantages or limitations. If anybody decides to pick this up and use it, I'd really like to know what they think of it.

Hero's greatest strength; the flexibility to build whatever, is also the thing that makes it nigh impossible to code for. All you can do is develop code based on the most likely/generic situations. If you try to focus on all of the closet cases, you will fail. There are just too many of them. What you can do is set a bunch of flags that can be selected at the execution of a macro/script. It is then incumbent on the executor of that macro/script to play fair and honest. Not only that, but you also have to remember to select them. They can also become so cumbersome as to be effectively useless if there are a lot of those little idiosyncrasies.

As to your ruleset/framework, I am going to download the demo version to see how it plays out. I doubt I will ever fully upgrade unless and until I get a gaming group together that would demand that sort of thing. I am just curious as all get out on how you coded different things and how they play out in real time.

Hmmn. It is less intuitive than I thought it would be. For example, the number of dice rolled seems to be pre-selected options. Does it count up Body? I mean it is not too hard to do with the dice rolls expressly shown. There are a lot of things to recommend Fantasy Grounds, not the least of which is a campaign tracker. I just don't get the interface. Maybe I would after a while of using it or, more importantly, having somebody show me it.

First I have to commend Erkenfresh because what he (?) is doing is hard.

Hero's greatest strength; the flexibility to build whatever, is also the thing that makes it nigh impossible to code for. All you can do is develop code based on the most likely/generic situations. If you try to focus on all of the closet cases, you will fail.

And you have identified exactly the approach I have taken with Hero Combat Manager.  Since most people using Hero (based on sales) play super-heroic level games I focused on those features.  I did an analysis of the hundreds of HDC files for various Hero products I purchased to see what attacks and defenses were most common.  And I programmed for those features first.

I wish I had done such an analysis myself! LOL

Right so the dice to roll for an effect is based on the number before the d6 inside the power effect. If you read the included PDF it will give you some simple steps to create and import a character so you can try it out. It's easy to add more dice to the roll by right-clicking once you have the dice picked up. This is great for Haymaker's or other sources of added DCs. What's a real pain is if you need to roll less dice. The only way to do that would be to edit the power description... Ugh...

FG is kinda hard to get the hang of. The roll has to be packaged up, which includes the actor and the target(s). After rolling, there's a results handler which includes the number shown on every die. This lets you count up normal damage body and stun separately. I included other info in the roll like attack type and damage type to help determine which defenses to apply and such. I think this is in "damageHandler" or some such function.

Also, FG allows ruleset layering. The CoreRPG ruleset already had a lot of what I needed just to get started. So, I based it off of that. This provides two benefits: lower ruleset size and automatic updates from CoreRPG. If you can't find where a function ends up from my ruleset code, try searching for it in the CoreRPG ruleset instead.

Good luck!

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old, old thread, but wanted to hop in and say that it appears that this ruleset no longer works with the current version of Fantasy Grounds Classic (i.e. not Fantasy Grounds Unity). Any chance somebody out there has an updated/newer ruleset for Hero 6e on FG? Thanks, all!