keanu reeves

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:44 AM

Inspired by a thread on RPG.net (How would you stat out John Wick?).

John_Wick_TeaserPoster.jpgJohn-Wick-Chapter-2-poster.jpg

Enjoy!

Click button to view character

Spoiler

• Vanguard and Nolgroth like this

#2 Christopher Taylor

Christopher Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 4,900 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

He never really demonstrated much in the way of stealth skills.  I know he has a reputation of being a ghost but he basically walks through the front door and shoots people in almost every hit in the movie.

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Jolrhos Bestiary Monster Pack for Hero Designer

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more

#3 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

He never really demonstrated much in the way of stealth skills.  I know he has a reputation of being a ghost but he basically walks through the front door and shoots people in almost every hit in the movie.

I think there was stealth involved in a number of scenes.

1. When he took out the 12 'dinner guests'.
  2. When he took out the first few personal guards and sentries at the club without using a gun.
  3. When he took out the first sentry protecting Victor's son at the safe house.

Of course, once his presence was obviously known he didn't waste time.

#4 Christopher Taylor

Christopher Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 4,900 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

Yeah I can see him having some skill, its true.

Its just his reputation was far outsized compared to his performance.  He was really capable, just not the terrifying ghost we were told he was.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I expected to.  The world was fascinating.

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary

Elenthar's Tower

#5 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

I have considered creating a Gun Fu martial art for him but can't really justify it based on anything from the movie.  However, I might Instead add an additional 2-4 CSL's with Pistols just to help balance out all the points spent on Jujutsu (partly based on the movie Wiki).

#6 Christopher Taylor

Christopher Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 4,900 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

Maybe a few levels to ignore hit location penalties, he did an awful lot of head shots.

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary

Elenthar's Tower

#7 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:42 AM

Maybe a few levels to ignore hit location penalties, he did an awful lot of head shots.

He already has that.

Here's a compilation of all his current gun related skills:

5 Accurate Sprayfire
5 Concentrated Sprayfire
5 Rapid Autofire
5 Skipover Sprayfire

20 +2 with All Attacks
10 +2 with a large group of attacks (Small Arms)

12 +4 to offset Hit Location modifiers with all attacks

[Notes: This can be replaced with the Weapon Master Talent if Hit Locations are not being used.]
4 +2 to offset Range modifiers Pistols

10 Rapid Attack
24 +2 Overall Skill Levels
3 WF: Small Arms, Blades, Clubs, Unarmed Combat

The Bolded are all Gun-Only.

There are a couple of options* to increase his Pistol-Only effectiveness:

5    Expert with a Pistol: Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) for up to 36 Active Points of RKA (9 Active Points); OIF (9mm Pistol of Opportunity; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) - END=1

6    +2 with a small group of attacks (Pistols)

*Options added.

#8 Christopher Taylor

Christopher Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 4,900 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:52 AM

Yeah I was thinking more penalty levels for choosing locations, but his OCV is double digits as it is, probably won't miss anyway

• Hyper-Man likes this

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary

Elenthar's Tower

#9 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:51 AM

I keep looking at his 6 SPD and thinking it's not really necessary. 

A 4 SPD would be fine considering his Rapid Attack, Rapid Autofire and Expert with a Pistol.  I'm pretty sure those all would allow him to empty a 19 round clip in 2-3 Phases.

*Character updated. Also got rid of some Martial Maneuvers not seen in the movie.

#10 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:42 PM

http://geektyrant.co...cation-and-more

#11 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 40,765 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:52 AM

The only change I would make to this excellent write up would be to add pistols to Wick's jiujitsu. He has the most impressive gun kata since Equilibrium.
  • Vanguard and Hyper-Man like this
...and that's when the destruction began.

#12 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:00 AM

If you mean using one of his pistols as HTH weapon, I think Club Weapon has that covered :D.

If you mean some version of Gun Fu, I considered it but decided against since the movie seemed to go for the realistic vibe.  Plus, any Ranged Martial Art maneuvers that do bonus damage are essentially doing so as a form of precise shooting which is just Hit Locations by another name. I by far prefer to just use the default Hit Location rules instead.

#13 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:09 AM

One thing I've been wondering about is how often he shifted from 1 handed to 2 handed shooting with his pistols.  I don't think the range to targets were enough to cause a penalty so it wouldn't be a HERO Set Maneuver.  Does Dark Champions have a rule about using a 2nd hand to improve accuracy with a single pistol?

#14 Old Man

Old Man

• 40,765 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

If you mean using one of his pistols as HTH weapon, I think Club Weapon has that covered :D.

If you mean some version of Gun Fu, I considered it but decided against since the movie seemed to go for the realistic vibe.  Plus, any Ranged Martial Art maneuvers that do bonus damage are essentially doing so as a form of precise shooting which is just Hit Locations by another name. I by far prefer to just use the default Hit Location rules instead.

Mainly I was thinking that he was using jiujitsu while holding (or firing, or reloading) a pistol.  IIRC this requires investing the one point to add that weapon group to the MA.  I see your point about bonus damage for ranged maneuvers but almost none of the maneuvers you've given Wick really come with bonus damage.

• Hyper-Man likes this

#15 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

Mainly I was thinking that he was using jiujitsu while holding (or firing, or reloading) a pistol.  IIRC this requires investing the one point to add that weapon group to the MA.  I see your point about bonus damage for ranged maneuvers but almost none of the maneuvers you've given Wick really come with bonus damage.

Doh! I figured Two Weapon Fighting and Ambidexterity would have covered that.  I'll look for the rule and adjust the character tonight then. :D

#16 Old Man

Old Man

• 40,765 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

I don't even know if that rule still stands in 6e to be honest.  I still kind of default to 4th.

One of the funny things about the movie was that Charlie (the cleaner) turned out to be played by David Patrick Kelly.  Didn't even recognize him.

• Tasha, Hyper-Man and Brian Stanfield like this

#17 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:16 AM

I don't even know if that rule still stands in 6e to be honest.  I still kind of default to 4th.

One of the funny things about the movie was that Charlie (the cleaner) turned out to be played by David Patrick Kelly.  Didn't even recognize him.

Character has been updated anyway. :D

#18 Vanguard

Vanguard

Where Wolf?

• 850 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

Yeah I can see him having some skill, its true.

Its just his reputation was far outsized compared to his performance.  He was really capable, just not the terrifying ghost we were told he was.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I expected to.  The world was fascinating.

Also remember that he's been "retired" for a while.

It would explain why he's not as "scary" as the hype portrayed him.

As for the write-up. 

Nicely done Hyper.

• Hyper-Man likes this

"We might experience some slight turbulence, then explode." - Mal

"That's not a plan Harry, that's a Looney Toon!" - Karrin Murphy, Dresden Files

"Some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfred, The Dark Knight

"Never moon a werewolf" - T-Shirt Quote

#19 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,530 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:43 PM

I think Wick is a former Dread Pirate Roberts.  :)

Spoiler

#20 Manic Typist

Manic Typist

No, it's not that simple!

• 3,339 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:51 PM

How so? He singlehandedly killed 13 people who were coming to ambush HIM. He killed 77 people singlehandedly- all either trained assassins themselves or people used to violence and otherwise "in the life." This would make him one of the most prolific killers in United States history, if you exclude soldiers in combat zones. And those killers who exceed this record- serial killers mostly- did so over a far longer period of time and to a much more vulnerable population.

• Hyper-Man likes this
Eosin- ~ "'Wrong' is a D&Dism ~ 'I do it this way' is a Heroism." SCUBA Hero- "If you did Turn the Palindromedary, how would you know? :think:" Roxanna: I need a margarita. Niels: I don't think Dwarves make mixed drinks. Ithan: That's because when Dwarves mix their alcohol, they get fire and explosions! It would be wonderful. It would be like that scene in that movie that everyone quotes where the one guy says something awesome to the other guy.