San Angelo: City of Heroes Update Possible?

Tom-C

I ran across this over on the Facebook page for San Angelo: City of Heroes. I use that book a lot for my Champions game. 

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153382793697110&id=101047062109

The link to Gold Rush Games doesn't go there though, so I'm not sure how serious they might be for an update. I thought maybe if they saw some responses favorable to an update, this might get some traction. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was hoping if we posted over on their FB page and offered ideas, or just commented about supporting an update effort, that they would see that there is indeed interest in having this happen. I don't know if they look at the Hero Forums anymore, but they are active on FB. 

Ninja-Bear, I am using a good majority of it for my campaign. I've made some changes to fit the campaign world, mostly in the timeline and which NPCs are around. I have the other San Angelo supplements and have been pulling from those as well. I'd say I'm probably using at least 85% of the book. 

Also wondering Tom C, did you modify the guidelines at all? Iirc, San Angelo really stuck with the characteristic maxima as it was often misinterpreted, such as no normal human could go over max 20. I don't mind that they really seemed to keep with alot of lower power builds though. And also curious, did you use some mainstream Champions stuff in it too?

Normal Characteristics over 20 cost twice as much.

IIRC

QM

Yes. Let me give an example of what im saying. San Angelo has a NPC hero named Paragon who is at peak human abilities and all stats are 20 for primary characteristics and I believe follow suit in secondary stats as to maxima is listed. (Fwiw, I know that normals can go above 20 but that isn't how San Angelo presented it.)

I guess I never noticed that is how they built the characters. The ones I picked to use so far, I plugged into Hero Designer and tried to build them the same as the book. I know that there have been a few differences point-wise on some characters, but I didn't worry too much about it since that's happened before with putting older material into HD. I just worked at getting them close. I didn't pay close attention that they kept the secondary stats at or under the maximum.  

I have pulled in some mainstream Champions villains. I've actually used more 4th edition versions of them than the 5th, as the older versions were a little lower in power-level, and that kept things in line with the lower power level of the campaign. 

The link in my signature line goes to my campaign material over at Obsidian Portal. I haven't put any villain stats out there to keep the players in the dark about exactly what their up against.  For the most part, we're straddling the line between low and standard level as set out in the 5th FrED. 

I was plugged in the numbers for paragon using 30 as human max for stats and I can't remember the point increase but it was hugh!

P.s. I like 5th builds just for some of the most interesting and unique builds and how the hero system can really be tweaked to represent a concept. However for most typical villian builds, I use the 4th builds with maybe a unique power build.

I looked at my Hero Designer for Paragon, and the characteristics matched point for point with the book  - 20 all primary stats and the secondary set to the value they had. The total 162 points for characteristics matched. The differences between editions crept in elsewhere. I took Paragon's 20's across the board at face value without a lot of thought - it made sense to me to have him top out at that value. 

And I don't mind the 5th edition builds at all either. And for Foxbat and Blowtorch, I pulled from both editions as well as some individual tweaks when I added them into the game. 

I think there's been some minor adjustment to just about every villain or super I've pulled in, just to fine-tune them to the campaign. That part I figure is going to happen with just about any source book or supplement I want to use. But that depth of information about the city, the entire vibe of it - that's what got me hooked on it as a source book, and that's where I try not to change much. 

I looked at my Hero Designer for Paragon, and the characteristics matched point for point with the book - 20 all primary stats and the secondary set to the value they had. The total 162 points for characteristics matched. The differences between editions crept in elsewhere. I took Paragon's 20's across the board at face value without a lot of thought - it made sense to me to have him top out at that value.

If your fine with Paragon at characteristic maxima that is fine. My point is though that even in 4th and previous editions. Maxima was never the max that humans could achieve it only made you pay more above the limit. But I don't recall there being an official cap on what was considered human, that came out in 5th. Again I have no problems with having many supers at a lower end of stats however what I was trying to point out is that by Paragons description characteristic maxima is the maximum for normal humans which by standard rules even in fourth isn't correct. However of course if a GM wanted to enforce this of course he can. Fwiw I calculated the points of Paragon using 5th ed benchmarks and his characteristic cost is 380 points without ncm. With it a whopping 631 pts! (I could be off since I did it the old fashion way.)

• 2 months later...