Alien Android PC build Mental Defence question

Tanis Frey

I have made an alien android PC for a champions game and have questions about how to build his mental defense.

Currently build 25 cp Mental Defense 31 (active points:31, unified power -1/4)

I am thinking it needs the following hardened +1/4, variable advantage (member of mental group: alien and robot) +?, variable (mental defense doubles if opponent does not have both mental groups) +?, variable limit (can be affected if opponent has only one of 2 mental groups) -?

What do you think the variable Advantages/limitations should be worth?

I plan to keep the character points the same and adjust the size the active points of the power.

Thanks, -Tanis Frey

Why put the Variable Advantage finally ? just pay the 10 points for each mental category .

As for the doubling MD advantage, i'd just buy it as a complementary MD, with a Custom Adder "Only If Attacker Doesn't Have Both Alien & Robot Mental Category; +1 1/2"

so something like 20 Mental Defense (Alien & Machine Minds)+ 20 Mental Defense "only if...; 1 1/2"

just my opinion

Fembot double classed mind as "Woman and Gynoid Mind" Opale

What is the android's Class of Minds?  I'm getting the impression he's affected by Human, Robot, and Alien.

variable advantage (member of mental group: alien and robot) +?

Not understanding this bit.  Are you saying that the attacker has to be either alien or robot for this to apply, or that the attack itself has to affect either the alien or robot group? 

If the latter, I think the way to do this is actually split it, thereby getting rid of the second "variable" and the "variable limit".

Personally, I'd say the character has a Physical Complication (Affected by Human, Robot, and Alien Class of Minds) and then buy:

Mental Defense 17 points, Hardened (+1/4); Not vs. attacks to Robot class of minds (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4).  12 cp

Mental Defense 17 points, Hardened (+1/4); Not vs. attacks to Alien class of minds (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4).  12 cp

If the attackers powers only affect Human minds, he has 34 points MD, hardened.

If they affect Robot minds (but not Alien minds), he has 17 points MD, hardened.  

If they affect Alien minds (but not Robot minds) he has 17 points MD, hardened.

If they affect both Robot and Alien minds, he has no MD against the attack.

- - - -

If you're looking for at least some protection, you could go with:

a )  Mental Defense 11 points, Hardened (+1/4); Unified Power (-1/4).  11 cp

b )  Mental Defense 10 points, Hardened (+1/4); Not vs. attacks to Robot class of minds (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4).  7 cp

c )  Mental Defense 10 points, Hardened (+1/4); Not vs. attacks to Alien class of minds (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4).  7 cp

If the attackers powers only affect Human minds, he has 31 points MD, hardened.  (a+b+c)

If they affect Robot minds (but not Alien minds), he has 21 points MD, hardened.  (a+c)

If they affect Alien minds (but not Robot minds) he has 21 points MD, hardened.  (a+b )

If they affect both Robot and Alien minds, he has 11 points MD, hardened.  (a)

GM ruled that it is not in the human mental group, therefore a standard mentalist cannot affect the android.

It comes down to this a mentalist who can affect the robot group understands the base code of human built computers. The alien CPU in the Android PC was built off world by alien scientist using alien logic, so it has it different base code.

I first build the power with 40 harden MD but I miss read the point total differences between 5th Ed and 6th and had to cut about 66 cp from the character.

Opale, I am not sure where you are getting the 10 adder from 6E1 152 lists it as a 5 point add unless the GM rules otherwise and adders normal do not get applied to defense powers.

If you're looking for at least some protection, you could go with:

a )  Mental Defense 11 points, Hardened (+1/4); Unified Power (-1/4).  11 cp

b )  Mental Defense 10 points, Hardened (+1/4); Not vs. attacks to Robot class of minds (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4).  7 cp

c )  Mental Defense 10 points, Hardened (+1/4); Not vs. attacks to Alien class of minds (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4).  7 cp

If the attackers powers only affect Human minds, he has 31 points MD, hardened.  (a+b+c)

If they affect Robot minds (but not Alien minds), he has 21 points MD, hardened.  (a+c)

If they affect Alien minds (but not Robot minds) he has 21 points MD, hardened.  (a+b )

If they affect both Robot and Alien minds, he has 11 points MD, hardened.  (a)

I will throw in the Physical complication also for 0 points, I already have all my complications points plus some.

Thanks for the Ideas,

-Tanis Frey