Help with a Variable Power Pool (magic)

Black Rose

I am working on a character who gets his powers from two sources: his own initial (and continuing) study of magic, and a "radiation accident" where an extradimensional being obliterated a wielder of "shadow magics" directly in front of him, blasting the magical energies into him. I want to be able to use "normal" magic at a low level (around 25-30 AP) and have access to shadow magics at a higher level (due to campaign restraints, ~50 AP). Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to represent this? I find that I have a lot of ideas for cool powers I'd like to use, if only once or twice, and having to buy them all would get expensive, especially due to their infrequent appearance.

Thank you all for your time.

My initial reaction was to suggest two VPPs. But that may be a bit more expensive than you wanna go. My second thought was that, maybe, a VPP for the "normal" magic, and a multipower for the "shadow" magic might work better.

From the quick description you gave, it seems that the "normal" magic is going to be mostly for normal, everyday kinda stuff (as normal and everyday as magic gets); and that the "shadow" magic would be where your attacks and major powers come from.

You might be able to put both styles of magic in the same VPP, but I imagine you'd wind up with some conflicting special effects, limitations, advantages and stuff.

Not much help, huh? Sorry.

Originally posted by Blackout

My initial reaction was to suggest two VPPs. But that may be a bit more expensive than you wanna go. My second thought was that, maybe, a VPP for the "normal" magic, and a multipower for the "shadow" magic might work better.

I have given some though to this, And I'm even giving some thought to an EC. -shakes head- Gods, I'm indecisive.

From the quick description you gave, it seems that the "normal" magic is going to be mostly for normal, everyday kinda stuff (as normal and everyday as magic gets); and that the "shadow" magic would be where your attacks and major powers come from.

Exactly. I wanted something that would let me play around with some low-end "tricks", while not gutting me points-wise.

You might be able to put both styles of magic in the same VPP, but I imagine you'd wind up with some conflicting special effects, limitations, advantages and stuff.

Not much help, huh? Sorry.

Actually, I had thought of doing the "double-decker" VPP, having the minor magics being the less limited, control cost-wise. Then I would have the higher chunk with the "Shadow magics only, -1/2" lim and such.

Sadly, I have started to look at Mind Control and Images, and my vision of this character is changing again. -sighs- Really must learn when to stop fiddling....