Hex and figurines

steph

Hey guys, Just want to know for you fantasy game if you use hex map and figurines in combat. I want to try to be free of this but i am scared to confused the combat. GM who don't use hex and figurines i am wanting your advice.

Hope i am clear english not my first language 

steph

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, Just want to know for you fantasy game if you use hex map and figurines in combat. I want to try to be free of this but i am scared to confused the combat. GM who don't use hex and figurines i am wanting your advice.

Hope i am clear english not my first language 

steph

Bump.

I see no utility in hexes; I actually find them needlessly confusing and constraining. I just use a ruler and a flat space - 1 inch = 1 hex, etc.

I do, however, use a mixture of figurines, dice, and coins to model the position of characters, environment, etc. Whatever's at hand and makes sense.

If you don't use figures or some type of markers you can just draw on paper for relative positions. Lots of people have trouble seeing the larger scale of things without some frame of reference though. I don't see hexes as necessary, but having some tool to visually indicate relative positions is a good idea.

- E

What I use depends entirely on the complexity of the scenario in question.  For simple fights with one or two enemies vs. the PCs in a relatively open area, no map is needed but something to represent relative positioning can be helpful.  For more complex team battles or fights where terrain might play a significant role, I break out the hex map and minis.  For running battles that take places over a lot of territory (like a car or starship chase), I go entirely "theater of the mind".

I'm big on improvising. If I can't be bothered with the hassle of figs and maps I will just use dice to represent the positions of pc's and creatures if it becomes necessary to know their exact locations in a fight. I'm happy to have someone say "I'll close to short range and fire an arrow" without getting out a ruler and saying "oh sorry thats a -2 because your an inch short". It is after all an rpg not a set of table top war game rules.

I find that over use of miniatures and maps makes it feel too much like a board game, and can be counter productive when you are trying to keep the mental illusion going.

I know others will disagree and when it comes to champions I almost always use hex maps for the big fights because knock back can be very destructive to the environment, movement powers give you a headache and keeping track of people in 3d is way more difficult without figures.

I find that over use of miniatures and maps makes it feel too much like a board game, and can be counter productive when you are trying to keep the mental illusion going.

I'm just the opposite.  \I find having to ask what the relative position between five or more characters every single turn much more harmful to keeping "the mental illusion going" than simply looking at a map.

I use a combination.  Maps allow players to get the situation at a glance.

One thing I hate though, and completely refuse to allow up to and including just dropping the entire campaign, is fabled anti-gamer non human virus called the "Counter".    

Once a players turn starts, I never allow chess style count everything 15 times to see what is the best possible move (unless there is a real in character reason to know) such as:  

Cyborg uses his laser range finder, go ahead and count the exact distance.  

Johnny flame dude decides to run over to the building to take cover, but wants to try and count all the routes.  No, you need to run over and see if you make it.  

You are in combat.  Declare the move/action and go.  What?  You fell short?  Didn't actually make it?  That's called adventure.

Now if you are paying attention and PRE-PLAN your route while the other people are moving.  Knock yourself out.  

But once it is your actual action/turn.  It is time to go.  Not plan.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

:)

The only exception I make is for new players.  

But to answer the original post.  I use both methods as needed.

I use a combination.  Maps allow players to get the situation at a glance.

One thing I hate though, and completely refuse to allow up to and including just dropping the entire campaign, is fabled anti-gamer non human virus called the "Counter".    

Once a players turn starts, I never allow chess style count everything 15 times to see what is the best possible move (unless there is a real in character reason to know) such as:  

Cyborg uses his laser range finder, go ahead and count the exact distance.  

Johnny flame dude decides to run over to the building to take cover, but wants to try and count all the routes.  No, you need to run over and see if you make it.  

You are in combat.  Declare the move/action and go.  What?  You fell short?  Didn't actually make it?  That's called adventure.

Now if you are paying attention and PRE-PLAN your route while the other people are moving.  Knock yourself out.  

But once it is your actual action/turn.  It is time to go.  Not plan.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

:)

The only exception I make is for new players.  

But to answer the original post.  I use both methods as needed.

Analysis paralysis. I have had a couple of them. I used a 1 minute hourglass and tell them when it runs out if they have not done their action they default to taking a recovery. Count as many routes as you like 

- E

<snip>

I very much agree with this.  There's plenty of time for counting hexes when it's not your turn.  Fortunately, I don't have to be too draconian about this but there have been a few occasions where I've had to start a countdown: 10 to 0.  If I hit 0, you're automatically holding your action.