Help understanding MInd LInk

JmOz

I thought of posting this as a rules question, but want more discusion

First let me say that I have read the Champions Complete description of the power before writing this, and have read the description in volume 1 a while ago.  There seems to be a few differences. 

Now 3 sisters, Prue, Phoebe, & Piper have mind link (2 other minds, only with others who have mind link)

They are all linked to each other in a triangle

1) Can they talk in pairs without taking to the third?  i.e. Prue and Piper but not Phoebe

Now a 4th sister shows up and buys the same power (Page), but only one mind

She links with Prue, who in turn is already connected to Phoebe and Piper

2) Can she comunicate with the other two?  Assuming Prue is "in the loop"

3) Can Prue prevent them from talking to each other? 

What I am trying to build is a communication system that has 2 channels open at a time, characters can talk on either channel, but only those on the said channel can "hear".

I thought of posting this as a rules question, but want more discusion

First let me say that I have read the Champions Complete description of the power before writing this, and have read the description in volume 1 a while ago.  There seems to be a few differences. 

Now 3 sisters, Prue, Phoebe, & Piper have mind link (2 other minds, only with others who have mind link)

They are all linked to each other in a triangle

1) Can they talk in pairs without taking to the third?  i.e. Prue and Piper but not Phoebe

Now a 4th sister shows up and buys the same power (Page), but only one mind

She links with Prue, who in turn is already connected to Phoebe and Piper

2) Can she comunicate with the other two?  Assuming Prue is "in the loop"

3) Can Prue prevent them from talking to each other? 

What I am trying to build is a communication system that has 2 channels open at a time, characters can talk on either channel, but only those on the said channel can "hear".

In short it depend on what your GM says, but the way that I would answer these questions:

1 - Yes.  This would basically be the mental equiv of taking someone aside for a private chat.

2 - Yes.  Depending on the way that the ML is created anyone in the link can communicate with anyone else, even everyone else (basically the same as shouting)

3 - No.  The only person who can prevent another from communicating with the person is that person himself, even the casting mentalist cannot prevent two people from talking to each other.

Hope that this help.

Off the top of my head (and with the usual "unless GM/sfx dictate differently" caveats) I'd say:

1. Yes. The ability to talk to 2 other minds doesn't mean one is obligated to speak to both of them at once every time. But sfx would factor in heavily.
  2. Technically no; Page can only talk to Prue, and Prue would then have to repeat everything Page said to the other two. But since it would be extremely annoying to make players do that in-game, and since speech takes no time anyway, it amounts to functionally the same thing. As a GM, this would be a bit of a red flag for me, since it looks like the player is trying to get 3 minds for the price of one.*
  3. Yes, she can simply not relay anything she wants to block.

We can extend the scenario if all four sisters buy 2 other minds; then essentially each sister has one other sister they can't talk to at any one time. But a munchkin-inclined player can stagger it so that someone can always relay communications to whichever sister isn't linked to the speaker. You could expand the same concept to far more than 4 sisters, carefully staggered, and since there's no in-game consequence to having "relayed" communications, you effectively get 3+ minds for the cost of 2. Stop signs ahead, potential for abuse, etc.

* That's not an accusation, JmOz, just saying it would get my attention as a GM.