How To Build: Trip Wire

Nolgroth

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I have not seen it. How do you build a literal trip wire (cord or rope strung across the road at ankle height). There is no clean way that I can see, though I am considering using Change Environment with an 5 point Adder to force a Dex (Acrobatics, Breakfall) roll or fall prone. Damage would be velocity based like the attacker on a Move Through.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it have to be built at all?  It's an environmental hazard more than a deadly trap. More like a tree root, but planted on purpose. How do you figure the damage from a face plant?  As GM I would just allow it and give a die or two of damage if the victim was running.  

Here's the problem. In most Champions games, a tripwire sucks. Do you think Superman is going to be affected by a tripwire? In most games, you're looking at a teeny tiny effect. Now you can limit the hell out of Change Environment if you want, but that requires buying a power for anyone who wants to set up a tripwire.

In a superhero game, tripwires suck. They are almost completely useless. They are so weak that it is basically not worth spending points to have them. The ability to set up real world tripwires, is not worth a single point. Crazy anime tripwires the chop peoples legs off and things like that, that might be worth points. But that is not the conventional definition of a tripwire.

As a result, there needs to be away to represent that a character knows how to produce tripwires, without really costing him anything in the way of points. I think that concealment is the appropriate method.

I like the idea, in theory, Massey. The only problem comes up when the inevitable question comes out about resisting, the trip wire if actually caught up in it. For me, it isn't so matter a point cost for the purpose of charging against the character's point allotment, it is for determining how effective it is. For the skill, I've actually set it up for Security Systems with Concealment being used to well, conceal it. But I like the direction you seem to be pointed in.

In the end, I decided to use Change Environment, forces a Dex (Acrobatics, Breakfall) roll at -2 or falls. Falling damage is calculated at (v/6) (as if doing a Movethrough on a target that does not move - the target being the Earth itself). To set the trap requires a Security Systems skill roll. To conceal it requires a Concealment roll. Both are adjusted for the environment and materials so having a lush jungle environment and an ideal "cord" would give bonuses to the rolls.

Just as a note, this is for a Heroic level game and a low-point one at that.

Thank you for the replies everybody. 

So who's playing a superhero game?

Lucius Alexander

Playing a palindromedary game

In a heroic game you don't pay for equipment.  So it doesn't matter exactly how it's built.  Do you build a chair with 0 End Telekinesis, only to keep a person's butt off the ground?  Or is it just a chair?

Yeah I think Hero players get a little carried away with the mechanics of everything.  You only really need to build anything that's actually going to involve points.  A glass of water isn't a multipower with Life Support vs thirst with a 1 use 30 minute charge/dispel fire special effects 3d6/life support vs food 1 charge for 1 week (plants only), its just water.

Here's the problem. In most Champions games, a tripwire sucks. Do you think Superman is going to be affected by a tripwire? In most games, you're looking at a teeny tiny effect. Now you can limit the hell out of Change Environment if you want, but that requires buying a power for anyone who wants to set up a tripwire.

In a superhero game, tripwires suck. They are almost completely useless. They are so weak that it is basically not worth spending points to have them. The ability to set up real world tripwires, is not worth a single point. Crazy anime tripwires the chop peoples legs off and things like that, that might be worth points. But that is not the conventional definition of a tripwire.

As a result, there needs to be away to represent that a character knows how to produce tripwires, without really costing him anything in the way of points. I think that concealment is the appropriate method.

Concealment still only would hide a a trap however PS: Trap would do the trick. And martial throw IAF is only at base cost around 3 pts.

Concealment still only would hide a a trap however PS: Trap would do the trick. And martial throw IAF is only at base cost around 3 pts.

You're just concealing something they'd trip over normally.  Martial throw IAF doesn't work at range, and requires an action.  How does having a high OCV make your tripwire better?

In a heroic game you don't pay for equipment. So it doesn't matter exactly how it's built. Do you build a chair with 0 End Telekinesis, only to keep a person's butt off the ground? Or is it just a chair?

No. In Heroic games you don't pay for "normal" equipment. Normal defined as per GM/ genre. A laser sword can be common in one game worth 0 points and in another game worth full points.

This argument is is illogical and surprising coming from you Massey. First comparing tripwires to Superman is well riduclous. Superman is awefully powerful because he spent the points to be powerful however that in of itself doesn't negate how useful tripwire could be versus other characters, Viper agents anyone? In theory the tripwire could be effective to Batman, Robin, Joker, Harleyquin and Cheetah to name a few.

Is the player going to use it once? Well the argument can be made to make it zero points. Me playing my ninja? Well I would use it enough that it would warrent paying points. P.s. I disliked the TK verison because that was too many points for what you got and I could not fit in a multipower.

You're just concealing something they'd trip over normally. Martial throw IAF doesn't work at range, and requires an action. How does having a high OCV make your tripwire better?

Good question and this is how it woukd be built.

Tripwire: martial throw (3 pts) IAF (-1/2) Trigger-sets once and takes longer than a turn to reset (-1/4)

ACT 4 pts Real 2 pts

Plus +20 STR IAF & Trigger

ACT 20 Real 11

Total 13 pts.

I would consider it at range the same way as if someone stole your OAF sword and moved 11" and attacked someone else. It doeant dissapear because the focus moved. And having a higher DEX wouldn't matter. You aren't attacking the opponent, the tripwire is and ultimatley STR is the deciding factor as to wheter you can throw a person or not.