Welcome to Hero Forum - Please Introduce yourself (especially Lurkers)

bluesguy

I corresponded with Killer Shrike a couple of months back over at rpg.net. I was inquisitive about FATE and he pointed me to his Pathfinder Fate Accelerated hack. As with all things Killer Shrike, he put a lot of creative energy and heart into fleshing out FAE into a really awesome resource. I got the impression that KS was a little burnt on Hero and was taking a break. He never explicitly stated as much, but context clues and all.

Thanks for the update.

Hello!

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)? The echo part was the name of a Cyber Punk character I played. Tng comes form my initials. Clever and cool I'm sure…

• What was the first tabletop RPG you played? Dungeons and Dragons basic set

• What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed? Clay-O-Rama. At a convention no less, Ahh those were the days
  • What are you currently playing/GMing? Nothing

Hey chummers! I have been lurking a bit but never really posted much till now.

How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?

Eh..well it's not very creative but I adopted the name from a Decker in the Shadowrun Universe.

What was the first tabletop RPG you played?

AD&D, introduced to me my freshman year of H.S. (1996ish)

What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?

Rifts, yeah I know interesting setting horrible rules.

What are you currently playing/GMing?

Right now I am trying to run a weekly/bi weekly game of Shadowrun 5th edition  via Roll20,though we some times play champions. I'm getting ready to test out a Hero system Shadowrun rule set in hopes to make things a little more streamed lined and only have to really know one system (as I am the GM 99.8% of the time).

I've been on the HERO boards since Feb. 2003. I mostly hang out in the back row nowadays, but have been known to post every once in a while (sometimes it's even something that's actually constructive).

How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)? Aylwin Grimboud was a character in a long-running Fantasy HERO game. He started out as the son of a middle-class armorer, but became a knight/mage who eventually became the consort of the Queen. And the 13 is my lucky number.

What was the first tabletop RPG you played?  I played in a pick-up game of AD&D 2E at the public library. Borrowed a 1st level dwarf from the GM, and was killed by an air elemental in the first encounter.

What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?  Champions.

What are you currently playing/GMing?  I am currently between games. My HERO GM moved out of state, and with HERO Central gone those games are kaput.

When did you start to play Hero?  I picked up the 2nd Edition Champions Box set in the Spring 1982. HERO has been my game of choice pretty much ever since.

It was my City of Heroes global handle - I had 27 Brutes on Virtue.  It's a play on the title of a techno song popular when I was in Germany (Das Boot - a techno remix of a show theme)

AD&D 2nd edition.  Our first adventure was the Mines of Bloodstone because we all lied and said we'd played before and used characters from 'previous games'.  All 20th level Dual Classed with straight 25 stats. And mine was half elf, half ogre. Ah, 11 year olds.

AD&D 2nd edition.  My campaign setting had flying islands, tinker gnomes whose inventions worked who had a knock off of the Enterprise-D as their flagship and used RoboCop gnomes as their security. Also sentient tarrasques and a race of magic users ripped directly off from the Haydonites from the Robotech:Sentinels series.  Ah, 13 year olds. 

After a short stint (20 years) of DMing D&D (2nd through 4th) (with far less sentient tarrasques and RoboGnomes as time rolled on.  Kept the flying islands, though.) I've been taking a break and running a Champions Complete game. 

For old times sake it did feature a sentient tarrasque one adventure (A reskinned Grond).  With Champions you can get away with 40 being the new 13 from time to time.

• What are you currently playing/GMing? Errr.....nothing.

You should fix that.... you're too good a GM to be doing nothing.

My handle .... goes back to the days before the Web, into the territory of IRC, and the exact nature of how it came to be are lost to the mists of unreliable narrators.

First RPG; D&D Basic Red Box somewhere in the mid 80s.

First RPG GM'd: a short lived CP2020 game, I don't GM often, perhaps once a decade.

Currently Playing: A Hero-based Necessary Evil campaign (character is the resident brick) [run by BigDamnHero]; An Edge Of The Empire SW game (playing a Bounty Hunter w/ mad piloting skills, emphasis on mad); A Hero Fantasy campaign (playing the groups moral center... er, Paladin) [run by TehBunneh]

Also... yes, I'm still here, lurking, watching, waiting....

You should fix that.... you're too good a GM to be doing nothing.

I appreciate the compliment but a truly good GM is an active one. I can be inspired, obsessive even, but I'm only good when I'm doing it. 

Funny you should mention doing something though. I have had ideas and concepts floating around. Been toying with them. I want to revisit that game world with Lulu in it. Revise it, run it again. Of course, I just read the Pirates Guide to Freeport and that city could practically be dropped right into that setting. Not a discussion topic for here though.

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?

• I'm a massive Spider-Man fan (and have been since before the age of 2), and I study insects and spiders to boot. 8 is a favorite number, and seemed to fit as an addition to a forum handle - no other reason than that. I've since adopted it on other forums as well.

• FASA's Star Trek game back in 1990 or so, followed closely by MERP, TMNT and Other Strangeness, and 4th edition Champions.

• TMNT and Other Strangeness. Also the most recent one I've GMed.

• GMing: The aforementioned TMNT (Road Hogs setting), and intermittently 3.5 D&D, 5th ed. Hero, GURPS, and Rolemaster (RMSS edition). Still on the back burner is a D20 Gamma World game that I hope to come back to sometime. My primary group bounces between a few different campaigns - playing one for a while, then setting it aside and going back to another (or starting a new one).

Playing: GURPS (with 2 different groups), 5th ed. Hero (also 2 groups), 3.5 D&D, Rogue Trader (which I rather dislike for the setting, but plays reasonably well), and Rifts.

I've been a member of the Forum for some time, but Life has kept me away from it for a while.  Not exactly a lurker, but I'm trying to use a return to Champions as a form of recreation to keep my life from driving me nuts...again.

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?     It's the name of my most favored and longest running PCs.
  • What was the first tabletop RPG you played?     The first formal RPG was the 1976 boxed version of D&D...which grew out of the Chainmail game.
  • What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?     The same...the guys I gamed with didn't quite understand the system so it fell to me to hash it iver and run some sessions.
  • What are you currently playing/GMing?     Currently I'm trying to go back over all my records of my original Champions game (1981 w/a 1st edition Champions set to mid 1990's w/ much house-ruled 5th edition).  I hope to clean up the past concepts and dream about running a much better planned campaign in the Tacoma, WA area eventually.

Hi to all of you!

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?   Always loved Hans Ruedi Giger's art, triple 6 helped me to fulfill the 8 characters rule
  • What was the first tabletop RPG you played?     AD&D, back to the 1996.
  • What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?     Still AD&D, but I prefer being a GM for Cthulhu (d100)
  • What are you currently playing/GMing? D&D 5th alternating with Champions, both as a player. I'm enthusiast about the Hero system!

"Kesedrith" is a shortened, human-pronouncable version of the name of my dragon alter ego.  Hey, you asked. :D

My first RPG was the old, original, red-boxed D&D set, back in 1979.  Yep, I'm one of those ancient-timers.

The same as above.  I was the first GM, having no clue what to do, for my first gaming group.

Nothing.  :(  I moved to the Cleveland, OH area from the Atlanta, GA area about three years ago and haven't had the time to find a group to join up here.  I'm trying to remedy this, so if you're in the Cleveland area.....

"Jhaierr" is the name of a character from a fantasy world created by myself and a friend. He is a panther-like warrior prince of the feline humanoid race.

Middle Earth Role-Playing (MERP)

Middle Earth Role-Playing (MERP) - In fact, I began as a GM.

Nothing, unfortunately. I was most recently GMing a superhero Champions 6E game online with friends, but I had to put it on hold during my internship and while I finish the last year of grad school.

• What are you currently playing/GMing?
  • Nothing.   :(  I moved to the Cleveland, OH area from the Atlanta, GA area about three years ago and haven't had the time to find a group to join up here.  I'm trying to remedy this, so if you're in the Cleveland area.....
  •  

Yo, I just left Cleveland not too long ago. I ran the Cleveland State University gaming club for a while - you can probably still find some people around that scene. Some really good people out there, though a lot of the local community is more LARP-focused, which is not everyone's thing.

Also, welcome everybody! :)

Hi, I've been a long time fan and off and on player of Hero System for lots of years.  I've recently been obsessed with an idea of running a Hero System game on Roll20 which has me studying JavaScript and 6thed rules and basically tearing my hair out.  

It's actually my stage name in my band.

DnD

DnD  I actually began as GM

I'm currently working hard on creating a very low power, street-level game of Hero System set in Gotham where the players are struggling, bottom level criminals.  I'm trying to implement the Hero System on Roll20 and play this on there.  I may have been too ambitious with this idea.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

• What was the first tabletop RPG you played?

It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh...

• What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?

You know what I'm trying to say...

• What are you currently playing/GMing?

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.

• 2 weeks later...

Alcamtar was a character name from an example magic item build from the 1985 edition of Fantasy Hero.

My first game was B/X D&D, circa 1981 or 82. That was also my first GM experience... I didn't have anyone else to play with so I roped my family into it.

Currently prepping a Fantasy Hero (FHC) adaptation of Master of the Desert Nomads (X4/X5). This is the first Hero in some years, as we've been playing B/X D&D and ACKS exclusively, and Dungeon World before that.

First played Fantasy Hero in 1985. Also played Star Hero once in 1986 (IIRC). Those are the only Hero genres I've played.

20 years ago I spent 30 days in the Bangor submarine base brig for calling a third class petty officer, "dude."

;)

Yeah, sounds like that officer was petty.

But then again at Loring Air Force Base I knew someone who got a few days extra duty for calling the Mobility NCO "The Mobility Dude."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the dude may abide, but some people in the military can't abide "dude"

Yeah, sounds like that officer was petty.

But then again at Loring Air Force Base I knew someone who got a few days extra duty for calling the Mobility NCO "The Mobility Dude."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the dude may abide, but some people in the military can't abide "dude"

I've learned a lot about respect this last score.

Mr. Brooks

I knew an inmate at the U.S.D.B. that got seven years for wearing an unauthorized ribbon. I mean, wearing an unawarded CMoH is a douche move, but seven years! If that inmate's story is to be believed, it had more to do with dating (and cheating) on the post general's daughter than anything.

Speaking as a vet (but not a lawyer): 7 years for wearing a bogus CMoH sounds just about right to me - they take that shit seriously. Saying it was because the General had it in for him sounds like he's trying to deflect responsibility for his own shitty decisions, which is exactly what I'd expect from someone who tried to take credit for shit he didn't do (ie wearing a ribbon he didn't earn). But hey, I didn't know the guy.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I looked it up and wearing or claiming a Medal Of Honor you didn't earn is punishable by a fine of $100K and up to 1 year in prison. I don't care how much the General hates you - he can't legally exceed USMJ penalties, and if he somehow did it would've been instantly overturned on appeal. So either the guy wore it 7 times and they charged him for each incident separately - which is possible but seems like a stretch - or there was additional stuff going on that the guy didn't want to talk about.

Edited by bigdamnhero