Photo
- - - - -

Legal battle for Villains and Vigilantes - GoFundMe

Creator Rights Villains and Vigilantes court case

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 dsatow

dsatow

Bionic Occult Mutant Alien Samurai Hero

• 912 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:46 PM

I don't know if other have posted about this but I'd figure I'd give my $0.02 and help promote their cause.

Back in the early eighties, this game and D&D were the two RPGs I really got into.  V&V was published by Fantasy Games Unlimited, it came in a stereotypical box set and I played the hell out the system before I started playing HERO in college.  I still have fond memories of the game but HERO is more robust.

FGU was not known as a nice game publisher and it had a reputation for abusing its creators.  Jeff Dee and Jack Herman were fairly young and naive when they created the game and FGU kept a strangle hold on the rights until the company died in the 90s.  Even then, the creators had to launch a court battle to get back the rights to publish their game.  Now, the former president of FGU is still fighting the two, trying to prevent them from using it's name.

Read more about it at

https://www.gofundme...nkeyhousegames/

and hopefully help fund their efforts.

#2 NuSoardGraphite

NuSoardGraphite

Double Millennial Master

• 4,505 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

Thats kinda crazy.  V&V is the first Superhero game I ever played.  I remember it fondly.  Hopefully the creators can retain the rights and release a new version.  Always great to see a classic game come back into circulation.

#3 Michael Hopcroft

Michael Hopcroft

Your Tax Dollars at Play

• 26,423 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

Apparently the case has finally been settled, part of the settlement being that Monkey House (Jeff Dee's company) ackowledges FGU ownership of the trademark but is allowed to use it without apparent limitation.

A new POD release of V&V is going to be made on Lulu in consequence, and the PDF is still available on DriveThru.

Whether in these times V&V is even considered playable, much less appealing to new players, is open to conjecture. The expectations of roleplayers have changed dramatically over the last ten years....

6th Edition is for entertainment purposes only.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to make crummy re-imaginings.

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in righteousness." -- Bernie Taupin

#4 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,517 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:34 AM

I think it'll have more appeal for the OSR crowd, and collectors. I doubt they'll gain a lot of new or younger players. More like older gamers picking up a new copy either out of nostalgia or curiosity.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#5 SCUBA Hero

SCUBA Hero

END User

• 2,830 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

Whether in these times V&V is even considered playable, much less appealing to new players, is open to conjecture.

I suppose so.  Nostalgia is a powerful thing (see, for example, Steve Jackson Games' Kickstarter campaign for Ogre!).

I bought the new V&V.  Heck, our gaming group actually ran a campaign using V&V!  Good times...

"I think someone spiked SCUBA's airtank ..." -CrosshairCollie