Why does no one want to GM superheroes?

starblaze

My approach to this problem is to say "Describe your character to me in narrative, non-mechanical terms" and then build it for them. More work for me of course, but I actually like building Hero character, so it's all good.

I'd have a mutiny.  My gaming group is pile of programmers and mathematicians (and me, who has a 50% grade 10 math score under his belt from more than 20 years ago) - crunching the numbers and the mechanical complexity that Hero character building CAN bring is what they like best about the system.  

Since it's what they like I encourage it and even occasionally hold character building 'challenges' ("In this super hero game I'm using Sum 0 - all advantages and disadvantages on a power or power pool must sum to 0").  It's only when someone decides to mechanically 'solve' the game that things turn sour.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have a mutiny.  My gaming group is pile of programmers and mathematicians (and me, who has a 50% grade 10 math score under his belt from more than 20 years ago) - crunching the numbers and the mechanical complexity that Hero character building CAN bring is what they like best about the system. 

Spence's post (that I was responding to) was about introducing new players. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my reply.

I'm the one that missed the 'new' in his post.

I'd still have a mutiny but less of one - a few people at the table *do* pass their sheets to the 'professionals' after a first pass and have the pros optimise it - often giving them an extra 50 to 100 character points to play with.

Which is sort of related to my earlier anecdote - set the limits all you want and you'll still have a werewolf with a few heightened senses and some claws standing beside a Dragonball Z fighter able to destroy a building with a single gesture with a near invulnerable personal Barrier and mach flight and...

It's actually why Sum 0 works for us especially for short term games.  The professional builder's character is 'better', certainly, but at least he's not a virtual 800 point (or a thousand)  point character (they always choose magic or power armor as a concept. Lots of points to be gained with focus and such.) to someone else's 400.

A good GM keeps a handle on this, of course, but it can be tiring to all involved - both to say AND hear 'no, please don't do that' (especially if it's a good idea) so many GM, especially new ones, just... give up.  One guy in our group is the biggest comic book fan I know and he'd love to run a game... but every single time he does someone does something that he just can't conceptually deal with (and he's the kind of guy who has a hard time saying 'no') so he's learned to not even try.

Reminds me once again I need to thank my players for being more interested in creating good characters & telling a story than in showing off their munchkin-fu. My closest-thing-to-a-problem is I have one player who likes to take Complications that are extremely unlikely to come up in play. And even there I don't think he's doing it to be munchkiney, he just has a hard time coming up with valid Comps, so he leaves it to me to figure out a way to work them in. But I can't remember the last time I had to veto a power/build. Clearly I am blessed.