DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

The reboot of the Justice League by Mark Waid in the 80s had an invasion by White Martians, as well.  That was a great comic for quite a while.

Comic book fans know all this and understand the stories and differences, but Comic Book fans know that Darkseid came before Thanos.  I'm just wondering about general audiences.

Comic book fans know all this and understand the stories and differences, but Comic Book fans know that Darkseid came before Thanos.  I'm just wondering about general audiences.

Yeah, I saw complaints that Benedict Cumberbatch in Dr. Strange was ripping off RDJ's Iron Man origin, even though the IM origin as presented in the movie was a new embellishment, while Strange's was very close to his classic origin from over fifty years ago.

Then again, comic fans aren't immune to ignorance. I remember a new Spirit story by Will Eisner in a Marvel prestige magazine from the late 1980s. One letter-writer to a subsequent issue complained that the artist was ripping off Bill Sienkewicz. :rolleyes:

Ultimately you can't worry about where the audience thinks you got your inspiration from. You have to tell the best story you can.

I do recall with some humor the outrage the Green Lantern movie received before it came out because "Green Lantern is black!!" Because the Justice League animated Series take on John Stewart (Who got more than a little revamp from the comics himself for the transition that borrowed some elements from Hal IIRC). Comic fans were face palming at this, naturally.

AN Earth born Green Lantern is black, yes. But Hal preceded him, and then before that we had Golden Age Alan Scott. 

Little did the angered TV viewers realize there would be legitimate reasons for outrage :)

Yeah, I saw complaints that Benedict Cumberbatch in Dr. Strange was ripping off RDJ's Iron Man origin

It gave me more of a Batman Begins vibe (humbled rich guy loses everything, goes on a quest to far eastern monastery) but it was distinct enough, and as you noted much like the original origin story.

Ultimately you can't worry about where the audience thinks you got your inspiration from. You have to tell the best story you can.

Yeah and if you pull it off, nobody cares in the end where you got it from.  I mean Star Wars (A New Hope) was incredibly derivative, but it worked so well people didn't mind.  Ditto Harry Potter.  A lot of great stuff is very copied or at least informed by other, previous work.

It gave me more of a Batman Begins vibe (humbled rich guy loses everything, goes on a quest to far eastern monastery) but it was distinct enough, and as you noted much like the original origin story.

Yeah and if you pull it off, nobody cares in the end where you got it from.  I mean Star Wars (A New Hope) was incredibly derivative, but it worked so well people didn't mind.  Ditto Harry Potter.  A lot of great stuff is very copied or at least informed by other, previous work.

Timing is important for the success of a movie.  I fully expected that Han Solo would have been killed in Star Wars as it was something that happened a lot in 1970s movies.  The characters made Star Wars a success, the background setting less important, although the space battle was pretty cool. 

It was only later that Lucas took the whole Force thing too seriously.

I do recall with some humor the outrage the Green Lantern movie received before it came out because "Green Lantern is black!!" Because the Justice League animated Series take on John Stewart (Who got more than a little revamp from the comics himself for the transition that borrowed some elements from Hal IIRC). Comic fans were face palming at this, naturally.

AN Earth born Green Lantern is black, yes. But Hal preceded him, and then before that we had Golden Age Alan Scott. 

Little did the angered TV viewers realize there would be legitimate reasons for outrage :)

Yeah, but a John Stewart GL movie might have been better, depending on who they cast.

Ben Affleck is apparently living up to a nickname given to him a long time ago, in a Kevin Smith movie.

rJsW1pm.png

Makes me think Warner might want to move on from him, given all the allegations that are coming out.

Why again did they think he was a good choice for Batman?

Acting-wise, Affleck brought a lot of force and depth to the Batman and Bruce Wayne. I expect him to do the same in Justice League. These accusations are very disappointing, and the timing as far as JL marketing goes couldn't be much worse. But I long since gave up hoping that actors playing role models would live up to their fictional characters. I just try to take the fiction on its own merits.

Bryan Singer went through this. Harvey Weinstein is going through this. I guess it's Ben Affleck's turn at the stake.

This is all fuel for the "Your Fave is Problematic" meme that is grabbing mindspace in various corners of the Internet these days.

Affleck does okay as Batman.  He's not physically convincing, but he is a decent actor.

In what way do you feel that Ben Affleck was physically unconvincing? He's bigger and more imposing than any of the actors who came before him in the role.

Actually he was one of the better things about that movie.  I figured he'd be one of the worst, but he actually did okay.  It just turns out that he really is his character from Mallrats.

I'm not disagreeing, but that's both a low bar, and very sad.

Maybe the saw him as discount Robert Downey, Jr..

I hope Justice League is great and does really well so they can expand and put characters like Zatanna and Green Lantern in :)

Zatanna - fishnets and unintelligible backwards-talk.

For the average movie-goer, that could go really well...or really, really, really bad.