DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

I was listening to comments from a superhero film "insider," John Campea, on YouTube today. He said he had noticed on meeting Zachary Levi on a few occasions over the past few months, that he was getting noticeably more jacked. It's quite likely Levi knew he'd been cast and was already preparing himself physically for the role, before the official announcement. Also, Warner Bros. has already announced that Shazam! (maybe not the final movie title, but what classic Captain Marvel is now officially named in DC comics :tonguewav ) is going to be the "most fun" of any DC movie to date. That does seem to match Levi's casting, which Campea praised on that basis.

Anyone interested in John Campea's actual remarks can watch them

Who knows, you might be right, pinecone. WB/DC retconned her backstory from BvS, so who knows what else they'll do as these movies continue. After only two appearances they're already rewriting her narrative to fix the stupid decisions they made only a few years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if, after Justice League, they retcon the whole first WW movie to allow the second one to tell a completely different Diana Prince story. WB/DC still doesn't know how to get out of its own way (creatively).

All of Hollywood has some problems. Once the lid was blown off the Harvey Weinstein case, all the women who have ever been sexually harassed in Hollywood (i.e., practically all of them) now feel emboldened to step forward, which means almost any guy who has ever been in a position of power or authority in Hollywood will be in the hot seat for the next few weeks.

They were buck naked in the comic, other than helm and cloak.

Of course in real life they wore heavy armor, but the comic and movie stylized everything to iconic imagery: the Spartans were how the Persians saw them (faceless physical godlike creatures but savage and uncivilized tribals) and the Persians were as the Greeks saw them (freakish, alien monstrosities in outlandish outfits).

Agreed. I took them on that level, and had no problem with doing that in the movie, because that was the intent of the source material. But 300 and Justice League are apples and oranges. And particularly since the "fruit display" in the latter seems to have changed so noticeably from Wonder Woman, it was bound to draw controversy.

I'm not a fan of Snyder's Amazon outfits either. And while everyone lauds the costumes in the Jenkins film, let's face it, they weren't exactly historically accurate either. To be fair, superhero movies aren't trying to be historically authentic in any of their style choices, so that shouldn't surprise anyone. But Snyder's take on ancient "armor" is an insult to the concept of "warrior", be it male or female.

I'm also not a fan of the muscle-bound female body-builder look, to be honest. Amazons were warriors, yes, and they would have been in peak physical condition. However, they would not look like these women who have clearly been juicing on steroids. They look entirely too masculine. Wonder Woman herself looks completely out of place among them, which is a real conceptual as well as aesthetic problem in my view.