DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

1 hour ago, zslane said:

I'm also not a fan of the muscle-bound female body-builder look, to be honest. Amazons were warriors, yes, and they would have been in peak physical condition. However, they would not look like these women who have clearly been juicing on steroids. They look entirely too masculine. Wonder Woman herself looks completely out of place among them, which is a real conceptual as well as aesthetic problem in my view.

As if we ever discuss the build and musculature of male comic characters this way, but anyway, I disagree.  I would expect a race of warrior women who apparently spend all day every day training for Ragnarok to look more buff and masculine than anyone posting on this board.  They would at least look more like Serena Williams than Kim Kardashian.  If WW herself sticks out, it can be explained by her relative lack of training and/or her unusual heritage.

The costume change is disappointing.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

I would expect a race of warrior women who apparently spend all day every day training for Ragnarok to look more buff and masculine than anyone posting on this board.

Well, sure, but that's because most of us don't have much of a physique at all, never mind a hypermasculinized one. Given the biological norms for our species, Amazons would look like olympic heptathletes, not modern female body builders who dose themselves with steroids to give themselves an unnaturally masculine physique.

29 minutes ago, zslane said:

Well, sure, but that's because most of us don't have much of a physique at all, never mind a hypermasculinized one. Given the biological norms for our species, Amazons would look like olympic heptathletes, not modern female body builders who dose themselves with steroids to give themselves an unnaturally masculine physique.

The heptathlon is a track and field competition.  Maybe, Amazons don't spend all that much time running away.  Have you looked at the physiques of female boxers and MMAs.  A lot of them have some serious muscles.

None of the women from that article look like they're on steroids to me.  They all look like crossfit trainers to me.  The girls at my gym that do crossfit certainly aren't juicing, they're just in really good shape.  Good muscle tone, less than 5% body fat, just like Serena Williams and some other tennis players I've seen as well.

Most performance athletes, including boxers and MMA fighters, don't juice up on steroids the way body builders do. Surely I'm not the only person here who recognizes the impact of routine steroid use on the human body and can see that Snyder's Amazons look more like body builders than boxers. Look at Ronda Rousey versus the women on American Gladiators. No comparison.

25 minutes ago, zslane said:

Snyder's Amazons

Seems like they're the same Amazons, different costumes. Or at least some of them. There was a featurette about the Amazon training that they went to that had blurbs on the extras playing the Amazons. Some of them were body builders, some crossfit trainers, some fitness models, some mixed martial artists, some models and actresses by trade. They were all sent through boot camp which looked like cross fit stuff (like I'd know, my sport is un-fit) to me. A few of them were pretty muscular, but mostly they were just fit-looking, with a little added body mass and low body fat from the boot camp.

I'm also not a fan of the muscle-bound female body-builder look, to be honest. Amazons were warriors, yes, and they would have been in peak physical condition. However, they would not look like these women who have clearly been juicing on steroids. They look entirely too masculine. Wonder Woman herself looks completely out of place among them, which is a real conceptual as well as aesthetic problem in my view.

I agree completely.  But the look probably appeals to Snyder.

22 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Maybe it was beach day at Paradise Island when they were attacked? Which would explain why the Amazons are not wearing their armour. 

Thats it! Maybe it was the day they choose a new queen by pillow fights...thats what caused the invasion, a few naughty amazons lit the grail sign....:winkgrin:

Is my memory playing tricks  on me, or did Wonder Woman have a bunch of early reviews before it came out.  Justice League comes out Friday and there still hasn't been a single early review.  That doesn't seem like a good sign,

I want this movie to be good.  Heck, I want it to be awesome, but I am not going to go see it unless it has a Rotten Tomato score of at least 70%.  I have Friday off and I could certainly take in a movie, but I have this uneasy feeling that I will spending Friday binge watching The Punisher on  Netflix instead.  Hope I'm wrong  about that.

5 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Is my memory playing tricks  on me, or did Wonder Woman have a bunch of early reviews before it came out.  Justice League comes out Friday and there still hasn't been a single early review.  That doesn't seem like a good sign,

I want this movie to be good.  Heck, I want it to be awesome, but I am not going to go see it unless it has a Rotten Tomato score of at least 70%.  I have Friday off and I could certainly take in a movie, but I have this uneasy feeling that I will spending Friday binge watching The Punisher on  Netflix instead.  Hope I'm wrong  about that.

apparently, they are not allowing any reviews until 1 day before release.

Most of the reviewers' social media comments I've been reading are of the "flawed, but good" variety. There's quite a bit of commonality to them, actually. Strengths: fine visuals, good action sequences, great characterizations and chemistry among the Leaguers, drama well balanced with humor, an overall fun experience. Weaknesses: story is unoriginal, plotline is rather incoherent, main villain is underwhelming.