DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

As comics nerds, we know that. But the mainstream audience is going to go " Who?" It doesn't help that he is a B-lister even among Darkseid's lackeys. Kailbak, Granny(and her Furies), Godfrey and DeSaad are all better known.

Yes, but one of the biggest complaints about Green Lantern was throwing a rookie up against something the Guardians themselves didn't want to face.

Funnily enough Steppenwolf was used in an episode of Justice League Action - in the first episode I'd ever let my 4 year old son watch.

He teleported Superman to a red sun planet and started beating him up.  My son was watching between fingers: He asked 'is he going to die' at which point I said I was turning the channel - he's still too young and it was ok to be scared - to which he protested that he wasn't scared and took his hands down (for all of 10 seconds).  Afterwards he walked around the house doing a 'superhero' voice for an hour (and it was cute/hilarious listening to him speaking as deep and gruffly as he could (Batman was also in the episode)).

That's... basically my only knowledge of the character. But due to context I probably won't forget him now.

2 hours ago, Grailknight said:

As comics nerds, we know that. But the mainstream audience is going to go " Who?"

Does that matter? The movie will presumably do the necessary job of introducing Steppenwolf to the audience. As mentioned earlier, nobody knew who Hans Gruber was either, and he made a fine movie villain.

Yeah its all about the writing, if they make Steppenwolf interesting, it doesn't matter who he is.  Justice League doesn't really have the visibility or international recognition as just Superman or Spider-man.  People don't really know who their enemies are.  Heck I barely can think of their rogue's gallery.  Early reviews make the bad guy sound kind of generic (he doesn't look very interesting either, very bland) but maybe they are just picky or don't know comic books or don't like this kind of film to begin with.  We'll see.  I don't often agree with reviews very much anyway.

21 hours ago, Cassandra said:

I think it shows an insane amount of optimism to have  a second rate villain in their first Justice League movie.  What, are they saving Darkseid for the sequel?

This is just what happened with Suicide Squad and having the Enchantress as their villain (Okay, one of the problems.)

This is the post that got me my 1000th like!

5000 Post in Nine Years!

14 minutes ago, drunkonduty said:

Are you sure that was one of the biggest complaints?

Not that it was just overall a bad movie?

Green Lantern and Justice League have the same problem.  The worlds they present are obviously computer generated.

54 minutes ago, drunkonduty said:

Are you sure that was one of the biggest complaints?

Not that it was just overall a bad movie?

Exactly.  The biggest problems with the movie was the director not clearly knowing which GL they were using. Not ALL GL's create detailed objects with an artists precision. Hal was always known for SIMPLE. The performance and sfx were indicating Kyle. The other issue was about the crappiest choice of a first villain. The DCAU's approach of using Sinestro to begin with would have worked much better.

25 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I can live with heavy CGI if its really interesting style (300, Sky Captain) but not if its just... effects and glitz.

Agreed.

Action sequences need to be motivated by story and character. If they are not then action sequences are just flashing lights/explosions/loud noises/whatever.

But there's more to it than that. The story needs to do it well. There's no hard and fast rule for what constitutes doing it well. As a general point I'd say the more story there is the better the chance that the action will be sufficiently motivated. But not always.

IIRC Green Lantern gave us a fair amount of story. The whole back story, call to action, training montage, etc. Yet the action sequences seemed unmotivated. I'd have to re-watch the crap to give a thorough break down of what I think went wrong and that ain't gonna happen.

The LEGO Batman movie was excellent.

Which reminds me.  There was a Lego movie where Brainiac attacks Earth and strands the Justice League members in the past, and it's up to Batman and Flash to retrieve them, while Cyborg and Supergirl fight Brainiac's robot minions.

If only the Justice League had stole that plot.

24 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'm not sensing a kind of "I gotta see this" from anyone about Justice League, like even for stuff like Captain America.  They aren't generating trust and passion at DC movies yet.  Maybe never.

Unlike Marvel which introduced the members of the team in other movies we only saw Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg in short scenes in Batman v. Superman, scenes that would have been confusing to non fans.  

23 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

My wife saw a headline that the JL villain was Steppenwolf. Her response? "They're fighting a band? One that only has two good songs?" :D

The question is whether DC is self-aware enough to have a character make that joke in-character or not, and who gets to make it. My money’s on Flash.