DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Not... really.  Certainly the JL movie could have benefited from a more interesting adversary, but at the same time, it isn't critical if the emotional center of the movie is the budding friendship between the Super Friends.  That was the part of Suicide Squad that sort of worked.  Sometimes a blank slate is a good thing in terms of creativity and unrealistic fanboy expectations.

What would really be crazy is putting out a $200M effects-laden box office blockbuster based on a blue guy, a green girl, an abducted earthling, a humanoid tree, and a talking raccoon, all of which are based on incredibly obscure characters from a comic book that hasn't even been in print for a decade.  If I were a film exec I would shoot the director in the head before allowing that to happen.

Or...not as crazy as a $200M, three hour long teen romance disguised as a historical disaster movie involving one of the most famous incidents of the 20th century where you already know the ending, the hero dies, and the main villains are icebergs and the guy who previously played a jungle-based superhero dressed in purple spandex.  :)

No, definitely watch Titanic over Twilight if you 'want' tragic teen romance (you don't).  It's better in every conceivable way, even on the angst-y teenage romance stuff. 

Though really... just do what I do and youtube the boat sinking part of the movie.  It's the reason I agreed to go with my fiance at the time, after all, and worth seeing.

Don't get me started on Titanic. We are all used to Hollywood f**king over history for the sake of a story but that one gets me spitting blood. 

When it is just inserting Americans into a war story we all roll our eyes but no harm done. When you use real people's names for "historical accuracy" but then have them behave like monsters then you deserve to be taken out and shot! 

Breaking down the current Justice League

Superman - Actor  looked good with glasses as Clark Kent, and was based on previous performances has experience playing a zombie.

Batman - DC went for a trouble talented actor, but picked the wrong one (Didn't anyone watch Daredevil?)

Wonder Woman - The only good thing in the movie, and not given enough to do.

Cyborg - Discount Iron Man

Aquaman - Discount Thor, with an actor chosen because he was on a show with the word Atlantis in it (And Patrick Duffy was too old).

Flash - Chris Kattan character from a SNL skit.

52 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

I almost want to see some studio put forth an Animal Man adaptation if only because it might be even more bizarre than the source material...and not in a good way.

B'Wana Beast would be a better choice, giving his power to combined animals together.

Honey Bee/Elephant!

• 3 weeks later...

The Twilight movies don't give me the satisfaction of watching Leonardo di Caprio die onscreen.

As for the DCEU, I really hope they don't throw Henry Cavill's Superman out with the bathwater. I thought his solo film was pretty good overall, and Cavill does a great job when he's allowed to act like Superman rather than a scowling murder hobo. Hell, I'd love to see him make appearances as Clark Kent in the other characters' movies, no caped heroics required.

I wish they would still do a Superman movie in the old serials vein of making it a Lois and Clark investigative movie, especially with movies like The Post out, and have Superman there to help "save the day" when they get in to far over their heads. One thing I really liked in the newer Superman movies was that Lois was actually an intrepid reporter and was good at it apparently.

Maybe do a Crime Syndicate movie (not the ones with the supervillain versions of the JL), with Lois investigating and writing on it and therefore being put in jeopardy because of it.

We have all mentioned that a big difference between the DCEU and the MCU is that Marvel has recognized that Superheroes can be a meta genre with other genre's under it (blockbuster adventure, war movie, heist movie, space opera) and DC just keeps trying to make (doomy and gloomy) superhero blockbusters. WW sort of changed that, being a war movie (as Captain America was) with WW thrown in and Greek overtones. If DC would realize this, they could do similar with political/crime reporting (Lois and Clark), Noir Detective (Batman or Flash), Space Opera (Green Lantern), semi-fantasy stuff (WW or Aquaman) and even Cyberpunkish (Cyborg).

4 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I wish they would still do a Superman movie in the old serials vein of making it a Lois and Clark investigative movie, especially with movies like The Post out, and have Superman there to help "save the day" when they get in to far over their heads. One thing I really liked in the newer Superman movies was that Lois was actually an intrepid reporter and was good at it apparently.

Maybe do a Crime Syndicate movie (not the ones with the supervillain versions of the JL), with Lois investigating and writing on it and therefore being put in jeopardy because of it.

We have all mentioned that a big difference between the DCEU and the MCU is that Marvel has recognized that Superheroes can be a meta genre with other genre's under it (blockbuster adventure, war movie, heist movie, space opera) and DC just keeps trying to make (doomy and gloomy) superhero blockbusters. WW sort of changed that, being a war movie (as Captain America was) with WW thrown in and Greek overtones. If DC would realize this, they could do similar with political/crime reporting (Lois and Clark), Noir Detective (Batman or Flash), Space Opera (Green Lantern), semi-fantasy stuff (WW or Aquaman) and even Cyberpunkish (Cyborg).

They could also try and make it seem like superheroes working in the real world, and not in some video game.

On 19/12/2017 at 11:22 PM, Cassandra said:

Trying to make a TV pilot with Dominic Fortune is a bad an idea as having Steppenwolf as the main villain in The Justice League movie.

You are forgetting the fact that Steppenwolf is born to be wild. He can climb so high that he's never gonna die.