DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

• 1 month later...

Yeah he's a bit handsy and probably they'd rather not have him involved in this kind of project.

Besides I'd really rather someone else did the film.  Part of made Wonder Woman work... well, better than the most recent previous DC film attempts... was that they had someone else do the directing than the usual suspects.  Marvel has been great about mixing it up and giving interesting people the jobs.  I'm looking forward to Avengers by someone other than Whedon.  Really looking forward to it after Avengers 2.

I've been hearing Roxanne Gray's name thrown about, but so far as I know she has no directing experience, and WB was stoked about a Batgirl movie in the first place because Whedon brought up the idea. I suspect it's not going to happen at all now. They'll have to reschedule the BootyCam for more filming on Harley Quinn movies.

Sadly, I think you're right Matt. I don't think WB particularly wants or cares about a Batgirl movie. They have Wonder Woman serving as their hallmark female superhero and I'm sure they don't see a need for another female superhero franchise. Without (a scandal-free) Whedon attached, this project probably has zero momentum within corporate WB.

DC would be a lot better served with a full scale reboot.  They can keep some of the same actors if they want but start from scratch.  

But this time: no origin stories.  Everyone already knows.  Just tell a story with the character.  Nobody needs to see James Bond's origin story.  Nobody cared about Detective McClane's days in the police academy for Die Hard.  Just get in and tell good stories that are fun and exciting.

A full reboot with the same actors (e.g., Gadot, Cavill) would be extremely awkward (structurally, narratively). I don't think they have the storytelling chops to pull something like that off in a way that would reverse the public's sour opinion of the DCU. IMO, their best bet going forward is to just make solid, standalone superhero movies that have no visible ties to each other or to a larger story arc. They should just let Marvel have the shared universe space and stop trying to compete there all together.

59 minutes ago, Greywind said:

Just keep in mind that The Flash movie is going to be based off of Flashpoint.

Of course it is. I don't believe that the powers that be at DC/WB are aware of any other stories for the Flash. It's right up there with the handful of graphic novels that they always go back to for Batman and Superman.

24 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Of course it is. I don't believe that the powers that be at DC/WB are aware of any other stories for the Flash. It's right up there with the handful of graphic novels that they always go back to for Batman and Superman.

Most movie writers are unaware of the lore of comic books.  That's why we get Doomsday in Batman v Superman.

Flashpoint gives them an opportunity to rebuild the universe and maybe make it less awful this time around.  Just having Superman smile and not be gray and miserable all the time would be a big start.

I think the culture is ready for something uplifting and hopeful, given the ocean of misery and darkness in entertainment now.

On 2/23/2018 at 1:53 PM, Matt the Bruins said:

I've been hearing Roxanne Gray's name thrown about, but so far as I know she has no directing experience, and WB was stoked about a Batgirl movie in the first place because Whedon brought up the idea. I suspect it's not going to happen at all now. They'll have to reschedule the BootyCam for more filming on Harley Quinn movies.

I have been shocked that WB hasn't tried to push a Batwoman movie more. With it, they get the LGBTQ group, if done right, which of course they won't.

They've never made a good effort to establish a Bat Family franchise. (Though they were almost there with the early seasons of Arrow, but mostly on the antagonist level.) If they were going to do an interconnected franchise, the Bat Family in Gotham and Bludhaven, including a progression from  Batgirl to Oracle in Birds of Prey, would be a good bet. Not that they seem to have the chops or the patience to build something like that up, but it'd be a much different take than the Avengers/JL mirroring, and they could tell stories in a similar genre of gritty street level stuff with bizarre/crazy villains, mercs, conspiracies, etc., then make the rest of their superhero movies as standalone efforts.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:42 PM, Cassandra said:

... and drops more easter eggs then the Easter Bunny flying a B-52.

Just wanted to thank you for this image.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks me what I am going to do with the image now I have it?

16 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Flashpoint gives them an opportunity to rebuild the universe and maybe make it less awful this time around.  Just having Superman smile and not be gray and miserable all the time would be a big start.

I think the culture is ready for something uplifting and hopeful, given the ocean of misery and darkness in entertainment now.

Flashpoint should only be about 15 years or so in the past, which isn't really enough to rewrite everything with Man of Steel, or even the implied backstory of Batfleck. It's also inherently a story where "fixing" the past breaks it more, and requires more tinkering. So, not a great plot line for pinning DC's movie universe's salvation on. At this point, they'd get better results in just making the changes to the shared universe, and not explaining it (kind of how the first Incredible Hulk movie doesn't really count for Marvel). 

There's also something to be said for not killing off everyone's parents in the back story.