DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

I know this will probably get me banned, but I have to say it.

The Dark Knight trilogy is overrated.

The Dark Knight was a great movie if overly violent, and seemed to be more a James Bond movie at times.

Batman Begins was too slow in the set up, and was redeemed by Batman's last line to Ras.

The Dark Knight Rises has Catwoman, some impressive special effects, but has enough plot holes to fly the Batplane through.

Marvel didn't yet have a formula when Batman Begins or The Dark Knight came out. In fact, I'd say their formula for success didn't really emerge until 2012 when The Avengers thoroughly eclipsed Dark Knight Rises. The decision to approach superheroes "realistically" and "seriously" wasn't a particularly awful one, as it potentially offered a point of distinction with what Marvel was coming out with, but that wasn't the start of their corporate psychosis, in my view. They didn't truly go off the rails until after The Avengers put incredible pressure on WB to turn Man of Steel into the basis for a shared universe. It was that strategic decision, along with completely untenable time tables, that put them on the path to implosion they are now trying to rescue themselves from.

The first two Batman movies were really well done and enjoyable, the third was miserable.  Just an awful film, and a waste of Bane as a character.  HOw can you go so wrong with a guy that's a huge Mexican Wrestler type who uses super steroids to go nuts and get insanely stronger?  Plus being a mastermind?  Nolan blew it.

But the first two were really well done.

3 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The first two Batman movies were really well done and enjoyable, the third was miserable.  Just an awful film, and a waste of Bane as a character.  HOw can you go so wrong with a guy that's a huge Mexican Wrestler type who uses super steroids to go nuts and get insanely stronger?  Plus being a mastermind?  Nolan blew it.

I couldn't get past Bane having been Shinzon.

48 minutes ago, Greywind said:

I've never liked Bane. Not in Batman and Robin. Not in The Dark Knight Rises. And not in the comics.

I've never liked Bane either... which is why I probably enjoyed Dark Knight Rises more than most. I loved Hathaway's Catwoman and the broken down Bruce Wayne, and Joseph Gorden Robin, and the Talia twist. The movie was needlessly complex and had major plot holes, but Bane was just a big thug that was distracting from the real villain, which I was just fine with.

I liked Bane for what he was originally, which is a physically powerful crime lord who was also smart and tactically intelligent. He was there to break the bat so they could switch to Azrael. the writers then did a good job of creating a villain to do that. He setup Bats to wear himself down on all his other villains before confronting him.

I have not liked him since. To me, he was the equivalent of Wolverine in X-Men when they started. Great for the first few stories/run, but not making sense as a multiple group member. Bane was a great 1 shot villain. He was far from the character in Batman forever.

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Liked the first movie, liked the second movie up until that ending which I despised then and despise now, walked out of the third one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 1:12 PM, Cassandra said:

I know this will probably get me banned, but I have to say it.

The Dark Knight trilogy is overrated.

The Dark Knight was a great movie if overly violent, and seemed to be more a James Bond movie at times.

Batman Begins was too slow in the set up, and was redeemed by Batman's last line to Ras.

The Dark Knight Rises has Catwoman, some impressive special effects, but has enough plot holes to fly the Batplane through.

Why would having an opinion get you banned? There's an entire thread on the board called Destroy Your Geek Cred that's entirely about stuff like this.

As far as the Dark Knight Trilogy, yeah it's okay, but not great. I could name 5 comic book movies  and 10 "mainstream" movies that are better. That's just off the top of my head.

52 minutes ago, Andrew_A said:

As far as the Dark Knight Trilogy, yeah it's okay, but not great. I could name 5 comic book movies  and 10 "mainstream" movies that are better. That's just off the top of my head.

And go!

(Just for the record, I am not a fan of the Dark Knight stuff either. It's okay, not great.)

As I always say, "I don't like it" is not synonymous with "It's no good." Subjective taste and objective quality are both valid, but entirely different measures. I can appreciate a fictional entertainment for its production values, cinematography, intelligent script, skilled acting, etc., yet not enjoy it. OTOH I can recognize that something is poorly put together while still having fun watching it.

For the record I put the Dark Knight trilogy in the former category. I admire what it accomplished but have no desire to watch any of those movies again. But I'm also no fan of the Batman character generally. (Now that may bring the haters down on my head.) :fear:

22 hours ago, Watchman Mk. IV said:

I'll watch The Dark Knight for Heath Ledger's iconic performance, but the other two are meh to me (although Anne Hathaway in latex is a draw). :)

Now this will the torches and pitchforks....

I thought Heath Ledger played the part he was given well. 

But I didn't like that version of Joker. 

16 minutes ago, Spence said:

Now this will the torches and pitchforks....

I thought Heath Ledger played the part he was given well. 

But I didn't like that version of Joker. 

No pitchforks, maybe a Batarang or two... :)

I thought it was great.  It cleaved closer to the comics and was a wide departure from previous portrayals.