Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason S.Walters

Hero Forums Members Only! Strike Force KS Draft Available For Comment!

Should you like to have a look at the draft for the Aaron Allston's Strike Force Kickstarter project, you can link here.

Feel free to offer feedback, either on this thread on on Kickstarter itself. At this time feedback is only welcome from Hero Games Forum members. Please do not post links on Facebook or the like for others to see. This is your time to comment!

Jason Walters, High Rock Press/Hero Games

I'm confused. Hero Designer character packs are an add-on, but Hero Labs character packs are included with each level from Luster on up? But they're an add-on, too?

What am I missing?

Good point GM Joe and Scott. We need to clear up our language on that.

Some Add-On's and Stretch Goals a backer gets automatically past certain levels. That's what we *meant* so say. We'll clear that up! 

Jason

That's great news.

Is there going to be a Hero System/Champions Version of Strike Force? Because from the reward levels you wouldn't think so (ie you don't mention Hero/Champions in the rewards at all).  Please make it VERY clear that this is a Champions Supplement. Also, clear up the Hero Lab files issue (are they an addon or are they included like the reward text implies they are.

Tasha :D

PS Love the Cover with the new logo/title :D

PPS Thanks for including the Original PDF of Strike Force as an addon, you guys rock.

It looks good, and I'm definitely planning on backing the project!  One suggestion which occurs to me would be that while the exact details of whatever agreement was made between the design team and the Allston Estate are rightfully nobody else's business, if the Allston Estate will be receiving a percentage of sales or some other benefit from the Kickstarter, a general mention of such in the KS project might serve as an extra motivator for potential backers.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to this being kicked off and becoming a smashing success! :rockon:

Thank you all. A few notes:

1) Under the About This Project section we do say "Aaron Allston's Strike Force presents the characters and villains of the setting in the Hero System, but we also have packages available to present these heroes and enemies in other rulesets such as Mutants and Masterminds, ICONS, and Savage Worlds." To be honest, though this is definitely a Hero System product, the information in it is rather ecumenical outside of the character sheets. So we've chosen to present it that way. But we'll try to be more clear. 

2) Under Kickstarter charity rules I don't believe we *can* say that a portion of the proceeds is going to Aaron's family. They are of course - and we would like to say so - but we can't say so on the page.

Jason

2) Under Kickstarter charity rules I don't believe we *can* say that a portion of the proceeds is going to Aaron's family. They are of course - and we would like to say so - but we can't say so on the page.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that restriction - thanks for pointing that out!  Still, I'm glad to hear (not that I really thought otherwise) that the Allston family will ultimately benefit from this endeavor.

I joined the boards just to comment on this.

First: the good!

1) Archives. Even though I know I will never use as much as 10% of it, I still want to see it. Thank you for making it available.

2) Original pdf. Even though I know I will probably never sit down to read it (I still prefer a print book), if I could already legally own it, I would. Again, thank you for making it available.

Next: the neutral.

3) Shipping. When one of the stretch goals is printing the book in hardback rather than softback, you need to make sure you've accounted for the extra costs of shipping a hardback. This will be especially relevant to any overseas backers.

Finally, the bad.

4) Buy-in.The first backer stage is $25, for which you get the pdf. That's a pretty expensive first stage. $25 for the pdf alone is $5 more than the pdf price of Champions Complete. While I won't deny it's worth the price, you're asking for a significant investment from every backer (essentially, you're asking each backer to buy the book). Would a cheaper first stage not be a better idea? Something that allows people to contribute to funding the project without making a full investment?

I want to see every Hero supplement that is a Kickstarter campaign succeed so I hope you will take my comments with that in mind.

I am moderately interested in this Kickstarter.  I don't have any previous experience with the Strike Force product.  I am interested but I am not dying to get my hands on this material.  I would be willing to back the product if I have to say the backer levels feel steep to me.  A direct comparison for me is "the Book of the Empress".  I was willing to spend $25 for a PDF + HD files.  Guess what I am about 90% sure I will never use the material.  But I like supporting Hero.

Other Kickstarter projects which deliver manufactured goods are in those price ranges.  For instance some items I have backed:

So, if I just wanted all the electronic stuff with nothing physical, it would cost $65?  That seems a bit steep, considering the actual project (the Strike Force book in PDF) is only $25 of that.  Plus, there aren't even stretch goals at this level.

($25 ShadowWalker level for PDF, +$20 for archives, +$5 for HeroDesigner character pack, +$5 for Hero Lab character pack, $10 for the original Strike Force in PDF)

Any chance we could have a Digital Deluxe Tier for $50 (PDF plus all electronic add-ons), and a Digital Deluxe + Printed Book Tier for $75, for those who want the material without needing a signed and numbered copy?

I agree with others that the reward levels seem steeper than comparable Kickstarter campaigns.

I'm also not terribly fond of the $1000 and $5000 level rewards which involve polluting the Strike Force Universe with a character that was not part of it. 

After listening to your suggestions, we've made some changes to the draft. You can see them here.

We've made (or not made) the following changes:

1. We've lowered the ShadowWalker level down to $20.

2. We've added a $50 "Man Mountain Thunder" digital level that includes the PDF, the archives, both character packs, and the 1988 Strike Force PDF. It's a $10 savings over buying them all individually.

3. We didn't add a "digital deluxe" plus book level. Instead, we modified the Lightrune Level into that. At the $100 level you get all digital products, a signed and numbered book, and the physical anthology if we unlock it. We also added the following:

A. Michael will write a 4-page special Strike Force adventure based on one of Aaron's ideas (2,000 words).
B. All Lightrune backers will get the Strike Force Sketchbook: a PDF of artwork sketched by Denis Loubet over the years.
C. Michael will conduct a one-hour Character creation workshop over Skype that will be available to backers.

- Jason

After listening to your suggestions, we've made some changes to the draft. You can see them here.

We've made (or not made) the following changes:

1. We've lowered the ShadowWalker level down to $20.

2. We've added a $50 "Man Mountain Thunder" digital level that includes the PDF, the archives, both character packs, and the 1988 Strike Force PDF. It's a $10 savings over buying them all individually.

3. We didn't add a "digital deluxe" plus book level. Instead, we modified the Lightrune Level into that. At the $100 level you get all digital products, a signed and numbered book, and the physical anthology if we unlock it. We also added the following:

A. Michael will write a 4-page special Strike Force adventure based on one of Aaron's ideas (2,000 words).

B. All Lightrune backers will get the Strike Force Sketchbook: a PDF of artwork sketched by Denis Loubet over the years.

C. Michael will conduct a one-hour Character creation workshop over Skype that will be available to backers.

- Jason

Totally Perfect. I know that I will be doing the $100 level!

2. We've added a $50 "Man Mountain Thunder" digital level that includes the PDF, the archives, both character packs, and the 1988 Strike Force PDF. It's a $10 savings over buying them all individually.[/size]

I am sure I would go for this level.

3. We didn't add a "digital deluxe" plus book level. Instead, we modified the Lightrune Level into that. At the $100 level you get all digital products, a signed and numbered book, and the physical anthology if we unlock it. We also added the following:[/size]

I might consider this option.

Excellent choices.