Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikelaff

Considering a HERO system stretch goal for Against the Axis

Would you back a HERO version of Against the Axis?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back a HERO version of Against the Axis?

• Yes
    • No

Against the Axis is a WW2 Superhero supplement written by RPG legend Steve Perrin. It's up on Kickstarter now.

You can check out bits of the manuscript and extensive art previews on the facebook page.

We're considering adding some new stretch goals - and we're wondering if there would be interest for a HERO System conversion of this book.

We've had good luck in the past with HERO System conversions with the Extreme Earth book - so this seemed worth investigating.

Please weigh in if you'd be interested.

Yes, I'd be interested.

I've learned not to back projects that don't include Hero. I don't play the other systems, and don't care to support them. Vague, and generally empty, promises to consider adding Hero if a project is funded haven't played out in the past. So, following my general rule, when I looked at Axis and didn't see Hero, I moved on.

It was the same with Extreme Earth. It didn't include Hero. I inquired if it was an option (early on) and was told it wasn't in the plans, so I skipped it. When it did get added at a later date, I backed it.

Back to Axis. As a stretch goal to add Hero, I would certainly consider backing the project. Looking at the current goals again, I'll express some doubt about getting to a level to do so (past Supers and Savage Worlds). But, miracles can happen, and I'll back a Hero version.

Sorry, I wouldn't be interested in that as a stretch goal. I could easily end up with something of no use to me that way.

A couple of options once a stretch goal is documented:

1. Back immediately, hoping to get them to the goal earlier. If they don't reach the stretch goal by the end, cancel your pledge.

2. Wait until the end to pledge when they're close to meeting the stretch goal. If they don't, cancel your pledge. This has the disadvantage that if everyone does that, there won't be enough movement to get close to the stretch goal to get everyone to pledge towards it.

In either case, if you do your due diligence to cancel your pledge, you won't get something you don't want if they don't reach the goal you're interested in.

A couple of options once a stretch goal is documented:

1. Back immediately, hoping to get them to the goal earlier. If they don't reach the stretch goal by the end, cancel your pledge.

2. Wait until the end to pledge when they're close to meeting the stretch goal. If they don't, cancel your pledge. This has the disadvantage that if everyone does that, there won't be enough movement to get close to the stretch goal to get everyone to pledge towards it.

In either case, if you do your due diligence to cancel your pledge, you won't get something you don't want if they don't reach the goal you're interested in.

Too much work for me. I'm a lazy consumer and expect people to offer value for my money and/or time. :)

As I do not use any other system othner than the Hero System, it makes no sense to me to do so. I like what I see in the kickstarter video.  If this project involved stats for the Hero System, even as a stretch goal, I would back it, and am sure other Hero players would also. 

As I do not use any other system othner than the Hero System, it makes no sense to me to do so. I like what I see in the kickstarter video.  If this project involved stats for the Hero System, even as a stretch goal, I would back it, and am sure other Hero players would also. 

But we didn't show it in the voting. Only 4 votes total, and 1 of those was a "no." Even with the slowdown here, that vote total seems a little low.

I can only speak for myself...and sometimes I may sound blunt, but it's always how I feel and truthful, so please take no offense!  

The timings bad, especially with the "Strike Force" kickstarter. I myself am on an extremely limited budget due to illness in the past couple years. I had to place what money I had into what I really wanted and did. I expect some others could be feeling a similar pinch in the area of funds. I was one of the 4 votes, and gave an honest answer. 

I wish this project success, mainly because it's a superhero game book. It's also featuring a period that greatly interest me, two pluses.

However it isn't supporting my chosen game system at the moment, therefore my complete interest isn't there in making a pledge for something I would have to spend hours converting to hero. 

The question asked was would you be willing to support this if it supported hero. Not sure when it started, but there are only 12 days left and it hasn't even reached the half way point of being funded nevermind any stretch goals. 

The time for that company to consider asking if anyone here would  back it if it supported hero should have come before they started the kickstarter, not when it's in jeapordy of not being funded. Sorry, but that's the way I see it. Maybe others do also, maybe they don't, either way that could be a reason why there was a poor show in the voting, as people saw how little time was left and figured "why bother". 

If they miraculously decided to make hero stats a stretch goal in the next day or so, chances are good that I'd dig up $20 to throw on it, but I do believe they are a little to late with the "Hero SYstem" conversion thought to make any difference at this point.

Yes, I'd be interested.

I've learned not to back projects that don't include Hero. I don't play the other systems, and don't care to support them. Vague, and generally empty, promises to consider adding Hero if a project is funded haven't played out in the past. So, following my general rule, when I looked at Axis and didn't see Hero, I moved on.

It was the same with Extreme Earth. It didn't include Hero. I inquired if it was an option (early on) and was told it wasn't in the plans, so I skipped it. When it did get added at a later date, I backed it.

Back to Axis. As a stretch goal to add Hero, I would certainly consider backing the project. Looking at the current goals again, I'll express some doubt about getting to a level to do so (past Supers and Savage Worlds). But, miracles can happen, and I'll back a Hero version.

I can only speak for myself...and sometimes I may sound blunt, but it's always how I feel and truthful, so please take no offense!  

The timings bad, especially with the "Strike Force" kickstarter. I myself am on an extremely limited budget due to illness in the past couple years. I had to place what money I had into what I really wanted and did. I expect some others could be feeling a similar pinch in the area of funds. I was one of the 4 votes, and gave an honest answer. 
I wish this project success, mainly because it's a superhero game book. It's also featuring a period that greatly interest me, two pluses.

However it isn't supporting my chosen game system at the moment, therefore my complete interest isn't there in making a pledge for something I would have to spend hours converting to hero. 

The question asked was would you be willing to support this if it supported hero. Not sure when it started, but there are only 12 days left and it hasn't even reached the half way point of being funded nevermind any stretch goals. 
The time for that company to consider asking if anyone here would  back it if it supported hero should have come before they started the kickstarter, not when it's in jeapordy of not being funded. Sorry, but that's the way I see it. Maybe others do also, maybe they don't, either way that could be a reason why there was a poor show in the voting, as people saw how little time was left and figured "why bother". 

If they miraculously decided to make hero stats a stretch goal in the next day or so, chances are good that I'd dig up $20 to throw on it, but I do believe they are a little to late with the "Hero SYstem" conversion thought to make any difference at this point.

See my original reply.I agree about supporting Hero, but we also didn't bother to show any real interest.

You are right Scott, we as a community did not. However, this original thread started on the 4th of Februrary, today is the 9th, there's only 12 days left for it to be funded.  I never heard about this project untill this thread was posted, as well as others may not have also.  I do not know the individual who started this thread or if they are involved with it. I do know the name Steve Perrin, who has done work on various hero books in the past, and am sure has done a fine job on this project.

My point is that had they thought about hero stats as a stretch goal before they had started, they may have gotten more response and pledges from the people of the hero system community. Instead, this thread appeared with 16 days left of a project that looks good but probably will not get its funding, with the hail mary of ... "maybe we'll do a hero stretch goal".

As much as I like the idea of this projected book, how can I, or other hero players pledge money for a product that (to me anyways) is gasping for air and saying maybe we'll consider hero players if they'll save our skins!  This is why I personally believe this community showed the lack of interest. 

I can't be alone in the way I'm seeing this. Possibly I am!  Anyway, I do respect what you're saying, as you're original post and mine say the same thing in so many words really!  Guess I'm just not affraid to step out of the box in these days of being politically correct and say it as I see it.  

Didn't see this. I did see the KS and decided to not back it because they didn't include Hero System support. Also, Feb seems to be the month when EVERY fracking person is releasing RPG products on Kickstarter. Perhaps they should rethink this KS and submit it in April when people have recovered from February KS season.

PS you should have put the poll in the Champions section where the majority of the board looks and posts. I'll be that most of the community has been oblivious to this.

Didn't see this. I did see the KS and decided to not back it because they didn't include Hero System support. Also, Feb seems to be the month when EVERY fracking person is releasing RPG products on Kickstarter. Perhaps they should rethink this KS and submit it in April when people have recovered from February KS season.

PS you should have put the poll in the Champions section where the majority of the board looks and posts. I'll be that most of the community has been oblivious to this.

well - yeah - but I try to respect the forum's rules and not spam promotional into sub-forums where it might not be appreciated

We did a similar strategy with Extreme Earth and it worked pretty well (for HERO System and several others)

We offered them as stretch goals after the initial launch and we received a positive response and it worked out ok.

But - different stroke for different strokes. Maybe that project had legs this one doesn't. Our maybe the fanbase just has KS fatigue.

In any case -rest assured that your emphatic "no" has been definitely been heard.

We did a similar strategy with Extreme Earth and it worked pretty well (for HERO System and several others)

We offered them as stretch goals after the initial launch and we received a positive response and it worked out ok.

But - different stroke for different strokes. Maybe that project had legs this one doesn't. Our maybe the fanbase just has KS fatigue.

In any case -rest assured that your emphatic "no" has been definitely been heard.

It never fails, I try and be honest and polite and it still it upsets someone.  My apoligies!

It never fails, I try and be honest and polite and it still it upsets someone.  My apoligies!

Huh? Not sure I understand you.

And -no - I'm not upset. You expressed your thoughts. I am simply saying I heard everything you were saying and I will take your sentiments into account.

I presume that's why you responded to the thread. I am just saying: "Ok. I heard you. Your vote has been counted."

I guess I should be more diplomatic next time.

Anyway- as it turns out - we have been getting some requests from other channels as well for a HERO System conversion,. So - this might be happening in any case. We're currently pricing it out.

And -no - I'm not upset. You expressed your thoughts. I am simply saying I heard everything you were saying and I will take your sentiments into account.

My mistake then, by the way I read what you'd said, I thought you were upset. Glad you're not. BTW, my vote wasn't the no vote!  Throw them hero stats in as a stretch goal and I'll dig up some cash, sound like a deal?

Well alright!!  This project now has Hero Stats as a stretch goal of $4000.  They put their money where their mouth was, so I made a pledge of $20. Wish it could of been more but I will have to eat next month at some point!  Thank you for doing this for us herophiles!

unfortunately - we didn't make our goal.

We will evaluate our strategy and make a plan for how to bring this book to light at some point in the future. I will update this forum when we figure things out.

Thanks to everyone who supported us.