Whats your team?

Nothere

As a Gm you get a bunch of players together and ask them to make the heroes that will eventually form your superteam. And while you can set down guidelines you cant really control what the players come up with. But what if you could? What would your ideal team to run be?

Mine would break down like so,

The brick

The genius- wither with powered armor or just an array of gadgets.

The Athelete- Probably either a martial artist or animal themed hero

The energy projector- Ability to fly prefered.

And the oddball- Someone with strange out there powers. I'm going to place mentalists in this category which some will no doubt disagree with. But the rubber man, controler of shadows and summoners would fit in here.

A brick. You gotta have at least one brick.

Power armour. I just like power armour. It's so shiny. It's a focus too and thus very point friendly!

Martial Artist with lots of tricks (utility belt of special ninja training or whatever). Someone who can do the clever stuff like sleuthing and sneaking.

Spiderman. What? I'm a fan. :-)

My Champions default campaign setting is the city the players live in, our world mashed up with Marvel + Champions universe.

I then tell them to come up with characters that fit the local place and culture.  They should have a connection to the place.  I encourage buying some non-combat skills.  Current group has the following characters:

• Wonder Woman homage - she is actually from the Dakota tribe.  Basically a brick with some fun tricks like her lasso.
  • Gigavolt - 'radiation accident' while working for Xcel Energy (they are actually one of his hunteds).  Energy projector with a unique teleporting ability
  • Azerath - mentalist/telekentic/psychologist
  • Cross between Groot and Poison Ivy - plus she can animate trees
  • Semi-brick with amazing healing + unique energy projector - He was found frozen solid in ice when they were redoing the I-35 bridge in MN.  He is at least 20k years old.
  • An angel - flyer, semi-brick, hand-to-hand with a flaming sword

Interestingly that is how our team (Zenith 3) was created (although it has changed drastically over time). One energy projector ("St Barbara"), a martial artist  (A samurai named "Dragon's Claw"), a Brick (in an armoured suit named "Knight"), a magician ("Ravenscroft"), and a gadgeteer ("Widget"). Of the original team members only my character "St Barbara" has survived with players leaving and characters changing over time.

Modern Day Team

Liberty - Team Leader Brick with a Magic Torch that lets her control minds, put people to sleep, or energy blast with light, a magic shield for defense, and magic sandals at allow her to fly.  Teamwork, Tactics, Persuasion, and Deduction Skills.  Superpatriot, Protective of Innocents, and Must Live up to her Superheroine Mother's legacy.  Cute Blonde.

Aurora - Brick with Flight, FTL Travel, Teleport, and N-Ray Sight.  A human raised on a lost human interstellar colony, has come to Earth with a Need to Prove Herself, Protective of Innocents, and a mild Fear of Spiders.  Tall raven haired beauty with green eyes and a British Accent in her superhero ID.

Nemesis - Weapons Master and Surveillance Expert.  Granddaughter of a superheroine with Martial Arts, Computer Skills, Bugging, and Criminology.  Obsessed with Crime Fighting, Protective of Innocents and Must Live up to her Grandmother's Legacy.  Attractive Redhead.

Stalwart - Brick with VSFX EB (Heat Vision and Cold Breath), Flight and Enhanced Senses.  Billionaire son of a former Superhero who was President of the United States.  In Love With Liberty, Overconfidence, and Protective of Innocents.  Handsome well built man.

Juno - Mystic Mentalist Brick with Lightning EB, Telepathy, and Flight.  The actual Immortal Queen of the Roman Pantheon came to America during the Revolution and has been a superheroine since World War Two (original code name Lady Lightning).   Overconfidence, Noblesse Oblige, and Superpatriot.  Tall reddish brown woman with green eyes.  

Ares - Powered Armor Brick Hero with Energy Blast, Fight, and 360 Degree Radar.  Son of a Crime Fighter who later served as President.  Must Live up to family reputation, superpatriot, protective of innocents.  Veteran superhero who came out of retirement to join Liberty's team because of a secret relationship with her.  

Well, my "ideal team" would be one full of interesting PCs the players love and are invested in and that have lots of plot hooks built into them. I don't really care much about the mix of power sets. My all-time #1 least-favorite RPG convention is the notion that you must have a "properly-balanced adventuring party," which IMO has done more to stifle creativity in RPGs than anything I can think of.

[/RANT]

But ok, I'll play. :) Here's the superteam I use for convention & demo games, the Mile-High Club. ("Denver's premiere superteam...okay, Denver's only superteam...") they're balanced mainly to show off different aspects of the system:

• Cutting Edge: martial artist & champion knife-thrower with trick knives; clean-cut good guy and straight man; dating Magnetica.
  • Magnetica: flying energy projector who controls magnetism; mutant rights activist; extroverted bordering on bubbly; dating Cutting Edge (complicated by her Public ID and his Secret ID).
  • Force Majeure: flying telekinetic brick; not actually French, but speaks in a bad French accent in Hero ID; designated jokester.
  • Illuminatus: master of mysticism & sorcery; versatile magician; takes everything WAY seriously; clueless about mainstream culture.
  • Iron Maiden: powersuited brick; brilliant inventor & gadgeteer; with skates on the suit she plays roller derby at 60 MPH and 300kg!
  • Supersonic: flying sonic energy projector; blue-skinned alien visitor to Earth; blind, but has "Daredevil senses."
  • Pebbles: metamorph made of living gravel (think Sandman but less granular ha ha); reformed villain and Bad Girl; being stalked by her abusive ex Bam Bam.

Avenging Angels (1940s team operating in Los Angeles)

Nighthawk - Team Leader and founder,  Weapons Master Tactician..  Former Navy Pilot and Aviation Company President.

Raven - Weapons Master and Investigator.  Medical Doctor and Criminologist.  Twin sister of Nighthawk

Miss Liberty - Flying Mystic Brick,  Police Woman.

Nightingale - Weapons Master.  Former Nurse and Currently a Nightclub Owner.  Nighthawk's ex-wife.

Ultragirl - Flying Energy Projector Brick.  Millionaire Heiress turned FBI Agent.

Condor - Weapons Master.  Police Detective.

Masquerade - Shapeshifter Brick.  Movie Star.  Twin Sister of Nighthawk late wife.

Champion - Flying Brick.  District Attorney.

Lioness - Weapons Master.  Wealthy Mystery Writer and Spy.

Lady Justice - Weapons Master.  Newspaper Reporter.  Cousin of Lioness.

American Eagle - Flying Weapons Master.  U.S. Army Air Force Officer.  Brother of Lady Justice.

Warhawk - Flying Weapons Master.  U.S. Army Air Force Officer.

Starlet - Flying Energy Projector Brick.  Movie Star.  

Black Rose - Weapons Master.  Wealthy Rancher 

Well, my "ideal team" would be one full of interesting PCs the players love and are invested in and that have lots of plot hooks built into them. I don't really care much about the mix of power sets. My all-time #1 least-favorite RPG convention is the notion that you must have a "properly-balanced adventuring party," which IMO has done more to stifle creativity in RPGs than anything I can think of.

[/RANT]

But ok, I'll play. :) Here's the superteam I use for convention & demo games, the Mile-High Club. ("Denver's premiere superteam...okay, Denver's only superteam...") they're balanced mainly to show off different aspects of the system:

• Cutting Edge: martial artist & champion knife-thrower with trick knives; clean-cut good guy and straight man; dating Magnetica.
  • Magnetica: flying energy projector who controls magnetism; mutant rights activist; extroverted bordering on bubbly; dating Cutting Edge (complicated by her Public ID and his Secret ID).
  • Force Majeure: flying telekinetic brick; not actually French, but speaks in a bad French accent in Hero ID; designated jokester.
  • Illuminatus: master of mysticism & sorcery; versatile magician; takes everything WAY seriously; clueless about mainstream culture.
  • Iron Maiden: powersuited brick; brilliant inventor & gadgeteer; with skates on the suit she plays roller derby at 60 MPH and 300kg!
  • Supersonic: flying sonic energy projector; blue-skinned alien visitor to Earth; blind, but has "Daredevil senses."
  • Pebbles: metamorph made of living gravel (think Sandman but less granular ha ha); reformed villain and Bad Girl; being stalked by her abusive ex Bam Bam.

pebbles ? Bam Bam " ?  me i'd make a team of  martal artists

I'd have one of each of the early Golden Age food groups, plus a teen sidekick.

So that would be:

1. Wizard (Mandrake/Zatara/Zatanna type). Flexible power set, leads the team in mystic adventures.

2. Masked Mystery Man (Phantom/Batman/Wildcat type). Street skills, vehicle, gadgets. Leads in street level adventures. (But see below).

3. Sidekick of the above (Robin/Bucky type - but could be a Star Spangled Kid type, and perhaps a genius gadgeteer).

4. The true Super (Superman/Captain Marvel/Wonder Woman type). Actually probably young and female - Supergirl or Mary Marvel style. Team powerhouse.

Not all that powerful, but flexible.

I'd have one of each of the early Golden Age food groups, plus a teen sidekick.

So that would be:

1. Wizard (Mandrake/Zatara/Zatanna type). Flexible power set, leads the team in mystic adventures.

2. Masked Mystery Man (Phantom/Batman/Wildcat type). Street skills, vehicle, gadgets. Leads in street level adventures. (But see below).

3. Sidekick of the above (Robin/Bucky type - but could be a Star Spangled Kid type, and perhaps a genius gadgeteer).

4. The true Super (Superman/Captain Marvel/Wonder Woman type). Actually probably young and female - Supergirl or Mary Marvel style. Team powerhouse.

Not all that powerful, but flexible.

And now I'm designing them - as 2/3e characters.

When I GM I run in Boston, and the local Team Supreme is the BHL - The Boston Hero's League!  Line up as follows:

Quasar - Flying Energy Projector, team leader and Silver Age throwback.  He maintains good relations for the team with the Mayor, the Chief of Police, and Primus

The Whammer - Pure Brick, not too bright, heart of gold, and exactly ZERO inches of "back down" in him.  "Don't start me up, boy, 'cause I only do ONE THING."

Mind Maiden - Powerful mentalist, and highly unstable emotionally.  She is the only member of the team with known villain kills.  That was "kills," plural.  There are, in fate, several arrest warrants out for Mind Maiden and it is taking all of Quasar's political connections to keep her to of jail. This is not in keeping with Quasar's normal "squeaky clean" public image.

Shadowhunter - Stealthy martial artist with tricky gadgets.  "Some criminals think they are above the law, but no one is above the famous fists of the Shadowhunter."  His tactics keep him and Quasar at loggerheads.  

The Archer - Trick arrows, coolness, and attitude.  The ladies love him, and he loves as many of the ladies as he can.  Total PR nightmare.

Mystica - A reserve team member, she is valued primarily for her various utility powers.  UNLESS a mystical threat is present, at which point she will abandon all team work, strategy and tactics to focus single mindedly on the mystical threat because "I'm the only one who can!"

Shadowhunter is an on again, off again team member.   Mind Maiden usually does not reply to trouble calls, perfecting to remain at team headquarters where she is the only full time member in residence.