Champions Begins - the GM Starter pack

Christopher R Taylor

OK over in the thread "Does Champions need an intro campaign book" everyone agreed that having a basic stripped down super simple campaign and starting characters to help new players and GMs get rolling would be a terrific idea.

However, we also agreed that this would have to be super cheap or free to be useful to the game and the gaming community.

The principle idea is to have a basic beginner adventure series with basic beginner characters and a campaign structure that GMs can use to introduce and teach Champions to players.  This adventure would help start up a campaign, and act as a tutorial not only for the players, but the GM.

Its main features would include:

• A set of basic characters with stripped down sheets (using faux Avengers would be a good start)
  • An introductory adventure to pull the PCs together into a group and make them a team, with several sessions worth of play following a story arc
  • Notes on how to spend xps for each character
  • Tips on GMing, with each adventure highlighting a different aspect to learn and use
  • A step by step gradual introduction of each aspect of Champions rules for the players to learn, adding complexity each adventure like a tutorial
  • Maps, art, and the rest usually needed.

So I'm issuing a challenge and a request here: who wants to help make this happen?  Who is willing to work without pay and in a timely fashion to help generate this product so it can be made available for free as a pdf to GMs (and for a modest cost in print on demand -- or free if Hero is willing to eat the cost)?

We'll need

• artists
  • editors
  • writers
  • designers
  • proofers
  • and most of all: a main publisher who will coordinate and oversee all this with a single vision and whip cracking to get it all together

I can offer character building design, some art, help with layouts and publishing and of course writing.

What can you do?  To help our favorite hobby and benefit the Champions/Hero Games name?

Here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is.

• artists  
  • editors
  • writers
  • designers
  • proofers
  • and most of all: a main publisher who will coordinate and oversee all this with a single vision and whip cracking to get it all together

I'm no artist, can write and edit if needed, could design characters if needed, not sure what a proofer does (so I'd probably do no good there) and have no publishing experience.

I am however, out of work since 2012, love the Hero System, Champions, and supers in general. And am willing to work for free!  So give me something to do on this project! (please, I'm bored and begging you!)   :lol:

I can offer a villain team and an introductory adventure arc (PDF attached).  Elsewhere I had posted the Corporate Raiders (from the Villain Theme Team thread), along with a short adventure arc, which I was putting together for a larger project that has pretty much fallen by the wayside.  It is, unfortunately, sans character artwork, though I've left space to include some.  The idea had originally been presented to the original posters on the VTT thread to be made available for free download, so I don't think we'd have much trouble getting those original posters to agree to move those characters into this project.

I also have writing, proofreading, and editing experience, as well as putting things together into a PDF.  (Alas, no art skills.)  I don't want to take on the coordinator role (been there, done that, not enough time available to do it again), but am willing to help in any area needed.

T and S 003 Corporate Raiders.pdf

Well it seems that art is at a premium and since one of my biggest criticisms of the third party work being released for The Hero System is the lack of cohesive art, I will offer to use Heromachine to draw the characters.  Jeff Hebert, the designer of Heromachine has proven very amenable to allowing its use for published material as long as he gets credit.  Of course he will still need to give his blessing.

I think this is a worthwhile project and will also be happy to assist in the design of the characters.  Are you thinking of using direct homages of the Avengers (i.e.  Thunder God, Patriot, Steel Defender, Bowman...etc.)?  It may be easier to do simple write-ups of the basic archetypes (Brick, Blaster, Martial Artist, Mentalist, Speedster) and staying away from complex builds using extensive Multipower (Power Tricks type) or VPP builds.  I honestly think that the Champions are a perfect example of this.

I would also highly suggest a detailed example combat which highlights many of the Combat Maneuvers and Turn progression.  If you use the included characters it will give prospective GMs and Players a point of reference and hopefully make things even easier.

Let me know how I can help,

The theory behind doing Avengers knockoffs is that it is an easy and recognizable, popular hook to get new players interested.  You can make your own guy, but here's  a starter you already know and understand to learn the rules with.

I would want to use a simplified character sheet for the PCs like the one I built, and a full sheet for the GM so he knows all the ins and outs.  That way the PCs get only what they absolutely need to start out with, and can learn more session by session.

I can write, proof read and edit/sub-edit.

I have a fair bit of time on my hands.

While I like the idea of Avengers knockoffs, I can see issues with some of them. Thor, in particular, would be hard to make generic enough. "Anyone" can build power armour, or get exposed to radiation, but hammer wielding storm gods aren't that common, and I can't think of any hammer wielding storm goddesses at all.

Iron Man's armour is interesting, since it brings in the focus rules and can potentially make him more powerful than some of the others. Everyone will need to learn how focuses work eventually, though. If it wasn't for that it would be worth considering using OIAID instead.

IN terms of character design I'm thinking fairly cheap/low point to start with, but each adventure gives big chunks of powers.  That way you can have really simple stripped down characters, and then build them up quickly.

My and massey's idea of experience is to give the players blocs of powers to choose from, stuff that fits the character.

Take the "Vulcan" idea with a strong tough guy that has a hammer, maybe flame blast, and combat with the hammer or his fists.

Then with experience you can start to add more complex ideas, like "fix item" (cosmetic or minor transform: broke to fixed), create item (transform again) for simple concepts a blacksmith could make, flame blast from any fire source, etc.

The idea is to start bone simple, then add complex bits of powers in more expensive blocks but adding each block the player interacts with the GM on how it works and what it means, rather than dumping it all on them at once with a character.  By starting cheap you can give big important chunks of character abilities all at once instead of little pieces that build up.

That way after a few adventures, the characters reach full Champions power level, but feels like a comic book/TV show/tutorial where powers are revealed until the PC is fully capable.

Ideally, the power blocks could be from a picklist, so that the GM and player can sit down: which would you rather have, the flame blast, the fix-it power, or the make things power?  Thus giving the player input over how the character develops but in a simple controlled way that won't intimidate new players.

This thread kind of got me inspired.  I threw a few things together, including basic writeups for people.  Though I'm very fond of the 4th edition reference to the character "Norse Storm Hammer God", I'm thinking of just calling him "The Viking".  Add in such notables as Captain Avenger, Eagle Eye, Cricket, the Red Wizard, and the Creature, and our generic intro team (the Liberators) is ready to go.  I'm still searching for better names than the Metal Millionaire and Spymaster.

I think getting too original with these characters misses the point.  They're supposed to be clear ripoffs/homages.  Making them full fledged characters in their own right should be the job of the players and the GM.  They are supposed to serve as examples for how to play the game, and the more original you get, the further you are from a subject they already understand.

I was thinking you start each guy with a basic, easy to understand character sheet.  Nothing really complicated.  Each one has his or her own special thing for the player to learn, a rules concept that people might have a hard time wrapping their heads around.  There'll be a note explaining how their power works and why.  For example, let's say we build our Iron Man clone with OIHID.  There'll be a small paragraph at the bottom of his sheet.

"The Metal Millionaire's powers are built with the limitation, Only In Heroic Identity.  It is built this way, instead of using a Focus as many power suits are, because the Metal Millionaire always seems to have a spare suit nearby.  It could be contained in his briefcase, in the trunk of his car, in a box carried by a beautiful arm-candy employee, etc.  Even when he's at the beach, he is never more than a full phase action away from having a remote-controlled suit fly to his aid and assemble itself around him."

The idea is not to just teach the rules, but to help players and GMs understand some of the overall concepts of the game, like how special effects work, or how a power can be built different ways.

There should also be a very stripped-down character sheet for new players.  Instead of having lots of technical detail on it, it should be written in a concise, simple, easy to use format.  So let's say it's something like this (definite work in progress):

Captain Avenger

Defense: 20 (subtract this number from all damage you take)

Constitution: 25 (if a hit deals more damage than this, after defense, you lose your next action)

Stun: 50 (if this reaches zero, you are unconscious)

Move and attack:  10 meters

Full move:  20 meters

Attacks (6 actions per round)

Punch:  +10 to hit, 10D6

Kick:  +8 to hit, 12D6

Shield throw:  +10 to hit, 10D6, usable at range (but removes shield bonus until your next action)

Defensive moves

Normal dodging:  +8 to avoid hits (requires no action)

Full dodge:  +13 to avoid hits (uses up your next action)

Block:  +10 opposed to hit roll to block any attack (uses up your next action)

If holding shield, add +2 to all dodges, and +4 to block rolls

Skills:

Athletics 14-

Military skills 13-

Charisma 14-

--

By giving catch-all skill categories, and highly simplifying the character sheet for combat, new players can more quickly pick it up.  Full versions of the character sheet would be included as well.

Well we have to be careful nudging up too close to the rabidly defensive and litigious Disney properties.  So something that people understand is the Avengers but without being so close its worth their time to drag Hero into court over.

The first few sessions of the game, players don't even need to know about limitations or how things are built, just get used to the way combat works and get into the concept of a superhero game.  Then you can start giving them more details and a more complex character sheet.  The sequence and how to do that I think is worth discussing and working out.

There should also be a very stripped-down character sheet for new players.  Instead of having lots of technical detail on it, it should be written in a concise, simple, easy to use format.  So let's say it's something like this (definite work in progress):

Captain Avenger

Defense: 20 (subtract this number from all damage you take)

Constitution: 25 (if a hit deals more damage than this, after defense, you lose your next action)

Stun: 50 (if this reaches zero, you are unconscious)

Move and attack:  10 meters

Full move:  20 meters

Attacks (6 actions per round)

Punch:  +10 to hit, 10D6

Kick:  +8 to hit, 12D6

Shield throw:  +10 to hit, 10D6, usable at range (but removes shield bonus until your next action)

Defensive moves

Normal dodging:  +8 to avoid hits (requires no action)

Full dodge:  +13 to avoid hits (uses up your next action)

Block:  +10 opposed to hit roll to block any attack (uses up your next action)

If holding shield, add +2 to all dodges, and +4 to block rolls

Skills:

Athletics 14-

Military skills 13-

Charisma 14-

--

By giving catch-all skill categories, and highly simplifying the character sheet for combat, new players can more quickly pick it up.  Full versions of the character sheet would be included as well.

Captain Avenger?  Did the estate of John Ritter approve this?

I think we can keep things safe enough from lawsuit.  Companies have been producing knock-off characters for decades now with no problems.  The book could even edge towards the humor genre a bit, and then you're protected by parody.  I like "Madame Soviet" (or Madame Soviette) as our spy.

So let's say you start with a basic sheet, something that could almost fit on an index card.  It just has simple info, like to-hit, damage, and basic skill categories (similar to the old Marvel SAGA stat blocks).  This is a quick reference card, or something like that.  Something the players can look to at the beginning of the game.  Then you've got a full character sheet, at the beginning of the book.  Most of it is going to be gibberish to a new player though.  As the adventures progress, new challenges arise which require the players to use new powers, new maneuvers, new tactics.  In this way, you can ease them into the rules of the game.  You're teaching the players, and the GM, at the same time.

As they gain XP, give them a clear and obvious path for them to spend it.  Captain Avenger can learn to throw his discus.  Viking gains the ability to call forth a blizzard in the middle of summer.  Each character is expected to gain a certain amount of XP over the course of the campaign, and at the end of the book, you've got full writeups for them, with all their options and all their XP spent.  There will also be a few paragraphs as far as why they are built the way they are.

I think we can keep things safe enough from lawsuit.  Companies have been producing knock-off characters for decades now with no problems.  The book could even edge towards the humor genre a bit, and then you're protected by parody.  I like "Madame Soviet" (or Madame Soviette) as our spy.

So let's say you start with a basic sheet, something that could almost fit on an index card.  It just has simple info, like to-hit, damage, and basic skill categories (similar to the old Marvel SAGA stat blocks).  This is a quick reference card, or something like that.  Something the players can look to at the beginning of the game.  Then you've got a full character sheet, at the beginning of the book.  Most of it is going to be gibberish to a new player though.  As the adventures progress, new challenges arise which require the players to use new powers, new maneuvers, new tactics.  In this way, you can ease them into the rules of the game.  You're teaching the players, and the GM, at the same time.

As they gain XP, give them a clear and obvious path for them to spend it.  Captain Avenger can learn to throw his discus.  Viking gains the ability to call forth a blizzard in the middle of summer.  Each character is expected to gain a certain amount of XP over the course of the campaign, and at the end of the book, you've got full writeups for them, with all their options and all their XP spent.  There will also be a few paragraphs as far as why they are built the way they are.

Female Soviet Agents trained in Sexpionage were called "Swallows."

True story.