Champions Begins - the GM Starter pack

Christopher R Taylor

Adding too many characters and you end up with bloat in the book.  It's also tough to balance everybody for the campaign.  If it's designed for a brick, a blaster, a martial artist, and a mentalist, then having the players choose 4 different bow and arrow guys might be a problem.

Just my two-cents here, but there's an old saying ... KISS. The more characters provided, the more problems that can arise for newbies to run into. However, if you provide small combat scenarios that deal with a few character types, where they can learn those types, and then other types in other scenarios, it may be easier to learn how the different character types work as opposed to a multi-part adventure where a player could choose any of 12-15 characters.

Once these scenarios are run through, then maybe include an adventure where they can choose among them. Might be a bit extra work, but I think it would pay off in the long run as it gives theplayers a chance to learn each character type before they get fully into the actual role-playing aspect.

What do you think?

Well that's the problem with just randomly throwing out ideas for something you don't have a structure for, they wont all work together. Let alone in the structure. So before we argue how many sample charecters t put in, lets talk what in general were putting in.

For example are we thinking the book will go. Brief discussion of superhero comics, how it relates to gaming, some roleplaying game specifics, a few ideas about how to set up the campaign, the shared campaign the book will be using, some sample adventures, a longer multipart adventure, and finally sample charecters. A book that follows the structure Christopher laid out? Some other?

I agree; we have to agree on the basic concept of the book to get started.

Which is why I say we have to have a publisher and guiding vision, and that has to be one person's vision.  One voice to guide and shape the final results, not a continual series of meetings.

Well said!

Re: simplified character sheets: Here is an example of the format I use for demo & con games. This is actually for a relatively complex character, and it could be simplified even further for a product like this. And here is an even-more stripped down example. My goal was to make it more text, less spreadsheet. FWIW, YMMV, XYZPDQ, etc.

I can't remember who it was, but they had a Convention game they ran for Champions as an intro, and their sheet is kind of what I based mine on.  Theirs was more jazzy, though; the layout was more interesting.  He posted the Robin character sheet as an example.

Sounds like Teh Bunneh? I've played in several of his Teen Titans games (among other games). I've modified my character sheet based on his, and I think vice versa to some extent.

Well as we haven't decided on who to rally around with regard to book structure, this may be pointless. But hopefully it will provide someone inspiration.

The Mayor ducked behind the podium as the hovercraft prepared to fire its cannon. With a loud Shakoom! the podium splintered into dust. The mayor said a quick prayer as the cannon prepared to fire again. Suddenly a statuesqe blond woman dressed in red white and blue leapt in front of the deadly beam. It's impact on her shield bathing her in an angelic glow as she smiled at him.

"Don't worry you honor. This madman isn't going to hurt anyone."

The beam recoiled from her shield and smashed into the cannon. Before the weapon could fire again it blew up.

From the hovercraft a voice boomed. "That's where your wrong American Spirit. The Mechamaniac has vowed city hall will fall this day And fall it shall. DESTRUCTOIDS ATTACK!"

The massive man smashed through the brick wall carrying the jewelry store's safe on his shoulder. When he noticed the security guard aiming a gun at him, the man laughed.

"You think that pop gun is gonna stop me little man?" He said.

Suddenly something yanked the safe from his grasp. He looked up to see the safe being carried away by a recoiling spring to a man dressed in yellow and orange clinging  to the side of the building.

"Sorry Blunderhead, but I'm going to have to confinscate this for you being too loud, and too smelly."

"That's Stonehead. And if you don't give e back that safe Mainspring I'll show you just how hard my stone fists are."

"Uh uh. Finders keepers losers weepers. Man you must use a lot of hankies."

In the darkened wharehouse the little girl cried as she tried to back farther away from the man approaching her, but there was no where else to go. THe man smiled, but it was a mean cruel smile. Then he pulled out the knife.

"Mommy and daddy paid the fine, but I won't relent the dolly is mine."

Suddenly a deep voice that came from everywhere and nowhere said,

"Actually Cutter in an hour she'll be home safe, and you'll be in a hospitial."

The little girl was surprised to see the bad man suddenly look afraid.

"No! You couldn't have found me Nighthunter, and you can't take my dolly away."

Suddenly as if spawned by the shadows a figure in deep purple and red appeared and punched the bad man in the jaw.

In a cold voice the figure said. "Yes I can."

Superheroes larger than life. We've all wondered what sort of powers we would have. Imagined how it would feel to save the world. And thanks to the Hero system we can. However there is a problem. With the versatility of the Heroes system, and the scope and breath of comics it can be a bit daunting on how to begin. Well that's where this book comes in. Instead of new gms and players spending hours trying to figure out how to start we've made it easy.

We start by discussing various types of campains and how to implement them. From lowpowered heroes dealing with street crime to near gods who face world and even other dimensional threats. Then we introduce you to Harton City or at least parts of it. With various  sample locations with maps of interesting places like the Black and White club a fancy nightclub with a sinister secret and the Harton city arena where people gather for concerts, races, and alien invasions. These locations can be used as part of a whole or taken and dropped wherever you happen to decide to set your campaign. Then there are the minisenarios. A group of senarios from short to long that can be thrown in to add spice to a campian, an amusing interude, or if you feel up to it combined to make an adventure. There are also four miniadventures which are designed to be played together but can be used sepratly. Finally there are several sample characters both hero and villain so you can dive right in. So what are you waiting for? Adventure is calling you.

Well as we haven't decided on who to rally around with regard to book structure, this may be pointless. But hopefully it will provide someone inspiration.

The Mayor ducked behind the podium as the hovercraft prepared to fire its cannon. With a loud Shakoom! the podium splintered into dust. The mayor said a quick prayer as the cannon prepared to fire again. Suddenly a statuesqe blond woman dressed in red white and blue leapt in front of the deadly beam. It's impact on her shield bathing her in an angelic glow as she smiled at him.

"Don't worry you honor. This madman isn't going to hurt anyone."

The beam recoiled from her shield and smashed into the cannon. Before the weapon could fire again it blew up.

From the hovercraft a voice boomed. "That's where your wrong American Spirit. The Mechamaniac has vowed city hall will fall this day And fall it shall. DESTRUCTOIDS ATTACK!"

The massive man smashed through the brick wall carrying the jewelry store's safe on his shoulder. When he noticed the security guard aiming a gun at him, the man laughed.

"You think that pop gun is gonna stop me little man?" He said.

Suddenly something yanked the safe from his grasp. He looked up to see the safe being carried away by a recoiling spring to a man dressed in yellow and orange clinging to the side of the building.

"Sorry Blunderhead, but I'm going to have to confinscate this for you being too loud, and too smelly."

"That's Stonehead. And if you don't give e back that safe Mainspring I'll show you just how hard my stone fists are."

"Uh uh. Finders keepers losers weepers. Man you must use a lot of hankies."

In the darkened wharehouse the little girl cried as she tried to back farther away from the man approaching her, but there was no where else to go. THe man smiled, but it was a mean cruel smile. Then he pulled out the knife.

"Mommy and daddy paid the fine, but I won't relent the dolly is mine."

Suddenly a deep voice that came from everywhere and nowhere said,

"Actually Cutter in an hour she'll be home safe, and you'll be in a hospitial."

The little girl was surprised to see the bad man suddenly look afraid.

"No! You couldn't have found me Nighthunter, and you can't take my dolly away."

Suddenly as if spawned by the shadows a figure in deep purple and red appeared and punched the bad man in the jaw.

In a cold voice the figure said. "Yes I can."

Superheroes larger than life. We've all wondered what sort of powers we would have. Imagined how it would feel to save the world. And thanks to the Hero system we can. However there is a problem. With the versatility of the Heroes system, and the scope and breath of comics it can be a bit daunting on how to begin. Well that's where this book comes in. Instead of new gms and players spending hours trying to figure out how to start we've made it easy.

We start by discussing various types of campains and how to implement them. From lowpowered heroes dealing with street crime to near gods who face world and even other dimensional threats. Then we introduce you to Harton City or at least parts of it. With various sample locations with maps of interesting places like the Black and White club a fancy nightclub with a sinister secret and the Harton city arena where people gather for concerts, races, and alien invasions. These locations can be used as part of a whole or taken and dropped wherever you happen to decide to set your campaign. Then there are the minisenarios. A group of senarios from short to long that can be thrown in to add spice to a campian, an amusing interude, or if you feel up to it combined to make an adventure. There are also four miniadventures which are designed to be played together but can be used sepratly. Finally there are several sample characters both hero and villain so you can dive right in. So what are you waiting for? Adventure is calling you.

It! (Points to Nortere)

Another option is to rewrite, update, and use the Viper's Nest scenario, since its been basically dropped and from what I understand, Hero Games has rights to use the characters and such.  A further option is to do the same with Deathstroke which has a great intro step by step structure.

Deathstroke is actually my all time favorite hero system villian team, don't know why, just liked them!  However, in the 6th ed universe, all but Requiem and Frost have supposedly been vaporized. Then again, with the way villians have a way of escaping these sort of things, it's highly possible they survived! (In my campaign this never happened and I simply updated the remaining members to 6th.)

Another option is to rewrite, update, and use the Viper's Nest scenario, since its been basically dropped and from what I understand, Hero Games has rights to use the characters and such. A further option is to do the same with Deathstroke which has a great intro step by step structure.

I've used this for my kids. I changed the agent from UNTIL to PRIMUS. And one thing I would change and recommend is have the players already either joining PRIMUS or a Superhero team in the background. It saves on "how do the players get togther" plus with a agent, you can feed info easier to the players.

in the 6th ed universe, all but Requiem and Frost have supposedly been vaporized

Sure, but the superhero team is just starting, maybe that happens in the future?  After all, there's nothing about the Champions universe which compels us to start at a specific time frame.  And like you said, dead people come back all the time in comics! :)

VIPER's NEST included the following:

a McGuffin hunt.

a hostage/protect the innocent situation.

an assault on a base.

Plus hooks to connect them together.

The 3e version added a "pick a paragraph" solo to guide people through a combat. This was really just the old combat example.

These kind of scenarios are pretty basic. The main questions are where do the fights take place, and who are the bad guys? The hooks then become fairly easy to create.

The NPCs (villains and other) are important. Their backgrounds can be useful examples of how to world build. You can add elements - organisations, etc - that the GM can either expand upon or ignore. Naturally, this should be explicitly pointed out for novice GMs.

I think modifying viper's Nest slightly to have a few more steps, perhaps blending some of the ideas from Deathstroke (I really like that initial distraction scenario with the underpowered guy who looks really powerful is useful for GMs to teach restraint to players for example) would be a great structure to work around.

Well if they are part of a team or organization, they can have a danger room battle. I told my kids that the androids had sophticated equipment that would register the damage according to level set. Iow, if the androids were set to normal human, then i used normal human stats. And forsake of the battle a player could try any maneuver or power to see its results. I would put in that the GM could use the androids to represent known villains however I would knock a couple of dice off or abilities not used so if the players face the real Ogre they woukdn't know that he has 60 STR, Primus gauged him at 55 STR.

You may want to avoid using the name Champions and any part of the Champions Universe such as UNTIL and VIPER. I believe any product using those would need to be approved by Cryptic Studios/Perfect World since they are the owners of those items.  But I could be wrong about that -- you should probably check with Jason Walters about what does and does not require Cryptic approval. 

As I understand it, Champions and various characters may be used by Hero Games as they have co-ownership with Cryptic (but probably different spheres, such as print being Hero and computer gaming stuff Cryptic).

I want to avoid danger room style scenarios just because I want the setting to establish and enforce heroism and doing good deeds at personal expense, rather than practicing against stuff without anything to gain or lose.  If its a game inside a game, players do not learn to be heroic or enjoy the various themes of comic books.

The danger room is so that players can get a feel of the mechanics and game before you have them in the thick of things. It was only for a scene to boot. Depending on players, going cold into the action may hinder being heroic. Why? Because if people are unsure on how the mechanics work, they tend to play defensively. Especially if they are coming from an experience where characters die.