Character: Dryad

Epiphanis

post-12678-0-65228100-1455312191.gif

Character I'm developing for Darren Watts' supernatural team sub-campaign.  Not finalized, but:

DRYAD

(Daphne Kazantzakis)

VAL CHA Cost Roll Notes
10 STR 0 11- HTH Damage 2d6  END [1]
13 DEX 6 12-
20 CON 10 13-
13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-
18 EGO 8 13-
19 PRE 9 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6 / 4d6
4 OCV 5
8 DCV 25
8 OMCV 15
8 DMCV 15
5 SPD 30 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
15 PD 4 15/25 PD (9/19 rPD)
15 ED 4 15/25 ED (9/19 rED)
10 REC 6
40 END 4
15 BODY 5
30 STUN 5
Movement Cost Meters Notes
RUNNING 0 22m/44m END [2]
SWIMMING 0 4m/8m END [1]
LEAPING 0 4m 4m forward, 2m upward
TELEPORTATION  7m/14m
Characteristics Total: 154
Cost Powers
60 Powers of the Green: Multipower, 60-point reserve - END=
6f 1)  Vine Lash: Blast 12d6, Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DCV; +0) (60 Active Points) - END=6
6f 2)  Manipulating Tendrils: Telekinesis (40 STR), Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DCV; +0) (60 Active Points) - END=6
6f 3)  Creeper Tendrils: Telekinesis (25 STR), Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DCV; +0), Indirect (Source Point is the Character, path can change with every use; +1/2) (58 Active Points) - END=6
6f 4)  Entangling Vines: Entangle 4d6, 7 PD/4 ED (standard effect: 4 BODY, 7 PD/4 ED), Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DCV; +0), Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (59 Active Points) - END=6
4f 5)  Dense Hedge-Wall: Barrier 10 PD/6 ED, 10 BODY (up to 8m long, 3m tall, and 21/4m thick), Opaque Sight Group, Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DCV; +0) (60 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (Only works when surface it is created upon is within 1 meter of soil, with material with a PD of 6 or less between; -1/2) - END=6
3f 6)  Manipulating Scent: Mind Control 11d6 (standard effect: 33 points) (Human and Additional Class of Minds classes of minds) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Subjects must be able to smell her scent, i.e. must not be in sealed environment and at short range, about 4 meters in still air, less in winds.; -1) [Notes: Dryad can generate plant pheromones to control weak-willed human- and animal-class minds in her immediate vicinity.] - END=6
6f 7)  Plant Speech: Telepathy 8d6 (Plant class of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) - END=0
4f 8)  Regrow Body Elsewhere: Teleportation 7m, No Relative Velocity, No Range Modifier (+1/2), MegaScale (1m = 10,000 km; +2) (59 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Cannot carry anything, even clothing; -1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Destination point must have at least one ounce of living plant life; -1/4) [Notes: Dryad can "teleport" by growing a new body anywhere there is a significant amount of living plant matter.  Her previous body immediately disintegrates into a pile of fast-disintegrating vegetable compost.  Any damage or alteration her previous body sustained is carried over to the new one.  This power is too slow and scaled to effectively use in combat.] - END=6
30 Body of Flesh/Wood: Multipower, 30-point reserve - END=
1f 1)  Body of Flesh I: (Total: 15 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) +2 DCV (Real Cost: 10) plus +2 DEX (Real Cost: 4) plus +1 PRE (Real Cost: 1) - END=0
1f 2)  Body of Flesh II: (Total: 15 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) +2 DCV (Real Cost: 10) plus +2 DEX (Real Cost: 4) plus +1 PRE (Real Cost: 1) - END=0
1f 3)  Body of Wood I: Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points) - END=0
1f 4)  Body of Wood II: Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points) - END=0
13 Calling Upon The Green: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) +10 REC (10 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Very Common Circumstances (Only works in area with at least heavy foliation (forest, jungle, meadow, etc.); -1) (Real Cost: 5) plus +10 REC (10 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only works in area with at least light foliation (surburban or rural habitation); -1/4) (Real Cost: 8) - END=0
18 Plant Metabolism: Life Support  (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Expanded Breathing; Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Immunity All terrestrial diseases; Immunity: Phytotoxins; Longevity: 200 Years) [Notes: Dryad only needs a limited amount of breathing and eating, and can thrive in atmospheres in which humans cannot, as long as there is carbon dioxide present.  She is immune to plant poisons and all diseases.  She has longevity equal to her oak tree.] - END=0
10 Gaia's Grace: Power Defense (10 points) - END=0
10 Preternatural Vigor: Running +10m (22m total) - END=1
Powers Total: 186
Cost Skills
15 +3 with a large group of attacks
5 +5 to offset a specific negative OCV modifier with any single attack [Notes: Only to offset penalty for teleporting to unseen spot.]
3 Breakfall 12-
3 Teamwork 12-
3 Science Skill:  Botany 12-
2 KS: Greek Mythology 11-
2 KS: The Mystic World 11-
Skills Total: 33
Cost Perks
3 Contact:  Gaia (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact) 8-
Perks Total: 3
Cost Talents
18 Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)
3 Bump Of Direction
3 +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)
Talents Total: 24
Value Complications
10 Hunted:  Gaia Frequently (Mo Pow; Watching)
15 Distinctive Features (Mystic Aura):  (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)
15 Social Complication:  Secret:  the Oak tree that contains her spirit Infrequently, Severe
15 Social Complication:  Subject to Orders (from Gaia) Frequently, Major
10 Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Herbicides (Uncommon)
10 Vulnerability:  2 x BODY Herbicides (Uncommon)
Complications Points: 75
Base Points: 400
Experience: 0
Experience Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 400

post-12678-0-65228100-1455312191_thumb.gif

I will suggest there are two reasons for the double MP slots. The first is “mix & match”, which I like. The second is “point shaving”, which may not be quite so likeable.

A similar, book legal result which enhances “mix & match” at the expense of point shaving would be

6m 1) Body of Flesh: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 30 Real Cost) +4 DCV (Real Cost: 20) plus +4 DEX (Real Cost: 8) plus +2 PRE (Real Cost: 2) - END=0

6m 3) Body of Wood: Resistant Protection (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points) - END=0

Now you can mix and match to your heart’s content. The 8 point cost arises from that desire to mix and match, as well as the fact that the present model conveniently maximizes the benefits of the rounding rules.

It feels wrong. If your model is rules-legal, why should anyone ever pay for a variable slot? Just chunk all the powers up into 15 point increments and save 2/3 of the slot costs. That said, however, from 6e, Vol 1, p 399, I agree it is completely book-legal. It just feels wrong.

One other aspect of this – while all of the slot powers are persistent, I question whether a Multipower itself is Persistent. That is, when the character is knocked out, sleeps or has just entered a scene after a lengthy period of down time, do all Multipower slots shut down, so that she has neither the benefits of being flesh or wood? This comes down to interpretation of whether the reserve, once allocated, stays allocated.

I will suggest there are two reasons for the double MP slots. The first is “mix & match”, which I like. The second is “point shaving”, which may not be quite so likeable.

A similar, book legal result which enhances “mix & match” at the expense of point shaving would be

6m 1) Body of Flesh: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 30 Real Cost) +4 DCV (Real Cost: 20) plus +4 DEX (Real Cost: 8) plus +2 PRE (Real Cost: 2) - END=0

6m 3) Body of Wood: Resistant Protection (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points) - END=0

Now you can mix and match to your heart’s content. The 8 point cost arises from that desire to mix and match, as well as the fact that the present model conveniently maximizes the benefits of the rounding rules.

It feels wrong. If your model is rules-legal, why should anyone ever pay for a variable slot? Just chunk all the powers up into 15 point increments and save 2/3 of the slot costs. That said, however, from 6e, Vol 1, p 399, I agree it is completely book-legal. It just feels wrong.

One other aspect of this – while all of the slot powers are persistent, I question whether a Multipower itself is Persistent. That is, when the character is knocked out, sleeps or has just entered a scene after a lengthy period of down time, do all Multipower slots shut down, so that she has neither the benefits of being flesh or wood? This comes down to interpretation of whether the reserve, once allocated, stays allocated.

If she is neither flesh nor wood when sleeping, what do you think she becomes?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is sure she sleeps like a log

If she is neither flesh nor wood when sleeping, what do you think she becomes?

A good question. Is it better asked with an eye to whether the Multiform points remain allocated through sleep, or is it a better question for the justification of the MP build? Perhaps the pool needs the Persistent advantage to remain active when the character is not conscious, in order to match the concept the power construct is attempting to emulate.

Are there official examples of Multipowers that stay allocated persistently, or that have persistent powers that are noted as shutting down when the character sleeps or is knocked out?

Are there official examples of Multipowers that stay allocated persistently, or that have persistent powers that are noted as shutting down when the character sleeps or is knocked out?

Although it's old, there's a post quoting the FAQ on this:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/3419-clarification-on-a-multipower-faq-item/

EDIT: Can't find that reference in the 6E FAQ from 2010. Makes me think this is probably in the rules somewhere.

Check out page 398.

"a character cannot buy a slot in his Power Framework defined as “Blast +8d6” to add to the Blast 12d6 slot in the same Power Framework or another Power Framework"

That's exactly what's going on here.

Thank goodness. The universe is still in balance. That would have been a doozy of a loophole!

Check out page 398.

"a character cannot buy a slot in his Power Framework defined as “Blast +8d6” to add to the Blast 12d6 slot in the same Power Framework or another Power Framework"

That's exactly what's going on here.

Thank goodness. The universe is still in balance. That would have been a doozy of a loophole!

That's not what is happening. Continue reading onto 6E1 399 as mentioned by Hugh. You can have multiple slots affecting a characteristic since they are outside of the framework.

I admit I only looked at the Body of Wood (Resistant Protection) slots. They're still dodgy, since they are only adding to each other, and not to a power outside.

The Body of Flesh slots (characteristics)... maybe.

The whole setup is an exploit, which usually wouldn't pass the GM's veto, but by the book... maybe.

I admit I only looked at the Body of Wood (Resistant Protection) slots. They're still dodgy, since they are only adding to each other, and not to a power outside.

The Body of Flesh slots (characteristics)... maybe.

The whole setup is an exploit, which usually wouldn't pass the GM's veto, but by the book... maybe.

In this case, even the resistant defense is adding to PD and ED.

I still prefer Hugh's build given that the OP hasn't given their reasons yet, so there's no way to evaluate what or why beyond our own musings.

Don't know what you all are going on about.  Its exactly like buying two variable slots in a multipower, except each is broken down into two fixed increments. Completely legal.  Not seeing the problem you have with it.  Not that I plan to debate it further; the only opinion that matters on the issue is Darren Watts'.

Resistant Protection is a power, in this context. (Also the whole thing is an exploit, so the hardest line interpretation wins. ;) )

So are the other characteristics when bought this way. Resistant Protection adds to your PD/ED (in this case). It is not some separate characteristic or defense applied independently (such as a Barrier).

Your assertion that it is an exploit may or may not be true. Right now, without any input from the OP, that's your opinion. As a GM, I likely would not allow such a construct myself, so we're in agreement there.

Don't know what you all are going on about.  Its exactly like buying two variable slots in a multipower, except each is broken down into two fixed increments. Completely legal.  Not seeing the problem you have with it.  Not that I plan to debate it further; the only opinion that matters on the issue is Darren Watts'.

True, but you did post on a discussion board. And when asked about the build, you simply stated, "reasons." You've been registered on the site since 2010, so I expect you would know where that would lead.

Let us know if Darren OKs it. (Or not).

If he thinks it's OK, I might start using it myself.