Anyone ever done an X-Com campaign?

Tigratrus

My 14 year old is HUGE X-Com fan. He loved the original Enemy Unknown game I still had the original box for, and played it in emulators for years until the new version came out. We both still love the original, though the modern reboot is excellent as well.

Anyway, he has been working on a Wing Commander campaign that he's running, and while working on characters and ships using 5th ed Star Hero, we started talking about how much fun X-Com could be using Hero system. 

Our initial take was to build characters that are mainly a pet class (in MMO parlance) to make up for not having enough characters. If you only have one player (our likely scenario as he and I are the only X-Com fanatics in the family), you would build a Squad Leader who has his own skills, plus 4-7 henchmen/companions that make up the rest of the tactical squad. Individually they wouldn't be terribly powerful, with the Squad Leader being slightly above the rest in terms of personal capability. Most of the Squad Leader's points would go into the Squad Members who would be bought as Followers.

With more players, you could split up the squad into individuals, two person teams (one PC with a follower each) etc.

Anyone ever done something along these lines?

If/When we give it a shot I'll post back to let folks know how it turned out. I think it could be an LOT of fun to play. 
Lots of aliens hidden in a FOW darkened map etc.

Combat heavy and roleplaying light, but that's what he enjoys at the moment, so Wing Commander and X-Com fit the bill nicely. Plus he's getting a LOT of great practice at math. Hero System for the homeschooling win! :-)

James

GM: "The area immediately behind the Skyranger is poorly lit by light spilling from the interior of your craft. You can see a warehouse directly ahead of you, about 25 yards behind the plane, with a gas station off to the left and a city street on the right. No living being, human or alien is in sight, and nothing is moving."

Player 1: "Okay, I carefully move down the ramp to the parking lot."

GM: "You are hit by five heavy plasma bursts. You are dead."