Wonder Woman

Greywind

You Aren’t Imagining It, ‘Wonder Woman’ Really Isn’t Being Well Promoted

Approximately a month before Warner Bros. releases one of their biggest films of the year, one that will go down in entertainment history one way or another simply for being the first film starring Princess Diana, the company has released three trailers and two “Tilt Brush” videos explaining the concept art. At the same point in the marketing cycle for Suicide Squad, the villainous flick already had three trailers, four TV spots, a “Buy Advanced Tickets” promotional video, and fun little biographies for each member of the team.

They've done more to promote Justice League (7 months out) than they have for WW (out next month). :no:

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I did see two promos for Wonder Woman Tuesday night, one in a TV showing of Captain America: The First Avenger, and the other in an episode of Agents Of SHIELD.  And the toys have appeared on the shelves at my local Wal-Mart--so yes, the movie is getting promoted, if the promotion does appear to be low-key.

Check the graphic in the article comparing promos and trailers.  Yes, its significantly less.  However, I'm not sure its a lot less than for an ordinary film; they may have really blitzed Suicide Squid because they thought it was a weak property.  They might consider Wonder Woman a sure hit and not worth the extra money to publicize as hard.

I think Christopher is right. Columbia Pictures hyper-promoted Charlie's Angels because it didn't test well and it was expected to be a bomb. But the saturated advertising actually helped it do well at the box office. It cost Columbia a lot of money to do that promotional blitz, and if it had not worked out, they would have been in trouble.

I don't think WB feels the need to spend any extra money on an advertising blitz for Wonder Woman just to assure a solid opening weekend. I imagine they aren't worried about its prospects.

Yeah, no one knew who the Suicide Squad was, so they had to beat us up with ads for them. Everyone knows who WW is, even if they've never picked up a comic, so they can target their marketing dollars accordingly. And I'm currently drinking from a Dr. Pepper can with Gal Gadot's picture on it, so it does seem like they're starting to pick up the marketing.

Edit: it could also be that for WW, they're buying fewer ads but buying more expensive ads, aiming to make sure everyone sees at least a couple ads and is aware of the movie; compared to bombarding the airwaves with SS ads in (comparatively) cheaper time slots?

I an example that shows the difference between the perception of Marvel movies vs DC movies. My wife wants to go see GOTG2 with me this week. She is not a comics reader or invested in any of the books. On the other hand, she will wait till I see WW to decide whether to see it on my recommendation. The reason for this is, she believes going in, based on track records of the previous movies, that GOTG2 will be a fun action movie with laughs in it and good acting with good characters. With WW she has no idea going in if it will be a fun movie to see, and since she doesn't go very often (I probably watch 10 times the movies she does) she will wait and see.

This is all about perception of the movies put out by both studios.

DC/Warner Brothers really did themselves a disservice I agree.  Now even if a movie is pretty good, its going to be savaged by people because their reputation is so bad.  If, for example, DC put out Thor 2 or Iron Man 3, people would have savaged it, looking mostly at the bad instead of what good could be found.

Well, there's hope in my heart that WW will make people re-evaluate things a bit. However, like I said before, it will probably be the only one of the DCEU movies with any Marvel-ish sense of fun and charm. As soon as Justice League comes out, any goodwill generated by WW will be lost when the feelings of, "Yep, back to the grimdark...WW was a fluke" set in.

If, for example, DC put out Thor 2 or Iron Man 3, people would have savaged it, looking mostly at the bad instead of what good could be found.

IMO Thor 2 & IM 3 were both at least one full letter grade better than either MoS or BvS. DC has successfully lowered the bar for themselves to the point that if WW is as good as the worst Marvel movies, it'll be seen as progress.

Just saw GotG2, and all through the WW preview it seemed like half the theater was quietly chanting "Please don't suck, please don't suck..."

Thor 2 or Iron Man 3 are some of my favourite MCU films. People still think these are bad? *sigh* If WW is as good as Thor 2 or Iron Man 3 then, I'll see it in the cinema.

But we have already established that my view on Thor 2 or Iron Man 3 and others is vastly different. 

IMO Thor 2 & IM 3 were both at least one full letter grade better than either MoS or BvS. DC has successfully lowered the bar for themselves to the point that if WW is as good as the worst Marvel movies, it'll be seen as progress.

Just saw GotG2, and all through the WW preview it seemed like half the theater was quietly chanting "Please don't suck, please don't suck..."

Hmmm, on my trip to GotG2, the WW trailer had me saying, "Damn!  Why do I have to wait for June for it to come out?"

Yep, even knowing what DC has done to their other movie properties, I still major psyched for WW.  It helps that every comment from the film's director has reinforced the idea that she actually "gets" the character.

Hmmm, on my trip to GotG2, the WW trailer had me saying, "Damn!  Why do I have to wait for June for it to come out?"

Oh I agree the trailer(s) looks awesome! If the movie is half as good as its trailer, we're in for a treat. And I really want it to be that good. Hence "please don't suck!" My inner fanboy has been burned before, y'know. ;)

And I also liked both IM3 and Thor 2; I even liked IM2, tho it definitely had some problems. In fact I own all three on DVD. But those seem to be the ones most people point to as the weakest links. (Aside from Incredible Hulk, which most people seem to forget about.)

You don't want to know which MCU film I consider to be a weak link. :D

It occurred to me this morning that BvS must take place in some Underworld or Abyss. It's the only way I can reconcile some of the elements/themes in the film.