Wonder Woman

Greywind

I read that as "it was cool in Captain America, let's do that too." 

Yeah, but at least with Cap it was established in the character's history and comics.  Wondy's buddies just came out of nowhere.

I'm not sure what is meant by rebuilding her power set by 500 points. Compared to what? The comics?

Well here's the established power set of Wonder Woman in everything up to the point of that movie:

• Almost as strong as Superman (2nd strongest in the DC universe)
  • Flight
  • Lasso
  • Able to deflect attacks

Here's what she can do now in the movie:

• Anything.

Seriously, she's been declared a goddess and she could do pretty much anything she decided on.  Fast as the Flash (OK that sort of makes sense, so she can deflect bullets), heal really fast (uh, I guess so, sure), Clap her bracelets and blast everything in a huge AE (um where did...), absorb and redirect lightning (wait, what?).

The problem with 'I can do anything wish powers' characters is that there's no tension in their storytelling.  If you don't know limits and specifics of what they can do, then they can just pull whatever they need out of the hat and deal with every situation and challenge.  Oh, I could always teleport, didn't you know that?  My telepathy warned me.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, zslane said:

Agreed.

But I don't think it is the lack of a detailed depiction of their time on the sail boat that is the issue, it is the implied speed with which they made the journey. Steve needed to get Maru's journal to London immediately. There are no routes, either seaborne (by sail boat, mind you) or overland (even by train) that wouldn't take months to get you from an island somewhere in the Aegean to London. The movie just glosses over this fact by not depicting the journey at all; not because it would be boring to watch, but because it wouldn't fit within the crisis narrative set up in the first act of the film. It is sloppy writing, but I think the writers just hoped nobody would really notice (or care).

Don't the Amazons get a free pass due to Magic? That's all I assumed.

Aegean to London on train or plane is a matter of days, not months.  Trains were pretty effective and powerful by that point, the war being the biggest hindrance.  No my biggest concern is the lack of any sense of travel time and the near-impossibility of even surviving a trip of thousands of miles on a boat like that, particularly through the Atlantic and channel.  The smartest thing would be for them to be picked up by a British trawler or military ship, and given a ride, not "hey we're suddenly in London!!"

And you cannot sleep your way up the Thames like that.  Very poorly handled.

Civilian train travel across Europe was spotty and unreliable at best in 1917. Most of Europe was not adequately covered, especially through the Balkans. The war made things even worse (the Orient Express suspended services during the entire war). They would have had to stow away on dozens of small trains, most of them commandeered by various foreign militaries, to even have a chance of reaching the Channel coast of France. Aircraft were simply not an option. The trials and tribulations of two travelers trying to get to London by crossing Europe would be a harrowing movie in itself, and it would take them quite some time.

As for Wonder Woman's powers, her bracers (which were made from Zeus' shield as I recall) had pretty amazing abilities in BvS as well. What we saw in Wonder Woman seems consistent with that at least. Their ability to absorb and redirect Ares' lightning attack is not an unreasonable ability to imagine built into them either.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Yeah, it's one thing to give Wonder Woman magic bracers and quite another to give her . . . magic bracers. :snicker:

You mean to say that her magic bracers* are there to keep her costume in place and prevent wardrobe malfunctions. 

* aka suspenders. 

20 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah, but at least with Cap it was established in the character's history and comics.  Wondy's buddies just came out of nowhere.

I'm not sure what is meant by rebuilding her power set by 500 points. Compared to what? The comics?

Well here's the established power set of Wonder Woman in everything up to the point of that movie:

• Almost as strong as Superman (2nd strongest in the DC universe)
  • Flight
  • Lasso
  • Able to deflect attacks

Here's what she can do now in the movie:

• Anything.

Seriously, she's been declared a goddess and she could do pretty much anything she decided on.  Fast as the Flash (OK that sort of makes sense, so she can deflect bullets), heal really fast (uh, I guess so, sure), Clap her bracelets and blast everything in a huge AE (um where did...), absorb and redirect lightning (wait, what?).

The problem with 'I can do anything wish powers' characters is that there's no tension in their storytelling.  If you don't know limits and specifics of what they can do, then they can just pull whatever they need out of the hat and deal with every situation and challenge.  Oh, I could always teleport, didn't you know that?  My telepathy warned me.

Flight was original based on her Invisible Plane.  She was able to run at over 60 miles and hour, and make leap great distances.  Her ability to "glide on air currents" came about during the Silver Age.

She also had a form a Mind Link through  her "Mental Radio" which could send messages with out a device, but needed one to receive them.

Not sure if that really puts her on par with Zeus; Hercules is a son of Zeus, after all, but only rates demigodhood* as a result of his mortal parentage.  Diana's unusual origin could put her anywhere on a power continuum between Adam and Ares.

* Demigodness?  Demigoddity?

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Not sure if that really puts her on par with Zeus; Hercules is a son of Zeus, after all, but only rates demigodhood* as a result of his mortal parentage.  Diana's unusual origin could put her anywhere on a power continuum between Adam and Ares.

* Demigodness?  Demigoddity?

Exactly. Heracles mother was mortal. Diana's wasn't.

On 11/18/2017 at 5:13 PM, Cassandra said:

Given the disappointing box office of Justice League I'm not sure this version of Wonder Woman has much of a future.

Given the vast return-on-investment  and critical praise of her solo movie and the estimated $500 million-1 billion in Wonder Woman merchandise that's sold since opening night, this version of Wonder Woman is the ONLY part of the DCEU that I'm sure has much of a future.

It was a good way to visually represent the contrast between the bright, vivid optimism of the Amazons with the cold, harsh, dreary reality of WWI. The use of the cold palette when in Europe was not a Snyder-ism, it was integral to the visual narrative, and quite effective if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, zslane said:

It was a good way to visually represent the contrast between the bright, vivid optimism of the Amazons with the cold, harsh, dreary reality of WWI. The use of the cold palette when in Europe was not a Snyder-ism, it was integral to the visual narrative, and quite effective if you ask me.

The decision to set her movie in World War One instead of World War Two was based on Batman v. Superman not wanting anyone to know about her existing before the Man of Steel existed.  Plus it would be hard to blame Ares for Hitler.

2 hours ago, Cassandra said:

The decision to set her movie in World War One instead of World War Two was based on Batman v. Superman not wanting anyone to know about her existing before the Man of Steel existed.

I don't believe that is really the case. For one thing, Patty Jenkins (and others) have provided numerous reasons for the WWI setting, and not once was BvS continuity mentioned as a guiding element. Moreover, the notion that Diana withdrew from the world after WWI was retconned entirely, and so that would not have been a guiding element either.

Just now, zslane said:

I don't believe that is really the case. For one thing, Patty Jenkins (and others) have provided numerous reasons for the WWI setting, and not once was BvS continuity mentioned as a guiding element. Moreover, the notion that Diana withdrew from the world after WWI was retconned entirely, and so that would not have been a guiding element either.

Which makes Wonder Woman responsible for all the horrors of World War Two because of her unwillingness to get involved.

It's a rip off of the Dark Knight Rises.