Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Many people on that world are probably complaining that Kasich is the worst president ever. It's all relative, and the human condition could be summarized as, "I think, therefore I b!tch." :rolleyes:

But it would be normal bitching, the sort we do without real fear.

I remember alleged humorist Dave Berry delivering a routine on (IIRC) Prairie Home Companion in which he became the first to decry the Failed Clinton Presidency... by doing it before Clinton was inaugurated.

More seriously, the public radio program Fresh Air had this interview last night:

'How Democracies Die' Authors Say Trump Is A Symptom Of ... - NPR

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Again, the point is to destroy the U.S. government from within, so that it can't interfere with multinational corporations, oligarchs, and Russia.

Exactly this. "Deconstruct the Administrative State" = destroy the capacity of the Federal government to regulate, administrate, or operate effectively. 

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Many people on that world are probably complaining that Kasich is the worst president ever. It's all relative, and the human condition could be summarized as, "I think, therefore I b!tch." :rolleyes:

On the flipside, we have people invested in every word uttered by Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Richard Spencer, Sean Hannity and so on. They must believe in the maxim "He b!tches, therefore he thinks."

I'm talking  not about this change alone. I'm talking on how it's another log on the fire (Sorry, Log). Not one small change, but a pile on. Add this to some of the other goods like police legally committing highway robbery,  American spying on it's own citizens without warrant, of course the continuing use of double speak with naming things with fun titles like "patriot act".

PIle it together and it does indeed seem Orwellian to me.

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

I'm talking  not about this change alone. I'm talking on how it's another log on the fire (Sorry, Log). Not one small change, but a pile on. Add this to some of the other goods like police legally committing highway robbery,  American spying on it's own citizens without warrant, of course the continuing use of double speak with naming things with fun titles like "patriot act".

Given current events, I'm afraid that Orwell was an optimist.

4 hours ago, Hermit said:

Then you are plain missusing the term. Orwellian is not Surveilance. It is not even Authortarian Governments. It is more. It is less. It is something totally different:

Of course we all know how language can literally change in a generation to suddenly mean the opposite. So maybe it is not as bad as Orwell thought?

You might want to read my FULL post next time, and for that matter, watch your own video.

of course the continuing use of double speak with naming things with fun titles like "patriot act".

You seemed to have missed that part so I have quoted myself above. As the  video you yourself says "This why Authoritarian alone does not Orwellian Make"

So yeah, by your own source, Orwellian still applies as I'm not just using Authoritarian alone.

EDIT: You know what, I'm a bad mood tonight and that may have me attributing more deliberate malice on your part than is truly the case. I think, in the end, we both agree that the United States, whatever adjective you use, is going in dangerous directions for its democracy and the people it is supposed to stand  for.

32 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Then you are plain missusing the term. Orwellian is not Surveilance. It is not even Authortarian Governments. It is more. It is less. It is something totally different:

Of course we all know how language can literally change in a generation to suddenly mean the opposite. So maybe it is not as bad as Orwell thought?

Fake news. 

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Trump really wants that wall... which makes me think he wants to put his name on it every 20 feet or so

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/25/580858256/white-house-releases-draft-immigration-plan

Curious: when will the "point of no return" be for the start-date of the wall's construction if it is to be completed before Forty-Five leaves office? I can't imagine he would be satisfied with it being only partly completed at the end of his time in office and I DEFINITELY think he will be infuriated if the project only launches after he's gone.