Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

2 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Again, it is "legal", but you'll still get fired for using, even if you aren't high at work.

Not necessarily. You can get fired, but won't necessarily depending on employer policy. Even in local government (excepting public safety positions) there's significant variation ranging from "don't ask and we don't care" to "get caught and you are gone". Factors include consideration of risk (litigation) to deference regarding the state law to regional politics. 

Still can fire employees for recreational use, but many employers won't. 

Just heard on All Things Considered: In his typically blustering response to Kim Jong Un's typically blustering New Year's message, Donald Trump actually used the workds, "Mine is bigger." Supposedly about the size of the metaphorical "Nuclear Button" on his desk, but Trump is a clever enough rhetorician (in his crude way) that I expect he knew the phrase has other associations that will set his base hooting in glee.

Ow, ow, ow.

Dean Shomshak

17 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

Just heard on All Things Considered: In his typically blustering response to Kim Jong Un's typically blustering New Year's message, Donald Trump actually used the workds, "Mine is bigger." Supposedly about the size of the metaphorical "Nuclear Button" on his desk, but Trump is a clever enough rhetorician (in his crude way) that I expect he knew the phrase has other associations that will set his base hooting in glee.

Ow, ow, ow.

Dean Shomshak

It's allll going in the history books.

28 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

Ow, ow, ow.

Dean Shomshak

I only heard about this tweet by trump, when someone did the correctional work on the tweet:

"North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the “Dick is on his desk at all times.” Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Dick, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Dick works!"

*sing*
Is my cock big enough
Is my brain small enough
For you to make me a leader ...

2 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

Seem plausible. I mean if it was a execution, we would have heard about it earlier:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/27/north-korea-executed-five-security-officials-anti-aircraft-guns/

I must correct my previous post. Trump did not use the specific words, "Mine is bigger." In the hour between my hearing the news item and my posting, my erratic brain condensed and altered his words. I heard the exact words two hours later, to my mortification, but by then I was home and could not retract the post.

No matter how much I dislike Donald Trump, I do not want to condemn him for things he did not actually say or do. (His real, accurately reported words and actions are quite bad enough.)

I apologize for the inaccuracy.

Dean Shomshak

58 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

I must correct my previous post. Trump did not use the specific words, "Mine is bigger." In the hour between my hearing the news item and my posting, my erratic brain condensed and altered his words. I heard the exact words two hours later, to my mortification, but by then I was home and could not retract the post.

To be fair, while what you stated is true, he wasn't really blowing a dog whistle to his base (and I do mean base in every sense of the word) with what he did say. That was more akin to barking at passing cars.

5 hours ago, DShomshak said:

No matter how much I dislike Donald Trump, I do not want to condemn him for things he did not actually say or do. (His real, accurately reported words and actions are quite bad enough.)

I apologize for the inaccuracy.

Dean Shomshak

Trump never gets tired of reminding us all how superior he is. Mainly because he isn't.

23 hours ago, death tribble said:

I don't see why you should apologise for saying something inaccurate about Trump. After all he never apologises for his inaccuracies. Which of course sets a very bad example for the country.

That is part of why I'm doing it. At this point, careful checking and apologizing for inaccuracy almost feels like resistance.

Dean Shomshak