Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 hours ago, Christopher said:

Typical.

Republicans complained "Obama kileld more people with Drones". Trump already surpassed him in his first year.

"We have to take out their families." wasn't contested much. Or, at least, it wasn't contested enough to the point where the man who uttered that phrase had to recant his barbaric sentiment.

2 hours ago, assault said:

"I hate Illinois Nazis."

Actually, that scene from Blues Brothers is a bit weird today. Driving a car through a crowd is less of a joke.

I kind of feel bad for Illinois Republicans. I saw a quote from his opponent, that the Nazi does not represent the values of the District or State, but I don't think he even represents the Republicans of his District.  A party organizer was lamenting that it was hard to get anybody to run, because it was such a deep-blue district, what was the point? So they wind up with loons.

19 hours ago, Sociotard said:

I kind of feel bad for Illinois Republicans. I saw a quote from his opponent, that the Nazi does not represent the values of the District or State, but I don't think he even represents the Republicans of his District.  A party organizer was lamenting that it was hard to get anybody to run, because it was such a deep-blue district, what was the point? So they wind up with loons.

I doubt this will ever stop being such a Blue State, if they do not put up decent candidates.

If all I ever saw as Republican Candidate in my district was a holocaust denier, it says something about the party. And it is "look how normal and voteable we are".

A party is supposed to filter out such people, so they do not become the face of the party in a region.

34 minutes ago, Christopher said:

A party is supposed to filter out such people, so they do not become the face of the party in a region.

I agree. Part of the problem is that in the US parties are weak. We gave up the "smoke filled back rooms" where party officials would decide who could and could not run with the party affiliation.  Were those rooms still around, they'd say "no holocaust deniers, even if this is all we could get. Better to let the democrat run unopposed than let our brand be damaged."

But we don't. We Americans cringed at the idea of those rooms, and thought things should be more democratic. So, if there isn't much Primary opposition to the Nazi, the Nazi gets to run with an (R) next to his name. We have thrown a baby out with its bathwater.

https://www.vox.com/mischiefs-of-faction/2016/11/3/13512362/weak-parties-strong-partisanship-bad-combination

2 hours ago, Christopher said:

Unless the party is comprised only of those people, and they don't have a reasonable-sounding dogwhistle guy they can elect to pretend they're normal and voteable.