Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

11 hours ago, Sociotard said:

The new Director is the first woman in the position, so that's nice. Gina Haspel.

Less nice, she was one of the supervisors of the CIA's torture program.

From 2003 to 2005, Gina Haspel was a senior official overseeing a top-secret C.I.A. program that subjected dozens of suspected terrorists to savage interrogations, which included depriving them of sleep, squeezing them into coffins, and forcing water down their throats. In 2002, Haspel was among the C.I.A. officers present at the interrogation of Abu Zubaydah, an Al Qaeda suspect who was tortured so brutally that at one point he appeared to be dead.

12 hours ago, Cygnia said:

From the article:

...his presidency has entered a new phase—one in which Trump feels emboldened to throw off the shackles that have thus far constrained him.

Wait... so up to now, this has been the restrained Donald Trump?  :angst:

Several years ago there was a bill in the Idaho state house that would permit instructors in their state universities to carry firearms while performing their teaching duties.  There was a snarky letter from an instructor that got published in the NY Times that more or less asked for rules of engagement, when he was allowed to open fire at a student.  While intended to be raw snark, that did raise a valid point, of training a significant group of people who would be newly authorized to carry weapons as part of their duties.

So all you citizens of the US don't feel alone, here is what a minister in the Australian government is coming out with.

He is copping a lot of flak from it, but he said it. He's also our minister for everything "security" related, which is... delightful.

This includes sticking people who aren't white into tropical "detention centres".

On 3/16/2018 at 9:08 AM, Starlord said:

They might be safer from us there.

Guess who gets the privilege of operating those detention centers?

I can barely use a euphemism like "detention centers" with a straight face, so excuse me for a minute while I step away from the keyboard for a primal scream or something....

On 3/16/2018 at 6:01 AM, assault said:

So all you citizens of the US don't feel alone, here is what a minister in the Australian government is coming out with.

He is copping a lot of flak from it, but he said it. He's also our minister for everything "security" related, which is... delightful.

This includes sticking people who aren't white into tropical "detention centres".

When you read the rest of the Minister's remarks about immigration, the whole thing certainly sounds like the familiar euphemisms for, "we only want white people," that we've all been hearing from many countries for years.

I am also getting very tired of government officials making policy pronouncements based on what they saw on TV or read on the Internet. Mr. Dutton, you're a high-level minister of a first-world country -- you have the resources to fact-check and get advice on the repercussions before you open your mouth! :tsk:

On 3/8/2018 at 10:47 PM, Sociotard said:

You know what, I'm going to make a pledge:

If Donald Trump 

1) Follows through with negotiations  (even if it doesn't result in NK giving up nukes; establishing dialogue suffices)

2) Does not attack NK, including a "bloody nose" strike.

3) Maintains the Iran deal

4) Doesn't let the Syrian civil war drag us into a new conflict with one of the participants (like Turkey or Russia)

5) Maintains relations with Cuba

6) Keeps his stupid trade war small

Bonus) Negotiates an end to the Yemeni conflict

I will vote for him in 2020. I will forgive his lies and sexual predation and killing Obamacare and the deficit-spiking tax cuts and I will vote for him.

C'mon Trump. You can do this. Three years of peace, no regime toppling or pre-emptive strikes. You really can. You evicerated the state department for no good reason, but you can still win my vote by just holding your isolationism. That starts by picking the right advisers. Dagnabit.

I admire your willingness to keep your word, but I think your initial conditions were too wishfully constructed.

Deviations from a straight path increase, not decrease, over time, unless there's an overwhelming stabilizing force operating.