Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Not bad.  Wonder if there is a future option for the detailed suspension coming later.  I was looking over the Invision features and didn't see a 'coming soon' section.  I'd love to see that someday.  How do you set the timed interval of suspension?  Is it calendar based or a drop down list like week, month, 3 months, etc?

I remember getting a zero-point, zero-duration red card once when I wondered aloud what an infraction notification looked like.  Don't know how many forum software versions back that was.

EDIT: :rofl:

Edit^2: It is confusing when the infracted state hits while you're editing up a new post, though I suppose that's a feature not a bug.

On 11/2/2017 at 4:33 PM, Old Man said:

So the Orange Occupant is coming to visit tomorrow.  After landing he will go from the airport to his hotel in Waikiki for about an hour, then turn around and go back to Pearl Harbor, which is immediately adjacent to the airport he will have just landed at.  Then after that he'll go back to Waikiki.  Freeways will be closed for hours, during the Friday afternoon rush, in one of the worst cities in the nation for traffic.

Seriously, f__k this guy.

Old man, please convey my gratitude and appreciation to your fellow Hawaiians.   https://ourvoiceny.com/trump-greeted-unpleasant-surprise-arrived-hawaii/

PS be sure to give him a piece of volcanic rock as a parting gift. (Hawaiians will get that.)

I managed to flee downtown before they started shutting freeways down for the Occupant. My wife was not so lucky, so it's a good thing I was able to pick up the kids from school. 

Honestly Obama visited at least once a year for eight years and never caused this much hassle. It's as though Trump deliberately tried to figure out the worst possible time and place for his sleepover so as to inflict the most disruption. He literally shut down the city for half a day so he could sleep in a nice hotel and have steak for dinner. 

1 hour ago, Tech priest support said:

Being willfully ignorant does not, technically, make one a moron. (Which, BTW, was once a medical term for a measure of mental deficiency.)

Ironically, I'm willing to bet the Donald thought he was being complimentary to the Japanese.

16 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Being willfully ignorant does not, technically, make one a moron. (Which, BTW, was once a medical term for a measure of mental deficiency.)

Ironically, I'm willing to bet the Donald thought he was being complimentary to the Japanese.

Actually, good lord liaden, being willfully ignorant makes one far worse than an actual moron. A moron usually has some actual physical issue that impairs his cognitive function, be it genetic, injury or disease based. He cannot help his deficient intellect and should not be hated for what he does. A willfully ignorant person is so by choice and thus deserves hatred and contempt. 

This maybe a slight tangent here but maybe not. 

If you personally were asked to pick 4 new presidents to put on a new mount Rushmore, who would you pick?

For me:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Got America thru two terrible times, the great depression and ww2, cared about real people, was willing to law down the law on big business and made the right call on the Manhattan project.

Dwight D. Eisenhower.  Supreme Commander of allied forces in ww2. Oversaw the Marshall plan.  Made smart decision on the interstate hiway project, warned Americans about the dangers of the military industrial complex.

Lyndon B. Johnson. Declared that all men are created equal and justice for all were not just for white males. Backed it up.

Barack Hussein Obama. Took down the whites only sign over the oval office, stopped the massive economic hemorrhaging left by the GWB regime, showed great maturity, wisdom and restraint in the face of incredible childishness and hateful spite from the political opposition. 

2 hours ago, Tech priest support said:

I was just wondering what could happen if the Hawaiian populace pressured hotels to not grant a room to trump again due to the disruption his unwelcome visits cause.  Imagine a city where not one hotel would allow the ferengi in a toupee a room.

The residents of Mar a Lago have been complaining about the disruption Trump's frequent visits to his resort there have caused for the past year, without effect. The Guest in Chief doesn't acknowledge public pressure, and I doubt any establishment is yet willing to tell the POTUS he can't stay there.

2 hours ago, Tech priest support said:

If you personally were asked to pick 4 new presidents to put on a new mount Rushmore, who would you pick?

For me:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Got America thru two terrible times, the great depression and ww2, cared about real people, was willing to law down the law on big business and made the right call on the Manhattan project.

Dwight D. Eisenhower.  Supreme Commander of allied forces in ww2. Oversaw the Marshall plan.  Made smart decision on the interstate hiway project, warned Americans about the dangers of the military industrial complex.

Lyndon B. Johnson. Declared that all men are created equal and justice for all were not just for white males. Backed it up.

Barack Hussein Obama. Took down the whites only sign over the oval office, stopped the massive economic hemorrhaging left by the GWB regime, showed great maturity, wisdom and restraint in the face of incredible childishness and hateful spite from the political opposition. 

Of those listed above, I would choose Roosevelt.  Say what you will about his expansion of the role of government in society, he was President during the two greatest American crises of the 20th Century, just as Lincoln was President during the greatest American crisis of the 19th century.  Add to that the fact that he served longer in office than any other President ever had--or ever will--and his place in history is assured.

Eisenhower would also make a worthy addition to Mount Rushmore, for the reasons you've listed.

As for Johnson and Obama--I would have to say no.  Whatever he was able to accomplish domestically, Johnson's failure to resolve the situation in Vietnam diminished American influence and prestige both here and abroad.  And while Obama's place in history is also assured, his seeming inability to advance his agenda in the face of the obstructionist opposition diminished his effectiveness in office--even if it did demonstrate that the days of racial enmity and discrimination are not as far behind us as we supposed.

Just my thoughts on the subject--take them as you will.

Ditto for FDR and Eisenhower. Some people might argue with some of Ike's policies, but he deserves more recognition for his service in WW2. I mean, there aren't many people of whom it can be argued that he saved the world. Not alone, but leading the Allied forces to victory in that war, against that foe, counts for more than the achievements of most other generals.

And I'd argue that FDR's expansion of the Federal government was a necessary thing. The government is flipping huge because the USA is flipping huge.

But I'd also put some obscure 19th-century president on Rushmore II just so people would go, "Huh?" and look the guy up. Maybe Chester A. Arthur. I have no idea what he did in office, which is the point, but he has a funny name. (Millard Fillmore is too easy a target. Besides, he later ran as the candidate for the Know-Nothing Party -- its actual name, ye gods -- which counts as an active blot on his name.)

Dean Shomshak

9 hours ago, Tech priest support said:

I don't think I could support creation of a such a monument at this time, and I'd want at least 60 years after the death of anyone I'd put on such a thing.  Way too premature, and far too subject to latter-day partisanship.