Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

• Please log in to reply
4086 replies to this topic

#4081 Iuz the Evil

Iuz the Evil

Evil Demigod

• 3,792 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:09 PM

Everywhere I see President Trump in his current job, whether in domestic politics or international diplomacy, his words and actions tell me that he's out of his depth. He simply does not understand the game he's trying to play.

Agree 100%. What is the outcome he's attempting to achieve? Alienate a Senator who's got no incentive to support him?
"Elections have consequences." -John McCain "Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential." -Barack Obama

#4082 wcw43921

wcw43921

Occasionally Makes Sense

• 3,094 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:13 PM

John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer

No word yet on whether this ends his career in the Senate.

Firm, united let us be,
Rallying round our liberty,
As a band of brothers joined,
Peace and safety we shall find.

"As The Crusader I pledge my services to my country and the cause of democracy.  I will champion the rights of the weak and the oppressed! I will fight crime and evil with relentless fury!"--The American Crusader, Thrilling Comic #19, August 1941

#4083 Pariah

Pariah

21st Century Schizoid Dad

• 14,456 posts

Posted Today, 06:41 AM

It's not like you actually need a brain to be in the Senate these days.

Too far?

Sinclair: "No boom?"
Garibaldi: "No boom."
Ivanova: "No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

#4084 Pariah

Pariah

21st Century Schizoid Dad

• 14,456 posts

Posted Today, 06:42 AM

Everywhere I see President Trump in his current job, whether in domestic politics or international diplomacy, his words and actions tell me that he's out of his depth. He simply does not understand the game he's trying to play.

I believe this phenomenon was called The Peter Principle, back in the day.

Sinclair: "No boom?"
Garibaldi: "No boom."
Ivanova: "No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

#4085 BoloOfEarth

BoloOfEarth

Smell? It Sphinx!

• 10,571 posts

Posted Today, 06:47 AM

John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer

No word yet on whether this ends his career in the Senate.

Looks like some in the GOP leadership may get their wish

Way to keep it classy, GOP.

"Sometimes getting PCs together is like herding kittens...nuclear powered kittens at that." - phoenix240

"The Internet. It's like an idiot assembly plant." - Lawnmower Boy

#4086 DasBroot

DasBroot

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 963 posts

Posted Today, 07:47 AM

But he's determined to win it - and he can't be ejected from the game for challenging every single call a ref makes so he'll keep on doing so.

He only really cares about his supporters (in so much as he cares about anyone) - that's why he's still acting like he's on the campaign trail: he doesn't care about the presidency - he only cares about being (re)elected to it.  This has been obvious the entire time and yet here we are.

"I threw a rock at him!"

*silence*

".... it was a *big* rock."

#4087 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 49,488 posts

Posted Today, 08:29 AM

As to the "abortion murders" the sample size is really small, and with only 10 incidents in 20+ years I cannot think of a single statistical test that could turn such low magnitude data into anything.  Though if you do know of such a test, I'll calculate it.

The first published Poisson test (1898), on the randomness of soldier deaths due to horse kicks in the Prussian army, suggests that this test could be run on this dataset to check the probability that murders of abortion clinic personnel really are randomly distributed over time. I have done Poisson tests on other datasets for the exact same reason (seeing if rare events were occuring in a way consistent with a truly uniform probability over time). My experience leads me to suspect that the uniform rate hypothesis will be rejected at a healthy confidence.
... abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.