Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/08/scientists-truth-fiction-twitter-bots?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Lab+notes+2016&utm_term=266836&subid=24646434&CMP=ema-3242

Political in its implications, not content, but since we are seeing the clear effects of the new era of muckraking/yellow journalism/outright lying in media with less and less focus on media literacy and education... just wondering what thoughts this thread has on this trend. As in many things, the internet didn't create new problems, but has the effect of vastly accelerating and expanding the problem.

3 hours ago, Christopher said:

Why do you insist Kim is Crazy? He is not. Everything he does is a logical action to stay in power:

Shelling South Morean towns and sinking South Korean destroyers is...risky. 

That said, this development makes me wonder if there isn’t some validity to the OPLAN 5015 hack theory. 

It's interesting that both Kim and Trump approach politics with the attitude of stirring up trouble and changing direction in order to sow confusion and uncertainty among their opponents and rivals; but Kim appears better at judging how far he can push and when to pull back, to maintain his own position. Makes sense, really. Kim Jong Un grew up in a shark tank where survival was top priority, and mistakes could quickly end your life. Trump's family's wealth and status has always insulated him from the worst consequences of his most asinine moves.

2 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/08/scientists-truth-fiction-twitter-bots?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Lab+notes+2016&utm_term=266836&subid=24646434&CMP=ema-3242

Political in its implications, not content, but since we are seeing the clear effects of the new era of muckraking/yellow journalism/outright lying in media with less and less focus on media literacy and education... just wondering what thoughts this thread has on this trend. As in many things, the internet didn't create new problems, but has the effect of vastly accelerating and expanding the problem.

"Do you know what a Super Saijan is? Just some filthy legend passed around the campfire by your ancestors like it was their own dung!"

Team Four Star Freeza to TFS Vegeta

26 minutes ago, Christopher said:

"Do you know what a Super Saijan is? Just some filthy legend passed around the campfire by your ancestors like it was their own dung!"

Team Four Star Freeza to TFS Vegeta

I will lose some geek cred here, as I'm admitting that while many of those words appear to be English, and are aligned in something that partially reflects a sentence about ancestral dung and vegetables, the particular order and intended content of that reply are lost on me.

Or... to be more succinct... "What?"

18 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

I will lose some geek cred here, as I'm admitting that while many of those words appear to be English, and are aligned in something that partially reflects a sentence about ancestral dung and vegetables, the particular order and intended content of that reply are lost on me.

Or... to be more succinct... "What?"

You ever heard ot this Anime "Dragonball"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball

There is a Parody of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYozPLpJRE&index=1&list=PL6EC7B047181AD013

Ah... a Dragonball reference. I remember, summer of '89, watching some bootleg Japanese VHS tapes of it. It had a look, full of extreme violence and cool super-martial arts visuals... but it made no sense. When it finally got ported over to the states, I heard that it scrubbed out a lot of the blood and violence, and remember being asked to watch an episode... and it had this guy with big hair getting all glowy... and after I went and made lunch, he was still just yelling and getting glowy... and then I went to work, and came home... and he was still getting bit brighter in his glowing...

... and yeah... never watched it again.

13 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

Ah... a Dragonball reference. I remember, summer of '89, watching some bootleg Japanese VHS tapes of it. It had a look, full of extreme violence and cool super-martial arts visuals... but it made no sense. When it finally got ported over to the states, I heard that it scrubbed out a lot of the blood and violence, and remember being asked to watch an episode... and it had this guy with big hair getting all glowy... and after I went and made lunch, he was still just yelling and getting glowy... and then I went to work, and came home... and he was still getting bit brighter in his glowing...

... and yeah... never watched it again.

You are not loosing Geek Cred. You are shooting it away with a Catapult.

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

She made it only for the PR, answered no actuall questions and walked out of her own Press Conference.

Oh, and did I mention she is not capable of answering simple yes/no questions during her confiramtion hearing?

11 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

If character flaws and deception could sink Donald Trump's political career, it would have already happened. The people who are against him don't need more. The people who are for him don't care.

i know but it would be okay to me that the one crime he committed that he could have gotten away with if he was competent was the one crime that led to removal or jail. 

CES

The bad news: Chaos in the White House continues as the Secretary of State is fired.

The good news: The systematic destruction of the State Department may be slowed with the firing of Rex Tillerson.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/13/politics/congress-reaction-rex-tillerson-mike-pompeo-white-house-donald-trump/index.html

And Mike Pompeo (Director of the CIA) is in. (The new Director is the first woman in the position, so that's nice. Gina Haspel.) I guess will find out if he'll be any kinder to the State Department.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

Working for the WH seems akin to working in the Imperial Admiralty under Vader.

I've noticed Donald Trump is like many other bosses who insist on personal loyalty to themselves; he doesn't return it in kind. People who don't toe his line or become problematic for him are unceremoniously dumped. He's repeatedly done the same with his business partners when a deal goes south -- preserve himself by leaving them holding the bag.

What worries me is, right now his business partners are everyone in America.

Trump's not a businessman.  He's a grifter and a fraud.  Thus, everyone in America is not a business partner, but a mark.

Meanwhile, Trump fires Rex Tillerson via Twitter after Tillerson spoke out against Trump's owners.  Trump then fired Tillerson's aide, Steve Goldstein, for contradicting Trump on the details of Tillerson's termination.

As for Pompeo...