Captain America Hydra

• Please log in to reply
425 replies to this topic

#1 Pariah

Pariah

21st Century Schizoid Dad

• 14,258 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

Have we all seen this newest bit of nonsense now?

'Captain America' twist stuns comic book world

For those who haven't seen it yet, it can be summarized in one picture (Spoilered for size):

Spoiler

The Powers That Be at Marvel, Inc. solemnly swear that this isn't a gimmick, a retcon, or a marketing ploy.  It's the real, never-before-revealed history of their flagship character.

Yeah, sure.

Cause for concern? Worry? Hatred of Marvel and its entire empire? Well, maybe not.

Everyone, Please Stop Freaking Out About That Ridiculous Captain America Reveal

Still a stupid move, though. YMMV

Sinclair: "No boom?"
Garibaldi: "No boom."
Ivanova: "No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

#2 Hermit

Hermit

Resplendent Recluse

• 40,523 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

"To be fair, I’m certain Marvel will do something fun with it..."

Hahahahaha

oh heh... oh, he's serious.

Or maybe he means fun for Marvel in a "I enjoy trolling the common folk" kind of way

“I've looked at the world for quite a few years now and I've found that if I don't laugh, I'll probably end up crying."
- Prince Kheldar of Drasnia aka Silk

Meet the People of Campaign City

The Adventures of "Fish Guy"

#3 Starlord

Starlord

I was STARLORD b4 Marvel stole my name!

• 9,406 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

Is there an emoticon for 'too jaded to care anymore'?

• Pariah likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 Durzan Malakim

Durzan Malakim

Skilled Normal

• 98 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

Same fecal matter, different day. I'm sure this event will go over as well as previous shocking revelations such as:

Thankfully, the MCU usually filters and edits these idiotic plot lines into something better than the source material. I think I'll wait for the movie.

My prediction:

Spoiler

#5 Lawnmower Boy

Lawnmower Boy

On the bench

• 3,114 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:32 PM

Same fecal matter, different day. I'm sure this event will go over as well as previous shocking revelations such as:

Thankfully, the MCU usually filters and edits these idiotic plot lines into something better than the source material. I think I'll wait for the movie.

My prediction: They "Winter Soldier" Captain America by claiming his deep freeze caused him to forget his programming. He struggles to decide which identity is real and eventually decides to be the hero despite his "dark" origins.

Well, you see, Captain America/Steve Rogers is  the epitome of a New Deal American. A victim of the Great Depression, he looks to the ideals of the Republic to restore it to social (and economic) health. Progress is possible without sacrificing the liberties on which America is founded. You can have a (progressive) income tax and the Bill of Rights, etc.

Whereas HYDRA is, in this incarnation, a sort of non-anti-semitic version of the Bund or KKK: a response to the Great Depression that calls for saving the Republic by  hatin' more people --and then doing something about the hatin', which presumably involves paying rich people to oppress them more. (Scapegoats to be named later.)

So it's like chocolate and peanut butter --two great tastes that go great together!

Or, uhm, actually, on second thought, that's a terrible analogy. It's more like matter and anti-matter: two things that only a moron or an editor-in-chief would put in the same solar system.

Though if this turns out to be Ultimate Captain "Do you think this A stands for France" America, that would be a giggle. As long as we don't get into the later Ultimate stuff, where bad-fascist Captain America was sometimes set up to be the sane point of view. (Though in an obviously wrong way, given that there's nothing wrong with death murder cannibalism death kill incest murder cannibalism incest death.) 

• gewing likes this

Feh. Logic is overrated gibberish.

#6 Hermit

Hermit

Resplendent Recluse

• 40,523 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

I was thinking of going back to a Cap avatar as my 'Radiostar' one is of limited appeal

Maybe I should stick with Aquaman... the Monarchy you can trust!

• Hyper-Man likes this

“I've looked at the world for quite a few years now and I've found that if I don't laugh, I'll probably end up crying."

#7 Hermit

Hermit

Resplendent Recluse

• 40,523 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

Interesting article

http://www.newsarama...cap-be-cap.html

#8 megaplayboy

megaplayboy

Left Hook of Justice, Esq

• 20,455 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:45 PM

I find #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend completely inoffensive compared to retconning Cap to be a Hydra sleeper agent.
  • SKJAM! and Shadow Hawk like this
ROOMMATE WANTED in Northeast DC, beginning January 1st. If interested, please PM me.

#9 Hermit

Hermit

Resplendent Recluse

• 40,523 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

I find #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend completely inoffensive compared to retconning Cap to be a Hydra sleeper agent.

I find the first well intentioned but not well thought out bordering on stupid. Cap being a Hydra sleeper agent? Offensive and PROFOUNDLY stupid

I swear, it's almost as if Marvel decided DC's Rebirth talk this week was getting too much attention (for good or ill) and pulled this #### just get the limelight back

• gewing likes this

#10 Enforcer84

Enforcer84

Imperial Viceroy

• 64,183 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:13 PM

Given all the Thor/Loki slash that came after Avengers the #GiveCapABoyfriend calls are nothing new.

...and It could work. 

Steve's relationships have been pretty tepid (save for Diamondback I loved that pairing) and being a closeted gay man in the 40's is highly likely. 

Not saying I'm down for it - but it would be an easier sell for me than he was a nazi the whole time. 

• bigdamnhero likes this

"Here's my favorite little fact. If anyone is ever described to you as a nutritionist, just be slightly wary, right? What they're saying may be perfectly true, but "nutritionist" isn't a protected term. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. "Dietician" is the legally protected term. "Dietician" is like "dentist", and "nutritionist" is like "tooth-i-ologist." - Dara O'Briain

2014: Hero A Day, 10 Year Anniversary Thread.
2009: Else Earth Gods of Olympus
Project 2006:
DC/Marvel Write up compilation
Project 2004:
Hero A Day Thread

#11 Lawnmower Boy

Lawnmower Boy

On the bench

• 3,114 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

Captain America, Iron Man, Green Lantern: the superheros who can be gay no problem. (With Wonder Woman, the main objection is that she's just too on-the-nose. Like, what else you got?) (Reed and Ben, you've got to deal with Alicia, and you lose Namor as a possibility, because it means that no only are he and Sue a thing, but they have two kids.) Weirdly enough, the one where you just can't go there is the one who originates the whole line of thinking: Batman and Robin. Because, just yuck. Though with the heat that the Bruce/Selena pairing has generated in recent years, that's no great loss. 

At the expense of privileging live action over four-colour, which super-couple in the media today has more chemistry right now than Steve Rogers and Bucky?

• Enforcer84, Pattern Ghost and bigdamnhero like this

Feh. Logic is overrated gibberish.

#12 Enforcer84

Enforcer84

Imperial Viceroy

• 64,183 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:24 PM

Bats is already on the hook for child endangerment. 

"Here's my favorite little fact. If anyone is ever described to you as a nutritionist, just be slightly wary, right? What they're saying may be perfectly true, but "nutritionist" isn't a protected term. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. "Dietician" is the legally protected term. "Dietician" is like "dentist", and "nutritionist" is like "tooth-i-ologist." - Dara O'Briain

Project 2006:
Project 2004:
Hero A Day Thread

#13 Hermit

Hermit

Resplendent Recluse

• 40,523 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

At the expense of privileging live action over four-colour, which super-couple in the media today has more chemistry right now than Steve Rogers and Bucky?

Yeah, Sam and Bucky getting excited to watch Steve kiss a girl ;)

The Voyeur community will be thrilled to have representation at last :D

#14 McCoy

McCoy

RINO & Proud!

• 21,882 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Spoiler

• gewing likes this
15th member of the Pantheon, I hereby declare myself Board God of Alternate Sexuality and Third Party Candidates.

In my pocket is a device that can access the sum total of human knowledge. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get into arguments with strangers.

Avatar by lemming. Thanks Again!

#15 Enforcer84

Enforcer84

Imperial Viceroy

• 64,183 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

or is it the other way around?

• Scott Baker likes this

Project 2006:
Project 2004:
Hero A Day Thread

#16 Doc Shadow

Doc Shadow

Pulp Adventurer

• 906 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

The only way that Marvel will stop pulling this sh!t is when people stop buying the comics. In large numbers. If 20 people cancel their subs they couldn't care less. But when 20,000 do then they get interested in a hurry.  

So stop thinking "Oh it will get better. I'll just stick it out until it does." Cancel your subs, all of them. Organize people you know who are comic readers and get them to cancel. And their friends, and their friends, and so on. Pretty soon you've got a grass roots protest that's costing Marvel low five figures or more a month in lost sales. Write them and let them know why you've cancelled. That you were a loyal reader of 10 to 15 titles a month but now you've cancelled everything and this is why.

And don't go buying them off the rack! Marvel is a business, all they care about is their cash flow. So hit them in the wallet. It's the only place they'll feel it or respect it.

• aylwin13, gewing, Pariah and 1 other like this
"This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - No, you move." ~ Captain America

#17 aylwin13

aylwin13

Paladin Mk.II

• 13,799 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:58 PM

I'm glad I got out when I did.  :no:

* former collector since 1996 *

• Lord Mhoram likes this

Cloth shopping bags: the environmentally-friendly way to get your bottled water to your Hummer. - Comedian Heywood Banks

And speaking of Hummers: If you need a war vehicle to drive around town, maybe you need to work on your people skills. - Comedienne Karen Rontowski

#18 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,647 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

I survived 'time-travelling Kid Tony', Cap fans can survive this. 

• Lawnmower Boy likes this
I'm gonna live forever. So far so good.
Ne'er will the light of liberty and wisdom be extinguished

"And if I don't hang around, our old gambling grounds, it does not mean that I've forgotten, we believed, and I still do" -- Don Walker of Cold Chisel

#19 Enforcer84

Enforcer84

Imperial Viceroy

• 64,183 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

Ok How long ago did they kill Steve? And then Made him Old? I swear the half-life of these big changes is being numbered in weeks. Or time is going too fast for my old brain to comprehend.

• Pattern Ghost and Durzan Malakim like this

Project 2006:
Project 2004:
Hero A Day Thread

#20 assault

assault

Exenor!

• 6,041 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

:rofl: Master level fan trolling.

It could actually be an incredibly cool story line, in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. In the hands of a hack... not so much. Obviously it should ultimately more or less restore the classic set up.

I could see it working. The main thing is to avoid doing permanent damage to the idea of the character.

See: Hall Jordan goes mad and kills everyone, Hank Pym is a violent abusive jerk, etc.

The character in my avatar is Captain Atom.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Captain America, Hydra