What is a Ninja?

Mister E

You have to break the word down into its individual components.  Nin which sounds like the first sound in nincompoop which is another way of saying stupid and ja which I think is the German word for you.  Clearly, it is some kind German insult.  How it got associated with the Japanese, I have no idea.  Maybe, it has something to do with their alliance in WW2.

Who told you "ja" is German for "you" and why did you believe them?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary tells me "nincompoop" is from a Latin phrase meaning "not mentally competent." I'm not sure I believe it.

You have to break the word down into its individual components.  Nin which sounds like the first sound in nincompoop which is another way of saying stupid and ja which I think is the German word for you.  Clearly, it is some kind German insult.  How it got associated with the Japanese, I have no idea.  Maybe, it has something to do with their alliance in WW2.

I can assure you that you are 100% percent correct that it is Japogerman but 100% wrong that it is an insult.

It is actually a kind of Japanese-German cocktail consisting of gin ("nin" - 1940s Japanese couldn't speak the "g") and Jägermeister ("ya" - there was a war-related shortage of Jays at the end of WW2 and since Japanese has no umlauts so "ä" was changed to "a").

Gin is not excatly a Japanese beverage but both nations were rather confident that it would be after the occupation of the UK and its colonies.

And, anyway, there wa sno way in hell that you could get Sake to Germany during the war anyhow (hey, we were alreday low on Jays!).

And that is all and the full truth in that matter. Ehrlich!