Cumulative + Damage Shield Question

g3taso

I like the thought of Damage Shield, attacking those who attack my character. My question is regarding this power:

Aggressive Defense:  Suppress BODY 0 1/2d6, Uncontrolled (+1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Cumulative (24 points; +1 1/4) (10 Active Points); OIF (; -1/2), Others Only (-1/2)

so as I undersand it suppresses some BODY as a damage shield (and adding to attacks I make), with the suppress factor increasing with every hit/grab made against me as well as attacks I make against others until all attacks are suppressing 24pts of BODY = 12 BODY.  If I am wrong please correct me. Also, what is Uncontrolled contributing as an advantage here? What happens if I just drop it?

Sorry, I'm just making sure I don't go off half cocked. I really like the idea, but it seems I could interpret it a couple of ways.

Uncontrolled means it keeps working even if you fall unconscious, get stunned, etc.  It also requires you to feed it endurance when you turn it on and runs until that END is used up. Not sure that is the effect you want.

Not sure how you are getting 10 AP for that? 5*3.5 = 17.5 or 17 AP. You cannot take "Others Only" on an Damage Shield attack, it is intrinsically part of the power. If you drop uncontrolled, it goes down to 15 AP.

Just FYI, it would cost you 2 END per phase to keep this shield up. And then an additional 2 END per person hit. So lets say 6 villains agents hit you. That phase, you will spend 14 END on the damage shield.

- E

You are right about uncontrolled being absolutely wrong, and your point about how you could swamp yourself under with END is well taken. Here's the revised power revised your ideas, and conveniently the same points.

Aggressive Defense:  Suppress BODY 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Cumulative (24 points; +1), Continuous (+1) (22 Active Points)

Another factor for Uncontrolled is that if the Uncontrolled power is bought in a framework, you can switch slots (or reallocate your pool) to do something else while the Uncontrolled power continues to function.  Whether right/wrong for this build, that's something worth remembering about the Uncontrolled advantage.

Also, I believe since your rebuild switched to a full 1d6 of Suppress, your max from the cumulative advantage's three doublings would be 6*2*2*2=48 ... not 24.

Last, by making the rebuilt version Continuous, the target is going to take the Suppress phase after phase without you having to hit him/her again (and without hitting you over and over).  You may wish to consider the amount of bookwork this will generate if you intend to use it on multiple targets ... as the faster you are, the more there will be to keep track of and the more cumbersome for your entire group (in real life) it will be when using this in combat.  Food for thought....

It will work fine in combat if you can get a GM to approve it. You are 2 levels into "GM Approval required", with Suppress and 0 End to Maintain. With the 0 end to maintain you have to set a common way for someone to recover from the suppress, which turns it off instantly. So for instance if it is flames, they can douse themselves in water, spend a round rolling on the ground, etc. 

It would still cost END every phase, just not to maintain on every target. Continuous is no more in 6e, it is called Constant. I think you should do a good bit of reading on page 197, 6e1. 

I think you should do a good bit of reading on page 197, 6e1. 

I think he's a 5er player given the reference to Suppress and use of Continuous.  After all, in 6E this would be a Drain with the Costs Endurance to Maintain limitation (i.e. 6e's version of Suppress) ... and most likely a Damage Over Time advantage.

I have seen Steve make a ruling before stating that if Adjustment Powers are the only reason a character is at Negative Body then the character will spring back to life once the Adjustment effects have stopped.

HM

I would be curious as to the reasoning a character would be different than an object (which are specifically stated to be destroyed at 0 body right in drain itself)

Also

A character reduced to negative his BODY solely due to an Adjustment Power dies. - Champions Complete, pg 47

Maybe he's talking about a mixed effect - like if a character with 10 body who had already taken 7 body is reduced to -10 body because of 14 points of drain pushing him below the threshold (at least it doesn't change the threshold to confuse things even more)? Even still, that would be an odd call.

"Mostly dead" indeed.

If they'd taken 5 body and then a 7 body drain they'd recover to 5 body when the drain ended, of course - but that's not 'dead'.

I have seen Steve make a ruling before stating that if Adjustment Powers are the only reason a character is at Negative Body then the character will spring back to life once the Adjustment effects have stopped.

HM

I've seen that also. 

I would be curious as to the reasoning a character would be different than an object (which are specifically stated to be destroyed at 0 body right in drain itself)

Probably the same reason inanimate objects are destroyed by drains: they cannot recover.  However, "official ruling" or not, I'd say its up to the GM based on the special effect.